It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 14:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Rotman '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q36 V36
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V33
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

http://www.mummymba.blogspot.com.ng/

Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 00:45
Reserved Post

Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 00:46
Reserved Post

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
good luck everyone!

i am a current student heading into second year. will try to answer questions best as i can.

cheers!
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 09:50
jigglypuff wrote:
good luck everyone!

i am a current student heading into second year. will try to answer questions best as i can.

cheers!

Hello Jiggly :-)

I have a quick pre-application call with Lynda coming up soon. Can you give me a gist of what happens during these calls? Is it just a short call to evaluate who I am? I do have a few queries I have on the school which I intend on asking, but in general how does the call go?

Looking forward to your response!

Varun
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 10:28
i've never had a call like that, probably because i live in toronto and just went into the office. but i've had a pre-application meeting in person, and if the call is anything like it, you can expect it to be laid-back and very informal. essentially, you're right, it's for them to know more about you, why you want to do an MBA, and why you want to do it at rotman. you might have to prepare a resume or something. did she ask for one? there's also a lot of time for you to ask them questions about the school so good on you to have questions up front.

but i think you could still just email admissions about those questions or just air them out here. Michael Moses from the admissions team is on here frequently.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 10:45
jigglypuff wrote:
i've never had a call like that, probably because i live in toronto and just went into the office. but i've had a pre-application meeting in person, and if the call is anything like it, you can expect it to be laid-back and very informal. essentially, you're right, it's for them to know more about you, why you want to do an MBA, and why you want to do it at rotman. you might have to prepare a resume or something. did she ask for one? there's also a lot of time for you to ask them questions about the school so good on you to have questions up front.

but I think you could still just email admissions about those questions or just air them out here. Michael Moses from the admissions team is on here frequently.

Hi Jiggly,

Thanks for the quick response!
Yes she did ask for my resume, which is what I am worried about as its not MBA application ready (if that makes sense), definitely not Rotman resume template. So I have asked for a day before I submit it.
So you would suggest me not bombarding Lynda with questions now? :-)
Maybe I can limit them for a few, I was actually hoping for the applications to open, filling that in would reveal/expose many doubts in general. And yes, maybe I can wait for mr Moses here in these forums before asking her the queries.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 11:30
varunshetty1 wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:

but I think you could still just email admissions about those questions or just air them out here. Michael Moses from the admissions team is on here frequently.

Hi Jiggly,

Yes she did ask for my resume, which is what I am worried about as its not MBA application ready (if that makes sense), definitely not Rotman resume template. So I have asked for a day before I submit it.
Maybe I can limit them for a few, I was actually hoping for the applications to open, filling that in would reveal/expose many doubts in general. And yes, maybe I can wait for mr Moses here in these forums before asking her the queries.

she'll understand that it's not going to be application ready, but i think as long as you have the gist of the information that you want to convey, it will be fine. she'll understand that you will have a final version when you apply, so i would go ahead with it. plus, the rotman template is just formatting, and content recommendations.

how many questions do you have? like i said, feel free to ask them here and see what we can do. i'm not the only rotmanite on these boards, i know a few who still lurk. i think if it's questions specific to the application, any one of us who have applied would be able to answer, even incoming students...
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 23:13
jigglypuff wrote:
varunshetty1 wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:

Hi Jiggly,

she'll understand that it's not going to be application ready, but i think as long as you have the gist of the information that you want to convey, it will be fine. she'll understand that you will have a final version when you apply, so i would go ahead with it. plus, the rotman template is just formatting, and content recommendations.

how many questions do you have? like i said, feel free to ask them here and see what we can do. i'm not the only rotmanite on these boards, i know a few who still lurk. i think if it's questions specific to the application, any one of us who have applied would be able to answer, even incoming students...

Oh Great!

So a few questions were GPA conversion specific, my college/university specific. Since I am an Indian, there was some issue regarding the data they had given in the website to convert the scores.

My general question would be on how would the admissions committee look upon and international entrepreneur, especially a budding one at that. I am aware of the great opportunities available for international students in Canada and Rotman in general, but as entrepreneur who would look to get a foothold globally, beyond his country, how does the school look at us? I am not looking at the run of the mill product management profile post graduation. I would like to work in tech accelerator program, post MBA and/or try to get into startup programs such as the Y- combinator. So again, is this an advantage having a different aim? Or not? I am aware of the entrepreneurship career direction opportunities but I would like clarity for how it is for internationals.

Beyond the tie ups with case competitions for entrepreneurs, are there tie ups with accelerator programs in IT companies in Canada or elsewhere? What are the options for winners of these case competitions?

Other queries were whether the essays this year will be different (the website needs to be updated). Since Rotman is one of my first choice schools I wanted to start early.

Thanks,
Varun
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 04:37
varunshetty1 wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:
varunshetty1 wrote:
Hi Jiggly,

Oh Great!

So a few questions were GPA conversion specific, my college/university specific. Since I am an Indian, there was some issue regarding the data they had given in the website to convert the scores.

My general question would be on how would the admissions committee look upon and international entrepreneur, especially a budding one at that. I am aware of the great opportunities available for international students in Canada and Rotman in general, but as entrepreneur who would look to get a foothold globally, beyond his country, how does the school look at us? I am not looking at the run of the mill product management profile post graduation. I would like to work in tech accelerator program, post MBA and/or try to get into startup programs such as the Y- combinator. So again, is this an advantage having a different aim? Or not? I am aware of the entrepreneurship career direction opportunities but I would like clarity for how it is for internationals.

