Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618906 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [5]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [3]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The emergence of an Eskimo art popular in Western markets in recent ye [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
An excellent question.
-> an indication of
-> a stimulus to

There is a good chance of making mistake in this type of question when we are out of time. Just see, both A and B seem okay. But the problem lies in missing a preposition.

(A) has been both an indication and a stimulus to--> it sounds, an indication to-> wrong
(B) has been not only an indication but also a stimulus to-> same problem, an indication to-> wrong
(E) has been both an indication of and a stimulus to-> both X and Y-> an indication of and a stimulus to(correct)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: The emergence of an Eskimo art popular in Western markets in recent ye [#permalink]
hello AjiteshArun

Why I chose B?
1. Indication and stimulus to something.
Indication of xx and stimulus to yy --> are not they different ideas?
E.g.: indication of something and stimulus to somthing.
If same idea, i expect indication and stimulus of xyz
so i didnt prefer OF in E option

2. Indication is action as first step
stimulus is something more than indication , so I preferred but also
Hence I preferred B

I thought deeply and was convinced with B but end up in wrong answer. :cry:
Please share your opinion on my reasoning . Thanks AjiteshArun
Scoreleap Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The emergence of an Eskimo art popular in Western markets in recent years has been both an indication and a stimulus to
a broader appreciation of Eskimo history and culture.

(A) has been both an indication and a stimulus to - an indication ---- to; not grammatical
(B) has been not only an indication but also a stimulus to – same as A
(C) not only has been an indication but has also stimulated – same as A
(D) both has indicated and stimulated – same as A
(E) has been both an indication of and a stimulus to – indication of is idiomatic
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
The emergence of an Eskimo art popular in Western markets in recent ye [#permalink]
HI GMATNinja AjiteshArun , in this question i don't get how D is wrong ,
The emergence of an Eskimo art popular in Western markets in recent years has been both an indication and a stimulus to a broader appreciation of Eskimo history and culture.
D) both has indicated and stimulated

This seems parallel to me (has can be ellipsis ) and indicated and stimulated both are verb (and i guess in GMAT verb is preferred over noun form) so we don't need "of" and "to" as in option E . Meaning wise also it seems fine to me (maybe i am wrong)
Can you please help me what is wrong with with this option ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896 wrote:
HI GMATNinja AjiteshArun , in this question i don't get how D is wrong ,
The emergence of an Eskimo art popular in Western markets in recent years has been both an indication and a stimulus to a broader appreciation of Eskimo history and culture.
D) both has indicated and stimulated

This seems parallel to me (has can be ellipsis ) and indicated and stimulated both are verb (and i guess in GMAT verb is preferred over noun form) so we don't need "of" and "to" as in option E . Meaning wise also it seems fine to me (maybe i am wrong)
Can you please help me what is wrong with with this option ?

Hi Gaurav2896,

There are many people who'd think that the has in option D can apply to stimulated, but the GMAT is unlikely to consider this correct. Generally, when we're working with structures like both X and Y and either X or Y, we want to ensure that X and Y are parallel.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos