Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

can i solve conditional probability using n(E)/n(S) approach

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

can i solve conditional probability using n(E)/n(S) approach [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 14:06
Q. there are two bags A and B; bag A contains 2 white and 3 black balls; bag B contains 3 white and 4 black balls. A bag is chosen at random find the probability that the ball drawn is white.

My answer : I am OK with P(W) = P(A,W)+ P(B,W)= 1/2 * 2/5 + 1/2 * 3/7 = 29/70 OK !!

but if I want to solve the same problem using the classical approach,

n(E) number of ways of selecting white ball
P(W) = ---- = -------------------------------------------------- then what ????
n(s) total number of ways of drawing a ball

I think! the no. of selecting white balls should be = (number of ways of selecting a bag = 2) * [(either take white ball from A = 2 ways) + (either
| |
and or
take white ball from B = 3 ways)]= 10 ways --------------
--------- but I know it is wrong.

Finding the number of ways of selecting white balls and total number of ways of drawing a balls.

-----------------------------------or-----------------------------------

the conditional probability problems can not be solved using n(E)/n(S) approach ??????? ------- but why ??

Please help me soon. I ma in a great need of it. Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Re: can i solve conditional probability using n(E)/n(S) approach [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 09:50
The short answer to all of this is no. Simply solve it the first way you mentioned.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: can i solve conditional probability using n(E)/n(S) approach [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 13:08
Thanks a lot
but why ?? please let me go into deep
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: can i solve conditional probability using n(E)/n(S) approach [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 07:24
ashmath wrote:
Q. there are two bags A and B; bag A contains 2 white and 3 black balls; bag B contains 3 white and 4 black balls. A bag is chosen at random find the probability that the ball drawn is white.

My answer : I am OK with P(W) = P(A,W)+ P(B,W)= 1/2 * 2/5 + 1/2 * 3/7 = 29/70 OK !!

but if I want to solve the same problem using the classical approach,

n(E) number of ways of selecting white ball
P(W) = ---- = -------------------------------------------------- then what ????
n(s) total number of ways of drawing a ball

I think! the no. of selecting white balls should be = (number of ways of selecting a bag = 2) * [(either take white ball from A = 2 ways) + (either
| |
and or
take white ball from B = 3 ways)]= 10 ways --------------
--------- but I know it is wrong.

Finding the number of ways of selecting white balls and total number of ways of drawing a balls.

-----------------------------------or-----------------------------------

the conditional probability problems can not be solved using n(E)/n(S) approach ??????? ------- but why ??

Please help me soon. I ma in a great need of it. Thanks in advance.

great question!

[P(a)=n(a)/total ]
[p(b)=n(b)/total]
[p(k)=n(k)/total] holds true if the following 3 conditions are met:

1.) events a, b, c, .. k are mutually exclusive - i.e. 2 events can not occur simultaneously. (e.g. for a coin, heads and tails can't occur simultaneously)
2.) a, b, c,...k are the only outcomes possible. ie. p(a)+p(b)+...p(k)=1 (for a coin toss, the possibilities are only heads and tails)
3.) Its a fair process. i.e. if a,b,c..k have equal sample sizes - probability that event a occurs = probability that event b occurs = ... probability that k occurs. (like in a fair coin the possibility of landing a head is 0.5 and so is that of landing a tail; unlike a biased coin - where every time a coin is tossed probability of heads is 0.4 or 0.5 or anything but 0.5).

Therefore, because probability of selecting a white ball from the first method is not equal to the probability of selecting a white ball from second method , you cannot calculate probability like the way you did. You need to use conditional probability. (through which you already calculated the answer - probability of selecting bag 1 then white + probability of selecting bag 2 then white)
Because the two whites have different probabilities you cannot just ADD the total cases and you should use conditional.

I hope that clears your doubt. If you are interested in doing more research and waste some more time during office hours, go through conditional probability text on wiki. Obviously, won't help much for GMAT. You won't need to worry about any of these 3 on GMAT questions. In almost all arenas of our lives, for that matter, these 3 hold true.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: can i solve conditional probability using n(E)/n(S) approach   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 07:24