Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [4]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Calling all 2019 Haas Applicants - Class of 2021 [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
What do you guys think about the essays? Especially the hardship optional essay?

It seems to me as Hass is actually trying to understand the applicant better than ever.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hi guys,

I am quite new to the mba application process. What is the best way to approach these essays? Especially the memorable event one and the one about hardships and gaps in Optional essay #1 and #2?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hey guys, quick question. Do you know if HAAS MBA application is already up? I've been to their application portal but there is no MBA option available and on their website it just says "applications will go live in July".
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BananaNation wrote:
Hey guys, quick question. Do you know if HAAS MBA application is already up? I've been to their application portal but there is no MBA option available and on their website it just says "applications will go live in July".

I checked a couple of days back and didin't find one for MBA. May be they aren't live yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
BananaNation wrote:

Just got a mail this morning, the application is now live!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thursday, Aug 2: Live Chat with Haas Alum

Hi Everyone, This Thursday we have a live chat with swbluedevil, Haas MBA graduate. Chat will start at 9am Pacific time (12pm Eastern time, 9:30pm Indian time) in GMATClub chat room. We hope all of you will participate in this chat. It's an excellent opportunity to ask your questions about Haas, its application process, and anything else that will help you make a strong case for admission this year.

Date and Time:

Aug 2, 2018 | Thursday | 9:00 AM PDT (12 PM ET; 9:30 PM IST)

Place:

Main Chat Room

There are admit chat sessions planned for other schools as well. Check out the complete chat calendar here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/inviting-all ... l#p2092718
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone,

Just a reminder for our chat with swbluedevil in a couple of hours. Please plan to attend if you have any questions related to HaaS.

See you there.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
We are starting the chat session. If you are around, join main chat room.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Narenn wrote:
Thursday, Aug 2: Live Chat with Haas Alum

Hi Everyone, This Thursday we have a live chat with swbluedevil, Haas MBA graduate. Chat will start at 9am Pacific time (12pm Eastern time, 9:30pm Indian time) in GMATClub chat room. We hope all of you will participate in this chat. It's an excellent opportunity to ask your questions about Haas, its application process, and anything else that will help you make a strong case for admission this year.

Date and Time:

Aug 2, 2018 | Thursday | 9:00 AM PDT (12 PM ET; 9:30 PM IST)

Place:

Main Chat Room

There are admit chat sessions planned for other schools as well. Check out the complete chat calendar here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/inviting-all ... l#p2092718
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Transcript from the live chat with HaaS Alum, swbluedevil

Can you introduce yourself ?

I graduated from Haas a few years and am currently working in tech as a product manager. As I was applying to MBA programs, I was on GMATClub quite a bit and got lots of great advice here. Hoping to pay it forward to all of you Haas hopefuls!

I should also note that I got into Haas with a pretty low GPA. Haas is notorious for having a really high average GPA so happy to provide tips here as well

As tech is booming and Haas in the epicenter of it how to differentiate yourself from other candidates in career goals essay if you want to go tech post-mba ?

tech is a massive industry, so I think the way that you differentiate yourself is in being super specific (while acknowledging a plan B) about your career goals and also explaining why. Rather than saying "Post-MBA, I want to go into tech", you would say based on my passion for marketing, my short-term goal is to be a Product Marketing Manager at XYZ company with a longer-term career goal of being a CMO of a startup that focuses in ABC".

How was your application process to Haas and in general with a low GPA?

You’ll note that there is at least one application essay each year that is a bit off the wall. I think Haas does this very deliberately as the school is very deliberate about crafting a certain culture and it wants students who are going to buy into and build on top of this culture. If you are really into Haas, it’s a great opportunity for your enthusiasm for the school to shine. You should find the application process somewhat fun

Do they look at gmat score more than gpa?

regarding low GPA, I wouldn’t say definitively that Haas looks at GMAT more than GPA. They look at your package very holistically. So if you have a low GPA, you’ll need to demonstrate to adcoms that you’re going to be able to thrive in a graduate level academic environment. Getting a high GMAT is one way to do so. Also, if there were special circumstances that led to your low GPA (or even if you want to take full ownership for it and talk about what you have learned from your undergrad days), the optional essay may be a good place to discuss this

What were some of the best experiences during your time at Haas?

one of the things that I cherished most at Haas was the relative freedom that you have with your time. Sure, you have classes that you have to go to, but there’s so many new things to learn, people to meet, speakers to listen to, etc. I really miss having that freedom to just explore, both academically, socially, and professionally

Does being in tech reduces chances of getting in ?

No, I don’t think being in tech reduces your chances of getting in (I don’t know why it would).

