GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
McCombs Thread Master
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 08:59
arun93 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Do we need to send official score reports or just self-report gmat scores?

You have to send official GMAT scores and transcripts.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.55
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 15:11
I shall be applying to McCombs this year. I want to know about the process for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver.

As per the application instructions, any applicant who meets the following criteria may also be eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver - educated solely in English for your undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree in a country where English is not the only official language. I am an Indian, and I got my undergraduate degree from an institution in which the sole language of instruction is English. This is mentioned on the back on my transcript. Am I eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver? If yes, then is this waiver applied automatically, or is there a specific process I need to follow?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 13:42
SahilS01 wrote:
I shall be applying to McCombs this year. I want to know about the process for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver.

As per the application instructions, any applicant who meets the following criteria may also be eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver - educated solely in English for your undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree in a country where English is not the only official language. I am an Indian, and I got my undergraduate degree from an institution in which the sole language of instruction is English. This is mentioned on the back on my transcript. Am I eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver? If yes, then is this waiver applied automatically, or is there a specific process I need to follow?

I think you'll qualify for a TOEFL waiver as long as it is clearly mentioned in your transcript that English is the sole language of instruction in your college.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 05:41
I'm in for R1!
Went with a written intro essay this time around. I applied last year, and my video introduction was so lame compared to what other people were doing!
How did everyone's R1 applications go?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 06:08
chakraaayan wrote:
I'm in for R1!
Went with a written intro essay this time around. I applied last year, and my video introduction was so lame compared to what other people were doing!

I'm basically done, just having my essays go through a last minute check from an admissions consultant!

I feel like it could be so hard to make a decent video intro unless you have a lot of time and video editing skill to sink in to it

Good luck in your application!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 08:47
BNabs88 wrote:
chakraaayan wrote:
I'm in for R1!

I'm basically done, just having my essays go through a last minute check from an admissions consultant!

I feel like it could be so hard to make a decent video intro unless you have a lot of time and video editing skill to sink in to it

Good luck in your application!

I went with a single take video without any editing, even stuttering at one point (though not horribly). I'm a finance/data guy and don't have a creative background. Some of the editing in other's videos on YouTube are kind of distracting IMO. I wanted to convey how I'd look during recruiting and you won't have background music in your job interview - hopefully that works.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 08:50
Does anyone know when interview invites will go out? It was clear for other schools. Maybe I missed it for McCombs.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 22:52
Submitted for R1, but found the process a bit ambiguous in the sense that you cannot make the payment immediately and have to wait for your file to be uploaded to their other portal with some delay but the application fee is expected before the deadline. All of this when on the website it only says to "submit" before the deadline and not "complete" when actually the payment was a not a part of the submit. A bit confusing for applicants applying too close to the deadline with all of the other stress going on IMO. Anyone else faced the same confusion?
Overall quite excited :D
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 23:47
ameyakarnalkar wrote:
Submitted for R1, but found the process a bit ambiguous in the sense that you cannot make the payment immediately and have to wait for your file to be uploaded to their other portal with some delay but the application fee is expected before the deadline. All of this when on the website it only says to "submit" before the deadline and not "complete" when actually the payment was a not a part of the submit. A bit confusing for applicants applying too close to the deadline with all of the other stress going on IMO. Anyone else faced the same confusion?

I submitted mine last night as well, I took it as you can submit and be in in time for round 1, but they won't actually review your application until you have paid the fee.

However, the bit I found most confusing was them saying you need to pay asap, but that if you qualify for a waiver you need to wait 7-10 days for it to be applied, and not to pay because they can't refund you.

I got the below in an email, so not sure if that gets automatically applied straight away, or if we need to wait for 7-10 days...

Note: If you apply for Round 1 admission, you will automatically qualify for the following:

$200 USD application fee waiver
Priority interview consideration
Priority scholarship consideration
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 00:43
In for Round 1 as well! Went with a written essay - nothing too fancy just another introduction. Hopefully, a memorable one.

The submission part was definitely confusing. I dropped a mail to the adcom asking for more details, will keep you guys posted on the reply.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 00:45
BNabs88 wrote:
ameyakarnalkar wrote:

I submitted mine last night as well, I took it as you can submit and be in in time for round 1, but they won't actually review your application until you have paid the fee.

However, the bit I found most confusing was them saying you need to pay asap, but that if you qualify for a waiver you need to wait 7-10 days for it to be applied, and not to pay because they can't refund you.

I got the below in an email, so not sure if that gets automatically applied straight away, or if we need to wait for 7-10 days...

Note: If you apply for Round 1 admission, you will automatically qualify for the following:

Can you share a little more about the $200 USD Application Fee waiver for people applying in Round 1? I did not come across this while applying. Maybe you had another criterion that you qualified for, but I am not sure if all R1 applications would get a fee waiver. (I might be wrong here, but wanted to confirm)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 00:53
BNabs88 wrote:
ameyakarnalkar wrote:

Even I doubt that all R1 applicants would get their $200 fee waived.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 01:11
DogGoesWoof wrote:
Can you share a little more about the $200 USD Application Fee waiver for people applying in Round 1? I did not come across this while applying. Maybe you had another criterion that you qualified for, but I am not sure if all R1 applications would get a fee waiver. (I might be wrong here, but wanted to confirm)

Honestly I have no idea, I received a couple of automated emails from the McCombs admissions team saying the below:

Quote:
Hi *my name*,

The 2018-2019 Full-Time MBA application is now open! We’d like to encourage you to apply in Round 1, on or before October 9th, in order to have your application fee waived. Mark your calendar for the important dates below and to review our admissions process, including essay topics. Take the next step toward a prestigious MBA degree to join a network of over 495,000 faculty, students, and alumni-- Start or submit your application today.

If you apply for Round 1 admission, you will automatically qualify for the following:

I might email the admissions team for further info
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 01:40
BNabs88 wrote:
DogGoesWoof wrote:

Honestly I have no idea, I received a couple of automated emails from the McCombs admissions team saying the below:

Quote:
Hi *my name*,

The 2018-2019 Full-Time MBA application is now open! We’d like to encourage you to apply in Round 1, on or before October 9th, in order to have your application fee waived. Mark your calendar for the important dates below and to review our admissions process, including essay topics. Take the next step toward a prestigious MBA degree to join a network of over 495,000 faculty, students, and alumni-- Start or submit your application today.

If you apply for Round 1 admission, you will automatically qualify for the following:

Sounds good BNabs88 thank you! Do let us know what the admissions team informs you. I know that the fee is non-refundable, so I literally have nothing to gain from this. But I just want to make sure I don't want to miss out on any such small details in the future.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: McCombs '21 (S)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 06:31
I have heard about Round 1 fee waiver email from someone else as well but haven't received any email myself even though I attended their events. Could it be related to GMAT score? Not sure what the criteria is for a waiver. Does it make sense to reach out to the admissions team before I make the payment?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 08:05
pk15 wrote:
I have heard about Round 1 fee waiver email from someone else as well but haven't received any email myself even though I attended their events. Could it be related to GMAT score? Not sure what the criteria is for a waiver. Does it make sense to reach out to the admissions team before I make the payment?

This is what the school's website says:

Application Fee Waivers
MBA applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria may qualify for an application fee waiver:

• Veteran or current U.S. military service member
• Teach for America participant
• Forte MBA Launch participant

We are unable to offer application fee waivers based on financial need. Payment of the application fee prior to processing a waiver will not be refunded. If you apply to more than one Texas MBA program during the same admissions cycle, you are required to pay only the first application fee.

Link : https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full ... on-Process

I don't qualify for any of this, so I don't believe I will get a waiver. I'll leave the decision to contact the adcom to you in case you need further clarification!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 08:08
I checked with the Admissions team for the confusion regarding the payment piece: If you submitted the application (only submitted, not the payment part) before the deadline then you will be considered for Round 1. There is some delay in the payment in their application system and students will not be penalized for this.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 09:10
DogGoesWoof wrote:
I checked with the Admissions team for the confusion regarding the payment piece: If you submitted the application (only submitted, not the payment part) before the deadline then you will be considered for Round 1. There is some delay in the payment in their application system and students will not be penalized for this.

DogGoesWoof: yes, that's correct. UT Austin has two portals handling applications (or at least MBA applications). The one related to submitting your essays, resume etc. doesn't have any section for uploading transcripts and paying the application fee.
If you've submitted all your information in this section (resume, essays, recommendations, education info, professional info etc), before the Oct 9, 11.59 PM CDT deadline, you'll be considered for R1.

They allow 7-10 days after the deadline for application fee payment and transcript upload, which you'll have to do via a portal called GIAC (you'll get an email, don't worry).
I'm confident about this as I paid the application fee after their deadline and got a confirmation that my application was being reviewed in Round 1.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 09:14
BNabs88 wrote:
DogGoesWoof wrote:

Quote:
Hi *my name*,

Congrats on the fee waiver! My guess is that you'd sent them your GMAT score earlier (or checked some checkbox where your information could be shared with B-schools), and McCombs offered you a fee waiver to get you to apply to their school.

Marketing - just one of the many things I want to learn more about through the MBA! :lol:
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 02:15
Thanks chakraaayan, I hadn't actually sat my GMAT when I received this email, but I had signed up to be kept up to date with the program and receive information from them, so maybe that is why!

I've emailed them this morning just to check anyway, my GIAC says pending payment, so I don't want to leave it for 7 days and then find out the email didn't really apply to me!

On another note, my transcript (from a UK university) has no explanation of the grading scale etc, but it seems they ask for one to be included when you upload to GIAC. It's all done on percentages and a standardised system for UK degrees. Anybody else encountered this and figured out what you're meant to do?

Also the status page says they haven't received my GMAT although it was apparently sent on 14th September, maybe it is just a timing thing, but is everyone else's showing?
GMAT Club Bot
Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021 &nbs [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 02:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 101 posts ] 

Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: howdytex2

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap