Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 09:06
rotorman wrote:
Hi everybody, I am in for R1.

I am struggling with essay 3.

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

It's becoming very difficult for me to get a correct approach for this question.
Can I state new experiences, which I have not mentioned in any other essay.
Using a third party perspective :x , In this case, I can't explain other good experiences which are just summarized
in my resume.
The answer will become like this.
This person have good xyz skills. So, he should be taken :-D
I am really confused.
What's your approach to this essay ?

I haven't started these essays yet, but another way to look at it is from the perspective of what makes an mba beneficial. A lot of it is group work, networking, etc. I am probably going to look for examples in my past where I have either worked in a team or led a group, etc. I believe you want to leave the person reading this essay thinking that you would be an asset to the school.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 18:32
rotorman wrote:

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

It's becoming very difficult for me to get a correct approach for this question.
Using a third party perspective :x , In this case, I can't explain other good experiences which are just summarized
in my resume.
I am really confused.

I feel your pain. I have myself fully rewritten this essay three times. Why you don't write in first person as "I did ....,and learned..... That is why I'm going to be...."?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 96

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 18:43
alexBLR wrote:
rotorman wrote:

in my resume.
I am really confused.

I feel your pain. I have myself fully rewritten this essay three times. Why you don't write in first person as "I did ....,and learned..... That is why I'm going to be...."?

This essay is where you show HOW your skills fit with Kellogg. So let's say you have 4 years of consulting experience, how does it fit into the Kellogg community? You could lead a consulting club, head up a case competition, or help students in other industries make the transition to consulting. Do you play a sport? Maybe you can get a weekly league going. If you can find a way to knit your skills, interests, and experiences into the fabric of Kellogg then you've done your job.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 04:09
In addition to the above advice, this essay is a chance to show why you're an interesting person who I'd want to spend 2 years of my life with. So while you definitely want to show fit with Kellogg, you should also try and dig deep and go beyond saying which clubs you're going to get involved with, or how you're a great team player. Say why you're passionate about ABC and that's why you plan to get involved with the ABC club. Or how you grew up working on a vinyard, so you'd be a great leader of Cork n' Screw. There will be literally thousands of applicants talking about teamwork and collaboration, or how they are going to get involved by leading XYZ club, so try to think what it is about you that makes you different from the rest.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 05:31
alexBLR wrote:

+1, it took me 4 full rewrites but I now feel like it's my strongest essay.

In a nutshell, I focus on how my background and experiences (especially non-work related) will allow me to impact the Kellogg community. I tried to use this essay to bring up anything that essays #1, #2, and #4 left out.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM
WE 1: Oil/ Energy- construction
WE 2: Power/ Energy- R&D
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:15
@MDF..

I think we can't include anything new in this essay.
remember we have to see from the perspective of Kellogg student.
It should be like a conclusion of what one has presented in rest of the application, directing his/her strengths for the benefit of Kellogg community.

I have already written this essay twice, and still thinking of rewriting it again.
As written by clear admit blog.
Essay 3: This is one of the trickier questions out there in the MBA admissions world, as the request that applicants take a third-party perspective on their own applications virtually prohibits them from introducing any new information in this essay, as they must evaluate their own candidacy based only upon the materials that they are submitting in the application. The key is to use this response to draw the inferences that you would hope the reader to make based on your application, perhaps explicitly commenting on themes that run through your experience or drawing connections between your goals and some aspect of your background.
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:18
rotorman wrote:
@MDF..

It should be like a conclusion of what one has presented in rest of the application, directing his/her strengths for the benefit of Kellogg community.

I have already written this essay twice, and still thinking of rewriting it again.
Essay 3: This is one of the trickier questions out there in the MBA admissions world, as the request that applicants take a third-party perspective on their own applications virtually prohibits them from introducing any new information in this essay, as they must evaluate their own candidacy based only upon the materials that they are submitting in the application. The key is to use this response to draw the inferences that you would hope the reader to make based on your application, perhaps explicitly commenting on themes that run through your experience or drawing connections between your goals and some aspect of your background.

That's how I took this too. But remember, we're not confined to only what we've written in the other 3 essays. There's information on your resume and application that you can use too.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM
WE 1: Oil/ Energy- construction
WE 2: Power/ Energy- R&D
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:22
cheetarah1980 wrote:
rotorman wrote:
@MDF..

That's how I took this too. But remember, we're not confined to only what we've written in the other 3 essays. There's information on your resume and application that you can use too.

I have not quoted for the essays, but for the whole application which includes resume..
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:27
rotorman wrote:

I disagree. You have four essays to explain yourself and I do not think that one of those four essays should simply summarize the other three.

I kind of agree with the quote your posted: "The key is to use this response to draw the inferences that you would hope the reader to make based on your application, perhaps explicitly commenting on themes that run through your experience or drawing connections between your goals and some aspect of your background."

Remember, the question is fairly vague. It asks asks "Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community?"

In essays #1, #2, #4 I did not explicitly say how I was going to impact the Kellogg community. This is something new that I'll bring up in essay #3.

And more importantly, if you look at the other 3 essays:

Essay 1 asks about your goals and your career progression
Essay 2 asks about leadership
Essay 4 (I chose b) asks about something surprising in my life

What's missing here? You have to think about essay #3 in the big picture.

Teamwork, background, and values are missing. I also focused on writing about what Jerz mentioned earlier: "this essay is a chance to show why you're an interesting person who I'd want to spend 2 years of my life with"

I fused those things together to come up with my essay #3. Very little, if any, of my essay reflects to information I touched on within my other 3 essays.

Manager
Manager

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:30
rotorman wrote:
@MDF..

I really don't see why you can't introduce in this essay new qualities of your personality, or use experiences that you have not mentioned in other essays. May be you have something to offer that did not fit well in the themes of other essays. I would think that if the intention of this essay was evaluation of one's profile based on the information already provided adcom would be a bit more clear by pointing it out in the topic of the essay.
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 06:37
MDF wrote:
rotorman wrote:

I disagree. You have four essays to explain yourself and I do not think that one of those four essays should simply summarize the other three.

I kind of agree with the quote your posted: "The key is to use this response to draw the inferences that you would hope the reader to make based on your application, perhaps explicitly commenting on themes that run through your experience or drawing connections between your goals and some aspect of your background."

Remember, the question is fairly vague. It asks asks "Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community?"

In essays #1, #2, #4 I did not explicitly say how I was going to impact the Kellogg community. This is something new that I'll bring up in essay #3.

And more importantly, if you look at the other 3 essays:

Essay 1 asks about your goals and your career progression
Essay 2 asks about leadership
Essay 4 (I chose b) asks about something surprising in my life

What's missing here? You have to think about essay #3 in the big picture.

Teamwork, background, and values are missing. I also focused on writing about what Jerz mentioned earlier: "this essay is a chance to show why you're an interesting person who I'd want to spend 2 years of my life with"

I fused those things together to come up with my essay #3. Very little, if any, of my essay reflects to information I touched on within my other 3 essays.

Not to nitpick, but I think we're saying the same thing. What we mean by "not bringing in new information" is introducing a past or current job/extracurricular/hobby/interest that hasn't been mentioned anywhere in the application. If you're evaluating your application from a 3rd party perspective how would that person know that you spent 6 months building a school in Honduras if that's not mentioned anywhere else in the application. The new information in Essay 3 should be about how you will impact, add value, and fit in at Kellogg BASED on the information already presented. So let's say you ran several marathons and mention it in your resume. You give them what you want them to conclude from that information (i.e. you like to challenge yourself, enjoy athletics, might be a little bit crazy cause 26.2 miles is no joke, etc.). I believe that's what we're all trying to say in our different ways.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 06:22
My PT1 is in and my interview is officially set for early October on campus!

VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 07:11
MDF wrote:

Woohoo!! Good luck! Let us know what you think of the school.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 07:19
Nice!! the deadline to submit part I for on campus interview is Oct 18th, right?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 16:45
cheetarah1980 wrote:
MDF wrote:

Woohoo!! Good luck! Let us know what you think of the school.

Thanks cheetarah! This will be my 2nd trip to the campus. I visited last September when I began researching MBA programs. I can't wait to go back--this time for an interview!

Beautiful campus, incredible location, amazing faculty and student body...awesome program all around. It truly is the most student oriented and collaborative MBA program that you could ever imagine.

I cannot speak highly enough of the impression I obtained of the program after visiting campus last year. Truly a one-of-a-kind program!

Manager
Manager

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 17:22
Hi everyone,
I was working on first part of application and ran into the problem. In "Academic Information" there is a section "Other Colleges or Universities Attended".
I have attended non-US university for 2 years before I came to US. I was able to find the name of the institution in the list of the options but I'm not sure what to put for Degree Awarded and Date Degree Granted fields. Anyone came across the same situation or have any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 10:39
Hemantuec wrote:
Nice!! the deadline to submit part I for on campus interview is Oct 18th, right?

Yes, for on campus interviews the Part I deadline is 10/18
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 06:23
Has anyone had trouble registering for the diversity preview weekend?
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 06:26
edoy56 wrote:
Has anyone had trouble registering for the diversity preview weekend?

Haven't even tried yet. All of these diversity events are making my head spin! I think registration just opened yesterday.

Manager
Manager

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 06:53
alexBLR wrote:
Hi everyone,
I was working on first part of application and ran into the problem. In "Academic Information" there is a section "Other Colleges or Universities Attended".
I have attended non-US university for 2 years before I came to US. I was able to find the name of the institution in the list of the options but I'm not sure what to put for Degree Awarded and Date Degree Granted fields. Anyone came across the same situation or have any suggestions?

For anyone who runs into the same problem: I just got the reply from Kellogg admissions office advising to leave those fields blank.
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2011, 06:53