How specific we need to be when we talk about short term specific goals?

Ideally, you will have your industry locked down (i.e. tech), one or two target functions (i.e. product manager or product marketing manager), and a few target companies.

Can I understand this as ’it is required to understand which companies generally prefer Haas and build around that to present how I will fit into that profile and that company to fix the specific short term goal’. Will it impact adversely, if the short term goal mentioned is relatively generic specifying industry without mentioning company’s name?

No that’s not what I am saying at all. You should not go research Haas’s career report and then tailor your career goals essay to only mention companies that recruit at Haas.

Where did your network disperse post-grad? Did you find it was mainly California, or were there a fair amount of people headed back East?

most people stay in Silicon Valley - IIRC it is on the order of 70% or so. There is also a sizable Haas alumni presence in Seattle as well and NYC

how is life at Haas? more opportunities to work in silicon valley?

life at Haas was great - your fellow classmates, many of whom will become your friends, are super supportive and helpful. It’s a collaborative culture and not cutthroat at all. I remember classmates helping each other to prep for the same interview for the same company - that’s how collaborative it is. But yes, Haas’s proximity to Haas makes it super easy to network with Silicon Valley companies - not only is it easy for them to go on campus, it’s very easy for you to visit them as well

Suppose that you were applying to Haas again - what are some of the things you would’ve done better or differently?

that’s something I can answer since I got to look at my admissions file a few weeks after I came on campus I don’t think it’s something that Haas does anymore, but it was super insightful. One area, where I didn’t do particularly well was on the interview - I did pretty mediocre actually and the reasons why were because I didn’t really open (you will learn to become a more engaging and authentic speaker at Haas) and I wasn’t super clear on my career goals (so please take my advice here)

When you say you weren’t super clear on your career goals. Was that for your long term goals or short term? Why do think that might have been? Were you unsure at the time? and one last thing--how would you mitigate the same mistake?

It was for more short-term and long-term goals. Yes, it’s probably because I didn’t have a lot of exposure to my target industry.

What would you recommend to prospect students when carrying out their due diligence on the school? What are some of the things you would ask to Alumni?

yes definitely do your due diligence by visiting the school - I cannot underscore this enough. And talk to current students and alumni. I know that when you are applying, you’re so focused just on getting in, but you should also make sure that you will actually want to attend the school if you do get in

Can I ask you to describe the culture at Haas in 3 or 4 words? - 1st one - I understood it as ’Freedom’.

I would describe the culture as Defined, Collaborative, and Down-to-Earth. By "defined", I mean Haas goes to great lengths to articulate its culture (more so than any other business school I saw)

Is admission criteria very different between full time and EWMBA?

I think if you researched the admissions profiles for the FT and EWMBA classes, you would see some differences
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Everyone,

Hope your application process is going well. Just a reminder that if you are struck on anything you can get a lot of help here from the alumni, admission experts etc. I also wanted to know if anyone here is planning to apply in R2 ? Let me know.

I will leave you with this fun take on Berkeley life. Keep the Berkeley swag on.

MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Following info is from the Berkeley events website

Admissions Cafe

Online - Monday August 13, 2018 02:00 pm - 02:30 pm (Pacific Standard Time)

Register here

Grab your coffee (tea, water, or wine) and hop online for this virtual video chat with a member of the Berkeley Haas Admissions Committee. We'll be hanging out answering your questions for 30 minutes. Come with your specific questions or just listen in to hear what others are asking. Sessions are limited to 15 people to ensure you get the personal attention you need.

You will receive a Zoom link for your Admissions Cafe session after you register. This is a casual meet-up so feel free to pop in at any point during your 30 minute chat and stay for as long (or little) as you like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
So, really basic question, but just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding this.

"Do you expect to be a California resident by the beginning of the term to which you applied?" Yes/No

I am an international applicant, but surely all of us would expect to be a resident of California at the time of our course? Otherwise how would we attend if living elsewhere?
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BNabs88 wrote:
So, really basic question, but just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding this.

"Do you expect to be a California resident by the beginning of the term to which you applied?" Yes/No

I am an international applicant, but surely all of us would expect to be a resident of California at the time of our course? Otherwise how would we attend if living elsewhere?

The answer to the question in your case is No. Establishing residency in California is a different process. Refer this https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees ... teria.html
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Virtual Admissions Chat

Tuesday September 11, 2018 Online

09:30 am - 10:30 am (Pacific Standard Time)

Have questions about the Berkeley Haas Admissions process?

Register here

Join us online for a virtual information session! Members of the admissions team will be there to answer your questions and walk you through the application and evaluation process. We look forward to connecting with you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.1
Send PM