Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Emory or Reapply? [#permalink]
hellocahty wrote:
I am an international applicant and have an offer from Emory, but I want to work in the financial sector, primarily IB, after graduation, do i need to choose Emory or reapply next year.
There is another issue if I reapply, I HAVE to change my job this May if i don't go, but the R1 starts on Oct, wil this hurt my application? And it seems difficult to show my improvement in the reappllicant essay within such a short period.

I am not sure what other schools you applied to, but I guess the question I have is why did you apply to Emory in the first place. There had to be something that made you choose this school. Figure out if that is still true, if so go to Emory. If something changed, I would wait and re-apply next year.

Changing jobs will not hurt, as long as you are moving up interms or responsibility and/or title. If not then it will hurt and I would just take Emory now.

Good luck with your decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
hellocahty wrote:
I am an international applicant and have an offer from Emory, but I want to work in the financial sector, primarily IB, after graduation, do i need to choose Emory or reapply next year.
There is another issue if I reapply, I HAVE to change my job this May if i don't go, but the R1 starts on Oct, wil this hurt my application? And it seems difficult to show my improvement in the reappllicant essay within such a short period.

It is difficult to give you any suggestions without knowing your profile. If you have made up your mind to work in finance that too IB, you should try and do Masters in Finance from places like LBS or MIT. MIT has recently started a Masters in Finance.
In case you got a scholarship from Emory, it might be worthwhile to try and get into a fiance job after Emory and then do Masters in Finance or else you can directly apply for Masters in Finance, immediately. You may still have time to apply for the fall admission.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Emory has a strong presence in Atlanta and I am sure if you have a solid plan during your time at Emory, you will be able to get into IB. An MBA will definitely give you an edge in terms of engineering a move to your desired job function/industry. I suggest that you talk to the career office at Emory and get a sense of what they can do for you to help get you to where you wanna go to. If you are motivated enough and have the time to spare, go talk to some alums as well to get a good sense of how your future career will pan out, if you decide to enroll in Emory this fall.

It wasn't easy to get into Emory (I was one of those denied admission - yes , it hurts! But I am going to rock my time at Olin nonetheless to make Emory regret their decision :wink: ) and the fact that you were offered admission shows that you are definitely somebody with top credentials and stellar achievements. I'd seriously suggest that you take some time out to reflect on what you wanna do post-MBA and consider the companies you wanna work for, and thereafter, assess how Emory fits into the overall scheme of things.

As the saying goes, "Failing to plan is planning to fail." If you don't have a plan going into b-sch, even getting into an elite MBA program will not bring you the success and happiness that you are seeking. All the best ! Hope our advice has been helpful !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Emory places extremely well in IB. The class size is small, so there aren't that many people who go IB every year, but for the most part, those who want banking and put in the work required to get a banking job (networking trips to NY, studying finance, preparing for interviews) do get banking offers. Over the past few years, the placement has been excellent, and the offers are at some of the best global i-banks. I don't need to post the list on this forum, but we have recent alumni (as well as more senior alumni) at pretty much every major bank.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts