GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Posts: 61
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 03:52
2
Had my interview with an Alumni interviewer this morning, felt like it went quite well, we met in a coffee shop and had a relatively informal interview, but still covered all of the questions types you'd expect. Now the wait begins...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Location: India
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 04:09
1
BNabs88 Best of luck with your result buddy!

Would you mind sharing your experience? What kind of questions were you asked?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Posts: 61
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 10:59
1
AniketST wrote:
BNabs88 Best of luck with your result buddy!

Would you mind sharing your experience? What kind of questions were you asked?


All the same ones you see online for mccombs really. Introduce yourself, run through work history, what are your goals, why MBA, why McCombs, couple of competency based questions, and then some chit-chat
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 18:51
I completed a video essay for the application and appears the video has not been viewed yet on YouTube.
Wonder if they are reviewing applications based on test score first...
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.77
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 11:06
milesmiles90, May be they are reviewing apps based on geography & not the score, where are you based?

milesmiles90 wrote:
I completed a video essay for the application and appears the video has not been viewed yet on YouTube.
Wonder if they are reviewing applications based on test score first...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 May 2017
Posts: 37
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Nov 2018, 04:39
2
Had my McCombs interview yesterday. I think it went okay.

Overview:

I met adcom in a hotel lobby. We did basic introductions and talked for a bit. Then we dove into interview questions.
My interviewer had a set of questions from which he asked questions. In this way, the interview was quite structured, and wasn't like a regular conversation. My interviewer also took notes quite visibly, and it was slightly distracting because I knew that whatever he wrote would be the basis for his interview report.

Types of questions:

We spoke about career goals and went over a few behavioural questions related to my professional experience. I spoke about my motivations for doing an MBA and how it would help me in my short/long term goals.
Then we spoke at length about the McCombs program, and how I would contribute to it. Just FYI, McCombs focuses heavily on how prospective students can give back to the community - I was asked a question about it.
Finally, the interviewer asked if I had any questions about the program. This was the most unstructured part of the interview, and was quite conversational. It is best to prepare 4-5 questions
I was surprised that we spent 15-20 minutes on my questions and another 15-20 minutes on discussing McCombs specific questions. I was prepared for a conversational interview and thought that we'd spend much more time talking about my background and professional experience, but this was not the case (we spent only about 8-10 minutes on this).

Key takeaways:

Prepare your stories well. Figure out how to repurpose your stories to answer a variety of questions.
Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve through the MBA.
Know your strengths and weaknesses at work, and also as an applicant. I was asked about both these points specifically.
Prepare to talk about your work in a succinct and concise way.
Finally, relax! My interviewer was very friendly and while the interview was in a question-answer format, he made me feel at ease.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by chakraaayan on 06 Nov 2018, 04:26.
Last edited by Narenn on 06 Nov 2018, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.77
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 04:33
Thank you for this very detailed update on your experience chakraaayan
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2317
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 04:38
chakraaayan thank you so much for the helpful and detailed report; will be helpful to my clients :)

chakraaayan wrote:
Had my McCombs interview yesterday. I think it went okay.

Overview:
I met adcom in a hotel lobby. We did basic introductions and talked for a bit. Then we dove into interview questions.
My interviewer had a set of questions from which he asked questions. In this way, the interview was quite structured, and wasn't like a regular conversation. My interviewer also took notes quite visibly, and it was slightly distracting because I knew that whatever he wrote would be the basis for his interview report.

Types of questions:
We spoke about career goals and went over a few behavioural questions related to my professional experience. I spoke about my motivations for doing an MBA and how it would help me in my short/long term goals.
Then we spoke at length about the McCombs program, and how I would contribute to it. Just FYI, McCombs focuses heavily on how prospective students can give back to the community - I was asked a question about it.
Finally, the interviewer asked if I had any questions about the program. This was the most unstructured part of the interview, and was quite conversational. It is best to prepare 4-5 questions
I was surprised that we spent 15-20 minutes on my questions and another 15-20 minutes on discussing McCombs specific questions. I was prepared for a conversational interview and thought that we'd spend much more time talking about my background and professional experience, but this was not the case (we spent only about 8-10 minutes on this).

