Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dejected :-(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Dejected :-( [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2004, 23:45
Gave my first Powerprep today....got 630...something which I was not expecting...I know my limitations and that I'am not a genius...but having studied Kaplan and PR( a bit of Arco too) I thought my PP score should have been somewhere in the ballpark of 660-680.I wanted to be within the striking range for a 700 score and had I got 670 or so I would have said to myself that I'am on the right track.But alas..! that was not to be.
I would be giving my exam on 29 th March...so would have to run against time to gain some points.No matter how hard you try to dismiss your PP score and concentrate on your studies but at the back of your mind you do know that it represents your current scoring capability.For the record my breakup was 34 Verbal and 44 quant.I have just started studying OG...have no clue as to how to give my GMAT prep a boost?

Your opinions and advises in this regard are welcome.

Thanks,
Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2004, 23:52
Vivek, I strongly recommend you to buy some LSAT books and study the verbal from there. It is something I failed to do but will do in my next attempt. Many high scorers, Stoolfi, Vicky and many more did use the LSAT type of prep. For math, you have another month and I did not see you attempting many combination/permutation/probability questions. Are you comfortable with those questions? Those will certainly push you beyond the 44 quant score

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Dejected :-( [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2004, 03:35
vivek_dj wrote:
Gave my first Powerprep today....got 630...something which I was not expecting...I know my limitations and that I'am not a genius...but having studied Kaplan and PR( a bit of Arco too) I thought my PP score should have been somewhere in the ballpark of 660-680.I wanted to be within the striking range for a 700 score and had I got 670 or so I would have said to myself that I'am on the right track.But alas..! that was not to be.
I would be giving my exam on 29 th March...so would have to run against time to gain some points.No matter how hard you try to dismiss your PP score and concentrate on your studies but at the back of your mind you do know that it represents your current scoring capability.For the record my breakup was 34 Verbal and 44 quant.I have just started studying OG...have no clue as to how to give my GMAT prep a boost?

Your opinions and advises in this regard are welcome.

Thanks,
Vivek.

Practice test scores are given much more credibility than they deserve. I think practice tests are great for "pacing" yourself...but do not give too much importance to the results.

Powerprep is meant to be taken as close to the exam as possible. so you might want to consider taking your next powerprep only in the last week of march.

you will find guys doing great on practice tests and doing not so good on the actual gmat. you must realise that its better to know your weaknesses before the exam rather after the exam. you took a test, didnt do well. fine.. did you think it was just random ..or do you think it was lack of preparation. take a hard look and write those observations down somewhere. Work your way forward from today and try to take practice tests as often as you can.

I must tell you that it really should not bother you too much , BUT at the same time it is your responsibility to keep up the intensity of your preparation.

Take your gmat, if you dont do well, take it again. Keep your eye on the prize, thats your B-School admit.

For verbal , there is no better way to prepare than to "teach". Participate in discussions here , and analyze every SC and CR down to the last detail.
i mean , know why other options are wrong and try to explain it in your posts here.. for CR and RC's , work for official LSAT questions.
Give RC's as much importance as SC's and CR's. Remember, the key to crossing 40 in Verbal is Reading Comprehension. you will, i am sure, see many RC's questions in the first 15 questions. if you dont work on those well, you might not get to the really hard SC's and CR's.

For some Hard Math, I found Manhattan Gmat's question bank to be helpful. the questions force you to think differently and I had to work really hard (and fast!) to solve most of the problems.

I used Gmat Plus to keep track of my speed on the more "regular" Quant and verbal questions.

Make a error log and write every mistake you do ( i know its time consuming, but it works!) .

hope this helps
praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2004, 18:08
Praetorian, would you mind choosing an image for your signature that isn't quite so huge? It's hard to pay attention to what's in the post with that monstrous photo getting in the way. It's extremely distracting! I liked the smaller ones you used to use.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2004, 22:24
Thank you Paul and Praetorian...

Paul,
Yes even some of my other friends have advised me to go for LSAT books...and I wud be doing so...but I dont think I have the time to go thru 2-3 LSAT books.If you could recommend me one particular LSAT book...that would be great.
As for probability ...yes ur right I'm not a frequent attempter of the P& C
quetions coz Im not sure of my answer.But I guess I will be able to solve
exam level P & C problems...and not some of the challenging ones posted on this forum.

Praetorian,
Would like to take your word and get over the disappointment of PP1.
I would be taking my second PP a day or two before the exam.I took this exam coz I wanted a PP score which would not be skewed.

It was not random...it was the lack of preparation which caused the debacle,sply on the verbal part.RC seems to be my bane...and yes Im working on it.

I must have analsyed PP1 atleast 7 times and everytime I see the quant
questions I missed ..I kick myself...I would have done those questions on
any given day but not at that moment.I felt very comfortable giving the
exam...though I had to hurry a bit on the verbal section...I don't consider
timing to be a problem.I thought I was doing well on the verbal part when at the end of the exam I got 2 boldfaced question one of which I got wrong.

Would like to outline my strategy:
1) Finish stuyding OG-Round 1 till 29 th Feb ( Im sure you both wud agree
with me on this)

2)Go over the questions I got wrong during round 1...work them again and
make myself dead sure that I have grasped the concept- 8/9 th March.

3)Solve Vstudy/LSAT books/GMAT Plus problems... till 20 th March...

4)Start giving my last round of practice exams...2 PR,2 Kaplan,2 Arco...and paper tests.

5) I would go for second PP on 27 th March...2 days before the real test.

( All this while I would be giving atleast one practice test on weekends.)

I know some of the guys on this forum...wud be thinking why the hell am I
posting all this crap...but I just wanted let out some steam...so..!

Thanks again guys...your words mean a lot to me.

Let me know your views.

Wishes,
Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2004, 06:41
Of all the advice given here, my absolute favorite (and my philosophy exactly) is Praetorian's advice to learn by teaching. -- and that is what participation in forums such as this allow you to do every day.

I have found that the single best way to crystalize knowledge is to explain something in your own words. Only then do you truly own it.

When you answer a question (esp a RC or CR one) take the time to explain in your own words exactly why you picked you answer and why all the others are incorrect. this will be extremely difficult at first, but as you get better at it, your mind will suddenly go AHA!!!!! and it will become routine. Really.

Throughout my college career, I have always volunteered to tutor other students, even in classes that I was not quite up to speed in. This forced me to undertstand the material -- probably better than if I were to repeat the class.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2004, 13:17
Thank you for your words AkamaiBrah....
Would try to stand by yours and Praetorian's philosophy.

Vivek.

Last edited by vivek_dj on 23 Feb 2004, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Recommendations for RC/CR [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2004, 15:22
Hi Praetorian:

You mentioned using LSAT books for RC & CR can you suggest some books.

My test date is on 3/28.

Thanks,

Wiseguy
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Recommendations for RC/CR [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2004, 23:48
wiseguy wrote:
Hi Praetorian:

You mentioned using LSAT books for RC & CR can you suggest some books.

My test date is on 3/28.

Thanks,

Wiseguy

here are the names

10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests
10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests

I have both of these official LSAT preparation books. Send me a message if you would like to buy. Just one of the two is more than enough.

You can also buy these books from the official website of LSAT.
https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/Shop_B ... ?po=Y#prep

Practice regularly and keep an error log. Once you think that you have prepared enough, start timing yourself. you will then know how well you perform under time pressure.

I also ask that you participate in discussions here. its very helpful.

hope this helps
good luck
praetorian
Re: Recommendations for RC/CR   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2004, 23:48