Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Certain governments subsidize certain basic agricultural

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Certain governments subsidize certain basic agricultural [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2003, 10:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:39) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Certain governments subsidize certain basic agricultural products in order to guarantee an adequate domestic production of them. But subsidies encourage more intensive farming, which eventually leads to soil exhaustion and drastically reduced yields.

The situation above is most nearly similar to which one of the following situations with respect to the relationship between the declared intent of a government practice and a circumstance relevant to it?

(A) Certain governments subsidize theaters in order to attract foreign tourists. But tourists rarely choose a destination for the theatrical performances it has to offer.

(B) Certain governments restrict imports in order to keep domestic producers in business. But, since domestic producers do not have to face the full force of foreign competition, some domestic producers are able to earn inordinately high profits.

(C) Certain governments build strong armed forces in order to maintain the sort of discipline and morale that keeps armed forces strong, those forces must be used in actual combat periodically.

(D) Certain governments reduce taxes on business ventures are not always as successful as their owners hoped.

(E) Certain governments pass traffic laws in order to make travel safer. But the population-driven growth in volumes of traffic often has the effect of making travel less safe despite the passage of new traffic laws.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:22
The official answer of this one is C.

But, I can't see why ? Can anyone explain ? :roll:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:25
asandeep wrote:
The official answer of this one is C.

But, I can't see why ? Can anyone explain ? :roll:

hoo laaaa..!!

close your eyes and you will see all the weird things.. :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

huh [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 19:54
C, are you kidding me. What was the source for this question?

I picked E
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: huh [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 20:25
ftoor wrote:
C, are you kidding me. What was the source for this question?

I picked E

Its a LSAT question, but I guess the official answer is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2003, 15:55
I chose C, because is the most nearly similar to the situation described in the stimulus.It doesn't fit perfectly, but they asked for the most near similarity.

(E) - the population-driven growth is not a conseqence of the goverment policies. It will occur anyway.
The fact in the stimulus is that an intensive farming leads to reduced yiels. It goes without saying that goverment's policies caused a contra-effect.
  [#permalink] 25 Dec 2003, 15:55