Key takeaways:
Prepare your stories well. Figure out how to repurpose your stories to answer a variety of questions.
Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve through the MBA.
Know your strengths and weaknesses at work, and also as an applicant. I was asked about both these points specifically.
Prepare to talk about your work in a succinct and concise way.
Finally, relax! My interviewer was very friendly and while the interview was in a question-answer format, he made me feel at ease.

Hope this helps!

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 6959
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 04:44
chakraaayan wrote:
Had my McCombs interview yesterday. I think it went okay.

Great job chakraaayan! And thank you for taking the time to share this valuable info with fellow applicants. I've formatted your post a little and have also posted it on McCombs interview debriefs section.
_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 May 2017
Posts: 37
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 05:14
Glad that this was useful! :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2014
Posts: 25
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 09:05
Can we expect any further call for interview.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Posts: 61
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 07:37
dave19 wrote:
Can we expect any further call for interview.

Posted from my mobile device


According to the website:
"Invitations can be sent out at any time between the submission and decision notification deadlines for each round"

Decision deadline isn't until mid-December, so plenty of time still
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 14
Location: India
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 04:15
1
Had my interview with an adcom member a couple of days back. Overall a pleasant experience.

The interviewer had a set of questions he was choosing from. Most of the discussion revolved around my work experience and the associated behavioural questions (biggest challenge, problem solving, feedback at work, teamwork), my plans for the future and how McCombs fits into it, and a couple of questions on me as a person - strengths/weaknesses, hobbies and passions.

I think most of the interview just mirrored the application. So the school research and introspection you did while completing the application should serve you well. The only thing additional was the set of major competency questions, which anyway everyone should be prepared for.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
McCombs Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 56
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 14:59
Very tough to withdraw from consideration yesterday due to my other admits. Best of luck to you all!

- Your Thread Master :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 58
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.42
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 16:00
howdytex2 wrote:
Very tough to withdraw from consideration yesterday due to my other admits. Best of luck to you all!

- Your Thread Master :)


Godspeed, OP


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 12
Location: India
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 00:47
Did anyone receive any interview invites recently?
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 6959
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 02:19
pk15 wrote:
Did anyone receive any interview invites recently?


Are they still sending invites? Last year most of the invites had been released by mid-November, although I can't firmly say that the same will hold true this year.

Image
Attachment:
McCombs 2017-18 invites.png
McCombs 2017-18 invites.png [ 22.77 KiB | Viewed 2259 times ]

_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2012
Posts: 6
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 08:33
As I’m waiting for the results, I was reading on a few admission stats. Does anybody know generally what the interview to convert ratio is ?

Also, does that vary significantly for the over represented pool like Indians?

Read a few threads from the previous years on the forum, but couldn’t find any information.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Apr 2018
Posts: 11
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 2.87
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 11:49
johnsculley wrote:
As I’m waiting for the results, I was reading on a few admission stats. Does anybody know generally what the interview to convert ratio is ?

Also, does that vary significantly for the over represented pool like Indians?

Read a few threads from the previous years on the forum, but couldn’t find any information.

Posted from my mobile device


There was a chart that was posted here a couple of years ago that showed acceptance rates at top schools after interview.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/chances-of-g ... 30246.html

Generally, if you get INVITED to interview, your chances of getting in are better than 50%. The schools that have lower than 50% acceptance rates (Kellogg, Tuck, etc.) are those that notably allow you to schedule your own interviews. So, basically, if you got an invite, take that as a great sign.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Location: United States (TX)
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GPA: 3.58
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 12:34
Based on last year, does McCombs send notices on the deadline date only? Or do they roll out notices before/after?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2018, 12:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 258 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne