Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:39 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:39
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [0]
Given Kudos: 4553
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all HKUST MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Deadlines added in the post.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p2330891

Anyone knows where the essay questions are displayed on HKUST's site?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Is HKUST a safe option for international candidates given the current political situation?
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dbsheta wrote:
Is HKUST a safe option for international candidates given the current political situation?
I answered a similar query here https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-b-schools- ... l#p2346401

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
For Folks applying to HKUST, here are the three essays all applicants are expected to write:

1. The HKUST MBA mission is to inspire and transform individuals to be future business leaders for Asia and the world. We embrace diversity, and are looking for ambitious and open-minded candidates with a passion to contribute. It is the first day of orientation. Please introduce yourself to your classmates, highlighting what drives you in your personal and professional life. (500 words)*

2.Tell us about your post-MBA goals and based on that, why is the HKUST MBA the ideal program for you and how do you plan to engage and enrich our community? (500 words)*

3. How do you plan to finance your MBA? (500 words)*

I do have a question here, How do you write 500 words on 'How do you plan to Finance your MBA?'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I am looking to switch my job function from project management and business development in real estate to Real Estate investment domain. Is HKUST a right choice for such a switch? Is it renowned as a top Asian finance college?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
rev13mig wrote:
I am looking to switch my job function from project management and business development in real estate to Real Estate investment domain. Is HKUST a right choice for such a switch? Is it renowned as a top Asian finance college?

If you look at the placement highlights showed here, you will notice that almost 1/3rd of the class got into the Finance sector, which basically proves your point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Send PM
Sourav700 wrote:
For Folks applying to HKUST, here are the three essays all applicants are expected to write:

1. The HKUST MBA mission is to inspire and transform individuals to be future business leaders for Asia and the world. We embrace diversity, and are looking for ambitious and open-minded candidates with a passion to contribute. It is the first day of orientation. Please introduce yourself to your classmates, highlighting what drives you in your personal and professional life. (500 words)*

2.Tell us about your post-MBA goals and based on that, why is the HKUST MBA the ideal program for you and how do you plan to engage and enrich our community? (500 words)*

3. How do you plan to finance your MBA? (500 words)*

I do have a question here, How do you write 500 words on 'How do you plan to Finance your MBA?'

I don't think they expect us to utilize the full limit. They might have kept the limit to 500 words to allow scholarship seeking applicants to give reasons why they should be awarded a scholarship. Not sure though. It is best to ask a current student if they had similar question last year also.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Narenn wrote:
dbsheta wrote:
I answered a similar query here https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-b-schools- ... l#p2346401

Hope that helps!

Recently the protests have become violent and are now pro-democratic rather than opposing the proposed law. An article in Washington Post said, "Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam acknowledged in a news conference that Hong Kong’s economy is being battered, saying that last quarter’s economic data is likely to be 'very bad.' Goldman Sachs in a research note last week estimated that up to $4 billion in capital left Hong Kong for Singapore".

Carrie Lam even went on to add that Chinese military may get involved if situation gets worse.

Sources:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47326.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
dbsheta wrote:
Recently the protests have become violent and are now pro-democratic rather than opposing the proposed law. An article in Washington Post said, "Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam acknowledged in a news conference that Hong Kong’s economy is being battered, saying that last quarter’s economic data is likely to be 'very bad.' Goldman Sachs in a research note last week estimated that up to $4 billion in capital left Hong Kong for Singapore".

Carrie Lam even went on to add that Chinese military may get involved if situation gets worse.

Sources:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47326.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html

While the ongoing situation is certainly not good, HKUST is a reputed and well-recognized MBA brand in Southeast Asia. I was just checking the placement stats of HKUST - nearly 45% of its students got placements outside of Hongkong, which tells us that HKUST's graduates are accepted across the Southeast Asian region.

Attachment:
HKUST.png
HKUST.png [ 27.12 KiB | Viewed 6466 times ]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Seems some sad news from the HKUST campus today as one of the students was hurt and subsequently passed away from their injuries: https://www.npr.org/2019/11/08/77752424 ... her-unrest

:( A sad day for HKUST's community
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Seems some sad news from the HKUST campus today as one of the students was hurt and subsequently passed away from their injuries: https://www.npr.org/2019/11/08/77752424 ... her-unrest

:( A sad day for HKUST's community

Quite unfortunate. The socio-political situation in HK is making the choice to apply to HKUST extremely difficult. It is an amazing school, but whenever I see such articles, I begin to think whether it is safe for an international student to be in the midst of this.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [2]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think it is still EXTREMELY safe in HK, esp compared to Chicago or another US metro area. For the number and volume of protests going on, this is extremely impressive for how few casualties there have been. Hong Kong and Singapore are very safe places to live, work, and study. You do not need to wonder :)

The economic situation in Hong Kong is different however. Tourism is significantly down: https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2019 ... or-numbers

And I think a lot of the local business activity/expansion and hiring are probably on hold as many small/medium and even large businesses are waiting to see how it will play out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos