GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!
  • Advice For Applicants Considering Round 2

November 16, 2018

November 16, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Many of you may be wondering whether you should pull the trigger and apply to business school during round 2 this winter.

Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
McCombs Thread Master
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 05:11
Who all are planning to apply in R1?

Add McCombs to your profile

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 03:55
Why is this thread so quiet? Let's have some conversation on essays of this year. How's everyone approaching the first essay: Opting for essay or video introduction? Would be nice to hear thoughts from recent admits on which option is more effective.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

MBA Section Director
V
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 04:13
Stacey Kammerdiener's advice on essay topics...

MBA Essay 1

We will learn a lot about your professional background through your resume and letter of recommendation. We want to get to know you further. Please introduce yourself.
An essay of 250 words, OR a video introduction of one minute

Our Advice:
You may be wondering, “How do I introduce myself in only 250 words or through a one minute clip?” Don’t worry– you’re not alone. Many applicants struggle with how to package their entire experience into a short essay.

First, this prompt is purposely open-ended. It grants you the freedom to introduce yourself in a way that is authentically you. When you first meet someone, what’s your elevator pitch? Give us a well-rounded mix of information, so that we better understand who you are in a more complete sense, and not only in one facet of your life. Think about what makes you tick.

But don’t forget about the first sentence of the prompt: “We will learn a lot about your professional background through your resume and letter of recommendation.” This is meant to remind you that the admissions committee will already know a lot about your background through other parts of the application. While your professional life is important, this essay is your opportunity to share who you are outside of the bullet points on your resume.

Finally, the choice is yours: written essay or video. We have seen significant success on both platforms and do not prefer one over the other. Therefore, play to your strengths! If your skill is in writing, focus on the essay. If you want to create a video and rely on your voice and video editing skills, then we are excited to see it. However, if you do submit a video, keep in mind that sending us a photo slideshow isn’t advisable. These clips do not grant the admissions committee the chance to actually see or hear you, and that is really what we are looking for, and what makes these videos so great. Have fun with either submission, and do not take this essay for granted— it can go a long way in setting the stage for your MBA application.

MBA Essay 2

Picture yourself at graduation. Describe how you spent your two years as a Texas McCombs MBA, and how that experience helped to prepare you for the post-MBA world. (500 words)

Our Advice:
This prompt allows you to explain to the admissions committee why you’re applying to Texas McCombs. By describing how you plan to spend your two years as an MBA, we will understand your career plan, learn what you’re passionate about, and find out how you want to develop yourself both in and out of the classroom.

Once again, keep in mind that by the time we read your essays, we have already seen your resume, scores and other basic elements of your MBA application. We have also already reviewed your short and long term goals. Essay two is meant to explain to us how you believe McCombs will help get you there. What classes, organizations, and experiential opportunities specifically relate to your career plan? Connect the dots for us. Personally, how do you envision yourself becoming an active contributor in our community? Texas MBA students are dynamic and engaged, and we are looking for applicants who are not only driven to succeed, but to make a positive impact on society.

Pause to think about how you would want to reflect on your two years while walking across the stage at graduation. Give us specifics. If you’ve read our website, attended events, and/or spoken to our admissions team, you know there is a lot to look forward to: challenging classes, concentrations, organizations, student/alumni networking, award-winning professors, unique career-oriented opportunities, a vibrant city, new graduate business school, and the list goes on. Illustrate what attributes of the program you plan to take full advantage of, and how that fits into your post-MBA self. In addition, how do you plan to give back while you are a student? What will be your lasting legacy? Convince us that you are indispensable to our community.

Optional Essay

Please provide any additional information you believe is important and/or address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the Admissions Committee in considering your application (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, or extenuating personal circumstances). (250 words)

Our Advice:
This one is pretty self-explanatory. Honestly, the most important piece of advice we can give you regarding this final prompt is to remember that the optional statement is just that– optional. Only applicants who feel that some piece of their profile deserves more explanation should submit an optional statement. This section of the application is not to be used to tell us more about your extracurricular activities, or to expand upon your personal introduction. While we love to see how excited you are to share more info with us, there are other ways to let the admissions committee know about additional projects or passions. The bottom of your resume or your interview are likely better forums for this. Optional statements should focus on filling gaps or answering questions we are likely to have about you.