Beyond the tie ups with case competitions for entrepreneurs, are there tie ups with accelerator programs in IT companies in Canada or elsewhere? What are the options for winners of these case competitions?

Other queries were whether the essays this year will be different (the website needs to be updated). Since Rotman is one of my first choice schools I wanted to start early.

Thanks,
Varun

i'm not gonna lie, i don't know much about entrepreneurship opportunities since i'm not going down that path. but i have friends who are, and they're having a good time here. plus, we do have an entrepreneurship major, and a centre for innovation and entrepreneurship, so there is a presence here. then there's also the mars discovery district nearby... but yeah, sorry i don't know much more than that, though i'm sure others do!

and essays will probably be different. although the "why mba" and "why rotman" questions will be there, there might be other things too. you could always start coming up with your stories. in my year, there was a question on how i would take advantage of being in toronto; it was surprisingly difficult to answer considering i've lived here for so long...
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 05:16
Thanks! This is a good start for me to begin with. I will work with this and move forward.

Again, appreciate you taking your time off to help us here!
Current Student
Concentration: Economics, Finance

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 23:41
Hi Jiggly,

I am planning to apply to Rotman this year. I have done my undergrad and postgrad in Economics and I have been working with Big 4 company in M&A Advisory. Since my education involved lots of quantitative subjects, I want to move to quantitative finance profile from pure finance profile. So how difficult is it to move to a quantitative profile (which involved Statistics and Regression Models) from a finance profile. Also, on what scale and level, opportunities are available in the quantitative profile in a geography like Canada?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 05:03
This post received
KUDOS
i'm not jiggly darnit lol.

i'm not very sure about the finance side at rotman, since i'm on the consulting side. however, from my understanding, finance puts a lot of weight on networking and experience. since you have four years at a big 4 AND a grad degree, i think you're good on the experience side. if you want to switch into quant finance, and you're looking into applying at rotman, i would suggest start networking now and forming your relationships. many of my friends who got top finance gigs for the summer already had them by october. unfortunately, i'm not sure about the opportunities since i'm not looking into that career path.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: 326 Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 02:38
Hey jigglypuff , how's the consulting scene at Rotman post-MBA?? I am an applicant from south asia and considering Rotman but i am unsure about ease of getting a job in canadian market after business school.

Any thoughts!!!
Manager
Manager
B
Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 04:39
megatron13,

it's great! well, i personally haven't experienced post-MBA, since i'm still in it, but the 2015 class experienced a lot of success. they had the biggest intake so far, and us 2016s had the biggest internship intake so hopefully we'll beat them next year!

with a 710 GMAT you've got that down, so that's one criteria you can already check off. make sure you have your GPA up, especially in quant-heavy courses like finance and stats. it's also easier to transition into consulting here if you have consulting experience abroad, or international business experience.

i also just want to say that even though canada does give a 3-year work permit upon graduation, and rotman is the top b-school in canada, getting a job post-MBA is NOT a guarantee. you still have to work your ass off. that said, if you DO work your ass off, you have a huge advantage coming from this school. so bottom line: work hard, you'll do fine!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: 326 Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 22:17
Thanks jigglypuff for the detailed answer. Will I get any work permit if I attend a one-year program? or is it only granted for two year programs
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 00:35
Hey!!

Request your help with Profile evaluation for 2016-18 class Rotman Full time MBA Please?

I am a Civil/Structural engineer with almost 5 years of Work ex in project management field,
3 years with experience with a Luxury Automotive company in Dealer Development/Sales Network Strategy (handling projects for complete India, only employee of this profile and the youngest employee of the firm) and 2 Years with one of India's leading Automotive mass manufacturer.

University Acads- CGPA 7.29/10 (Above average; from one of the top 20 Engineering institutions of India)

Extra Curriculars- Above avg.

GMAT - 620 ( Q45/V31, IR 6 AWA 5)

What do you guys think?

Should I Retake the GMAT? Super confused! Please Advice!

Thanks in Advance! :)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 05:01
megatron13: i think you do get a work permit. and i just checked the ivey website; you get the work permit. but make sure with each school you're intending on applying for as it might be different.

kachhwahatanmay: i might sound a little harsh, but top 20 doesn't mean much. top 10 or top 5... that's a different story. and "above average" also doesn't mean much. were you top 50%? that's still above average.

and what does above average extracurriculars mean? does that mean you were an executive in ten clubs? or were you a member in a hundred? the first is impressive, the second is not.

also your GMAT is below average at rotman. with the rest of your profile you still have a good shot, but to me that's GMAT is concerning. personally, if i got that GMAT, i'd have done it again. especially if the industries you want post-MBA requires a strong GMAT (read: consulting typically looks for 700+ GMATs).
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 05:33
jigglypuff

Thanks a lot for your response!

Honestly, for the college I might not be able to do anything as of now.
By above average acadmics I meant, I got a rank of 25 out of 85 students. (I know not that impressive but just mentioned to give a overall picture of my profile)

Extracurriculars -to be precise I participated and grew to lead one of the creative clubs (Fine arts and Photography) as a General Secretary/Head of the club for two years...which includes organising Events and workshops and also taking Workshops in basics of photography.
While being a executive member of some more creative clubs.

I agree to your point that the GMAT is below avg and Needs a retake. Thanks for your inputs, I will aim for anywhere around 670-700.

Hope I did clarify my previous ambigous post ( and My apologies for the same)

What do you say is my Target score enough?
What's your take?
Are the other aspects of my profile okay?

Regards
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 09:34
Anyone?
Re: Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2015, 09:34

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  25    Next  [ 486 posts ] 

Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, pushpitkc

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap