Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 12:46
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
Done with my interview and as promised I am going to break the trend and share my experience
The process was exactly same as Sandy said it would be.
Type of Interview? hub interview with adcom.
Type of questions? Only 3 behavioral questions - teamwork, disagreement, leadership and then detailed questions based on my answers.
Stressful or serious? Not at all, my interviewer was very polite and friendly
Kept writing all the time? Yes and told me in the beginning itself and he would do so
Could I have done better? Yes. I was prepared with some broad stories but had to answer the detailed questions on the spot and could have done better on that front.

I hope this was helpful and all the best to those yet to interview.

I had my interview on campus yesterday and also met FN and DuckPond (those guys rock). I completely second mbaaspirant11 with her description - my experience was precisely the same. The only thing I would add - we had a brief intro at the beginning of the interview, and naturally a questions session in the end. The interviewer didn't seem to write any information we shared at those points. He mentioned that all he needed to report on were my answers to his 3 questions. The fact that we are invited to interview means that the adcom already likes our background, and reasons we want to be at Wharton. It seems that the interview is intended only to fill in blanks that cannot come across through the rest of the application. Relax and be yourself. If you over-prepare you will seem rehearsed and miss the point of this interview.

Thanks for the debrief! So it sounds like the interview is a lot like it was anticipated and how we did the mocks. Hopefully you get some good news in a month!

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:19
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
The fact that we are invited to interview means that the adcom already likes our background, and reasons we want to be at Wharton. It seems that the interview is intended only to fill in blanks that cannot come across through the rest of the application.

Thanks for the debrief. The bit about having already stated "why Wharton" in the application would make sense if any of the essays had asked that question. The 300 word professional objectives section didn't allow much space for this point and I don't feel like I've ever had the chance to explicitly address "why Wharton." I'd love to sneak it in somewhere, I was hoping the interview might be my opportunity.

No complaints though, just an observation. Back to interview preparations... :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (ding), Wharton (invite/ding), MIT (R1), Tuck (Nov), Darden (R2), Columbia (R2)
WE 1: GRE (Q:740 V:370)
WE 2: Career: 3 years in Online Marketing
WE 3: Came to US at the age of 18 from Ukraine
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:22
earlycareerMBA wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
The fact that we are invited to interview means that the adcom already likes our background, and reasons we want to be at Wharton. It seems that the interview is intended only to fill in blanks that cannot come across through the rest of the application.

Thanks for the debrief. The bit about having already stated "why Wharton" in the application would make sense if any of the essays had asked that question. The 300 word professional objectives section didn't allow much space for this point and I don't feel like I've ever had the chance to explicitly address "why Wharton." I'd love to sneak it in somewhere, I was hoping the interview might be my opportunity.

How do you guys prepare for interview? Are like practicing the speech?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:26
polasky wrote:
earlycareerMBA wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when i see people's status as preparing for interview etc :-D

I am not sure what to prepare...That may just be me..
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (ding), Wharton (invite/ding), MIT (R1), Tuck (Nov), Darden (R2), Columbia (R2)

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:30
How do you guys prepare for interview? Are like practicing the speech?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when i see people's status as preparing for interview etc :-D

I am not sure what to prepare...That may just be me..[/quote]

To be honest I just though about stories but I don't know what should i do: prepare speech? make an outline? I'm not sure what the questions are and the only way, i guess, i'm think to prepare is just thinking thru my answers. that's it...
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:34
Quote:

To be honest I just though about stories but I don't know what should i do: prepare speech? make an outline? I'm not sure what the questions are and the only way, i guess, i'm think to prepare is just thinking thru my answers. that's it...

do some mock interviews! :agrue:

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:35
polasky wrote:

I am not sure what to prepare...That may just be me..[/quote]

To be honest I just though about stories but I don't know what should i do: prepare speech? make an outline? I'm not sure what the questions are and the only way, i guess, i'm think to prepare is just thinking thru my answers. that's it...[/quote]

Well yeah - I don't see how much can you prep your speech or how much more can you learn about Wharton or how much more you can reaffirm those stories in your mind...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:40
staind wrote:
Quote:

What questions did you guys ask each other when you did Mock interviews Staind? if you dont mind sharing
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:44
goldgoldandgold wrote:
staind wrote:
Quote:

What questions did you guys ask each other when you did Mock interviews Staind? if you dont mind sharing

A bunch of behavioral questions on leadership, teamwork and persuasion. I can't remember the exact questions but Sandy posted some examples earlier on which is quite reflective of the theme we followed:

Tell me when you built a team in a formal setting (or informal setting)
A time you disagreed with someone on your team
Tell me when you helped resolve a dispute,
A time you were in a team and someone was a free rider
A time when you convinced someone to agree with you

I guess the key is knowing your stories well enough so you can adapt them to the specific question you're asked because most of us won't have unique stories for every type of question out there.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:46
staind wrote:

I guess the key is knowing your stories well enough so you can adapt them to the specific question you're asked because most of us won't have unique stories for every type of question out there.

So you can't have a different story for each question? or is it not recommended???
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:49
staind wrote:

A bunch of behavioral questions on leadership, teamwork and persuasion. I can't remember the exact questions but Sandy posted some examples earlier on which is quite reflective of the theme we followed:

Thanks a lot for sharing...and I agree on your reasoning that most of us won't have more than few stories..

Last edited by goldgoldandgold on 16 Nov 2010, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:50
polasky wrote:
staind wrote:

So you can't have a different story for each question? or is it not recommended???

No you should probably have a different story for each question the interviewer asks. But if there are 10 possible questions on leadership, I don't think most people would have 10 actual experiences on leadership! Say you have 4 experiences.. you'd have to be able to tell those 4 stories in a way that can answer all 10 possible questions. Does that make sense? This post might make things more clear:
http://adam-markus.blogspot.com/2008/10 ... ategy.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:29
Preparing is simple.
1. Join in a gmatclub group interview where you can see the interviewee and the interviewer side. I did one with staind and several other folks here and I saw my weaknesses.

2. Record yourself answering behavioural questions and watch yourself.

3. Don't try to memorize - it's obvious and they will throw you off by asking additional questions. Just practice thinking and answering on your feet.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:34
Quote:

Could you guys at least confirm or deny if these were the questions you were asked?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth (R1 - WL, Admit)
WE 1: Trading Strategy, S&T @ Supermajor

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 16:56
Just finished, it was VERY fast. I felt like my first two answers were very strong, and my last was a less strong and the interviewer continued to ask follow up questions on it. Definitely felt less 'conversational' than my other interview. Left me a bit flummoxed in the end. Already mentally writing off Wharton... ugh. Everything on here is accurate - my advice is to think about the layers of your experience - there's definitely an "And then?" component to this that Sandy mentioned. Kind of a let down that a place like Wharton wouldn't do the entire 'get to know you' interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 17:17
On a side note - I got the chance to say hello to JJ Cuttler in passing, while I was on campus. If you can visit - definitely go.

GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 17:19
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
On a side note - I got the chance to say hello to JJ Cuttler in passing, while I was on campus. If you can visit - definitely go.

Oh nice! Was he hanging around waiting to meet you outside your interview?

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 17:36
CyberC1 wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:

Oh nice! Was he hanging around waiting to meet you outside your interview?

No, I was waiting in front of a classroom for someone. The hallway was empty. JJ was walking through and I recognised him by photos. We chatted for a second and he went on (he was in a hurry).

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 17:53
Source: http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... nInterview
ClearAdmit Wiki wrote:
116. Round 1 / Alum / Off-Campus (Published November 16th, 2010)
The interview was 30 minutes long. After chatting for a few minutes, the interview explained that we would be conducting a behavioral interview and that she would be taking lots of notes. For the next 23 minutes I was asked a total of three questions.
Tell me when you have ensured that a task has been completed, when others seemed less focused than you on completing it.
Describe a time when you worked towards an important goal and had to address conflict between two or more team members.
Explain a time when you persuaded others to your way of thinking, when at first they didn’t agree with your idea.
For each of the answers, I explained the background of my story, the steps I took to achieve the goal and the end result. The interview did not ask any follow up questions – she just kept taking lots of notes.
In the last few minutes, she asked me if I had any questions for her. I asked about the Wharton partners program and why the career office and admissions office is overseen by the same person. That’s it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 18:13
Thanks for posting staind. Hopefully that will encourage others to do so.

Has anyone received those questions?
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2010, 18:13