Some Final Dos and Donts

Do
  • Practice patience. Take time to reflect and edit, edit, edit! It will likely take more than one draft to nail it.
  • Be honest. These essays are our way to learn more about you. Our students value authenticity and we look for essays that reflect your authentic self.
  • Have someone read over your essays. They can provide valuable feedback, and may give you a fresh take on what makes you special.

Donts
  • Do not send the same essay (or parts of essays) to multiple business schools. We can always spot recycled content.
  • Do not ignore the essay prompts. If you bypass the actual questions in an effort to tell us something you think we want to hear, you will not provide the information we are looking for.
  • Do not dress up your experiences in extreme language (trying to be shocking or add a “wow factor”) or go past the word counts or time limits. We are looking to see if you can follow the instructions given and stay on prompt.

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 20:26
Hi everyone, submitted some successful essays last season for McCombs, please feel free to ask questions. For question 2,
I recommend you RESEARCH: yourself (introspection), your goals, and McCombs.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:55
Hi Guys, I am thinking about contacting recent admits /current students to hold a chat session with prospective applicants to discuss application related issues. Want to know what you all think about this plan.

McCombs Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 08:59
Hi all,

Working on my essays now for R1. I think I'm going to go for it and do a fun Video Introduction. 1 min on film is 10x longer than a 250 word essay.

Plus... I was a film major so I think it would be best if I did the video.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.42

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 13:27
Working on essays, retaking the GRE on 9/12 so I can approach my application with a little more security in terms of stats

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 10:36
That will be great. I plan to apply during R1 but don't mind waiting until R2 in order to put my best foot forward.

Narenn wrote:
Hi Guys, I am thinking about contacting recent admits /current students to hold a chat session with prospective applicants to discuss application related issues. Want to know what you all think about this plan.
McCombs Thread Master
B
Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 10:45
Mgraynap wrote:
Working on essays, retaking the GRE on 9/12 so I can approach my application with a little more security in terms of stats

Did you take any supplemental classes like MBA Math or Accounting at a community college? I'm in the same boat as you, but not re-taking the GRE. I calculated the GRE advantage based on the average GRE scores published by Poet's and Quants.

The average GRE score switched to GMAT (via the MBA.com calculator) is 610 - (a +93 points advantage over taking the GMAT). We should be in range.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.42

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 10:51
howdytex2 wrote:
Mgraynap wrote:

Did you take any supplemental classes like MBA Math or Accounting at a community college? I'm in the same boat as you, but not re-taking the GRE. I calculated the GRE advantage based on the average GRE scores published by Poet's and Quants.

The average GRE score switched to GMAT (via the MBA.com calculator) is 610 - (a +93 points advantage over taking the GMAT). We should be in range.

Haven’t taken any supplemental classes, my undergrad record has a good amount of stats and finance classes, all with A and B grades. I did notice the disparity between GRE and GMAT averages though! That’s the main reason I switched to the GRE. We certainly should be in range, I’m just a little paranoid I think...
McCombs Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 10:52
I get that. I'm paranoid too! Hopefully, this stupid test doesn't crush my MBA dreams haha. :lol:

I'm taking MBA Math, plus I took accounting. However, I don't have a lot of courses that scream "math" as I went to Film School, where I actually used budgets and statistics in every class. *facepalm*
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 10:55
Narenn wrote:

Hey Narenn, Wanted to know if this event happened? If Yes, do we have a record of it somewhere?
McCombs Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 09:45
For Essay #1, who is doing the video and who is doing the essay?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 04:10
Writer's block on how to begin the introduction essay! I know what to say about myself, but that first sentence just feels awkward
McCombs Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 16:53
I’m hopefully submitting tonight!

McCombs Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 10:31
In for Round 1! :thumbup:
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 11:11
Great job. Congrats. I have decided to apply during R2 since I postponed my test date. Best wishes! howdytex2

howdytex2 wrote:
In for Round 1! :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 02:25
Has anyone managed to find a page that breaks down what each course in the curriculum contains in detail? I've managed to find them for every other school, but can only find high level descriptions for McCombs
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:51
Hi Guys,

Do we need to send official score reports or just self-report gmat scores?
McCombs Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:57
BNabs88 wrote:
Has anyone managed to find a page that breaks down what each course in the curriculum contains in detail? I've managed to find them for every other school, but can only find high level descriptions for McCombs

Here you go!

https://utexas.app.box.com/v/McCombs-MBA-first-year

Note: The custom core courses are dictated by your intended concentration. Click on the concentration on this page to pull up their required courses: https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full-Time/Curriculum
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 08:57

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 95 posts ] 

Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: howdytex2

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap