Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [17]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
I just have an query, how does the professional experience is calculated if i apply for round 1? is it the application time of R1 or 1 month before or any specific month before commencement of the program ?
I may not be able to go for Round 1 as i have to give GMAT by november. Is that the chance of acceptance reduces if we go for R2 compared to R1 ?

Please provide details for the above queries .
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
manikanth wrote:
I just have an query, how does the professional experience is calculated if i apply for round 1? is it the application time of R1 or 1 month before or any specific month before commencement of the program ?
I may not be able to go for Round 1 as i have to give GMAT by november. Is that the chance of acceptance reduces if we go for R2 compared to R1 ?

Last year's application asked for number of months of employment as of projected enrollment date, not application submission date.

Acceptance rate for R1 vs. R2 is basically a wash. Apply in the round for which you'll be able to submit the best application, which in your case sounds like R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
manikanth wrote:

Actually, applying to Harvard second round reduces your chance of being admitted by almost 50%. I ran a logistic regression using GMAT Club data and application round is very important, even after accounting for GMAT and GPA. If you can get your application ready in time, apply round 1.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ConsultingOrBust wrote:
manikanth wrote:

Actually, applying to Harvard second round reduces your chance of being admitted by almost 50%. I ran a logistic regression using GMAT Club data and application round is very important, even after accounting for GMAT and GPA. If you can get your application ready in time, apply round 1.

I see two issues with your data which are probably impossible to account for given that HBS doesn't release the info you'd need--undergrad institution and professional experience.

My observation has been that R1 tends to see a stronger applicant pool in general--which makes sense if you figure that the fast-tracker applicants coming from Apple/Google/Goldman/MBB-tier firms have probably been prepping to apply for quite awhile already and are able to submit early. So in addition to having their GMAT nailed down in advance (and likely holding a degree from an Ivy/Stanford/Duke-type undergrad), they've probably got a solid handle on career goals and have good recommendations lined up--plus they've already been "anointed" and groomed by their blue-chip firm to attend a top MBA program. A stronger pool should clearly have an admit rate higher than the overall admit rate of ~10% or whatever it is in a given year.

I agree that (all things being equal) it makes sense to apply in R1 if possible. But all things are rarely equal, so if this person is debating between R1 with a low GMAT score (or without a GMAT, from what it sounds like) vs. R2 with a better GMAT score then R2 is clearly the way to go. Applying in R2 with a 730 GMAT and well-written essays is better than applying in R1 with a 680 GMAT and rushed essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-22-2015
GPA: 3.92
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
I'm in for R1. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
In for R1! Can't wait.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi! How long does it take usually to write essay? :?:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.85
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
I'm in for R1 as well. HBS is a longshot for me but why not try. Best of luck everyone!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
I want a realistic estimate of "long shot" versus "no shot" for HBS. It looks like 30% of the class had an Ivy League undergrad, and another 20% had other top tier non-Ivies (Stanford/Duke/MIT/Virginia). If you come from an undergrad ranked below the top 20 and don't work for MBB, is there any point in applying? I assume they save only a few spots for people with a less than premium pedigree (and then you might need a 4.0 with a 780 GMAT).

I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jz4analytics wrote:
I want a realistic estimate of "long shot" versus "no shot" for HBS. It looks like 30% of the class had an Ivy League undergrad, and another 20% had other top tier non-Ivies (Stanford/Duke/MIT/Virginia). If you come from an undergrad ranked below the top 20 and don't work for MBB, is there any point in applying? I assume they save only a few spots for people with a less than premium pedigree (and then you might need a 4.0 with a 780 GMAT).

DOMESTIC UNDERGRADUATE INSTITUTIONS REPRESENTED - 139

That means there are at least 100 domestic students getting in that didn't attend ivy/top 20, no? I'm not sure how accurate it would be to say these 100 all work in MBB, so obviously some of the "long-shots" will get in. And you know what they say, if you don't try, you'll never know. Even if someone is a "no-shot" at a school there has to be some amount of comfort in applying / getting rejected. :)

Easily my undergraduate school is not top 100 but my graduate school is very well known on the east coast, so I'm willing to take a "long-shot" given 750+ on GMAT.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
PolarCatastrophe wrote:
jz4analytics wrote:

DOMESTIC UNDERGRADUATE INSTITUTIONS REPRESENTED - 139

That means there are at least 100 domestic students getting in that didn't attend ivy/top 20, no? I'm not sure how accurate it would be to say these 100 all work in MBB, so obviously some of the "long-shots" will get in. And you know what they say, if you don't try, you'll never know. Even if someone is a "no-shot" at a school there has to be some amount of comfort in applying / getting rejected. :)

Easily my undergraduate school is not top 100 but my graduate school is very well known on the east coast, so I'm willing to take a "long-shot" given 750+ on GMAT.

I wouldn't want to dissuade you from apply to HBS, and these decisions are very personal, but I want a realistic estimate of chances. Part of this is me thinking through my own decision process. There are other institutions represented, but I'm guessing that they only take 1 or 2 students each year from schools like SUNY or Arizona state. My undergrad GPA is "okay", 3.3 in math, but I wonder if HBS admissions would throw any applications with similar profiles in the reject pile if that GPA isn't 3.8+ (regardless of GMAT). I do have an MS in statistics from Virginia, which is one of the top feeder schools to MBA programs, but I don't know how much that weighs in.

Why freight over it? Because I'm considering apply early action to Tuck - stating to love that program - and it wouldn't make sense to reach for HBS if admissions systematically discards applications that read "white male, 3.3 GPA, non-Tier 1 state school."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jz4analytics wrote:
I wouldn't want to dissuade you from apply to HBS, and these decisions are very personal, but I want a realistic estimate of chances. Part of this is me thinking through my own decision process. There are other institutions represented, but I'm guessing that they only take 1 or 2 students each year from schools like SUNY or Arizona state. My undergrad GPA is "okay", 3.3 in math, but I wonder if HBS admissions would throw any applications with similar profiles in the reject pile if that GPA isn't 3.8+ (regardless of GMAT). I do have an MS in statistics from Virginia, which is one of the top feeder schools to MBA programs, but I don't know how much that weighs in.

Why freight over it? Because I'm considering apply early action to Tuck - stating to love that program - and it wouldn't make sense to reach for HBS if admissions systematically discards applications that read "white male, 3.3 GPA, non-Tier 1 state school."

Of course it is best to be realistic and I have yet to mull over completely my own decision for applying to Harvard (and other schools). My current opinion is that if I don't get into a top 10 (maybe 15) school that it may not be worthwhile for me to invest the time and money for the MBA. I agree it would be nice to know if there are any hard cut offs: "Hey let's not look at this guys application because we have never heard of his undergrad!" I realize due to time restraints they can't fully evaluate every candidate (although at $250 a piece I'd like to believe someone could be hired to do so) but it would be nice to know at least the first line of your essay would be read. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
Every application gets read by at least two adcom members from what I've heard--there's no arbitrary "you must have this GMAT/GPA/undergrad school to get on this ride" cutoff line.

With a 3.3 GPA from any school you're going to be fighting an uphill battle for admission to HBS but it's not impossible by any means. The MS from a well-regarded school will help, but the main determining factor for you to get an interview will be whether you can wow them with your personal story and/or career goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
EBM wrote:
Every application gets read by at least two adcom members from what I've heard--there's no arbitrary "you must have this GMAT/GPA/undergrad school to get on this ride" cutoff line.

With a 3.3 GPA from any school you're going to be fighting an uphill battle for admission to HBS but it's not impossible by any means. The MS from a well-regarded school will help, but the main determining factor for you to get an interview will be whether you can wow them with your personal story and/or career goals.

So I read this somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment, it's loosely paraphrased as well. Dee from HBS said that there is no GMAT/GPA minimum, etc.. It is "coincidental"/causal that the folks that are admitted have high GPA's and high GMAT scores. Most of these data points are related right?

So with that being said, I don't think you're wasting your time, go for it, and don't discount yourself...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone

I just finished my very early first draft of the essay. I am wondering whether anyone is interested to team up? I am looking for a team of max 5 people, who are going to apply in R1.

I guess 5 people are smarter than one, and everyone has different sources of information and a different background. Together we can craft great essays. I think the great thing about this approach is, that we really don't know each other yet, and looking at the HBS essay question, if 4 random people feel that they really got to know me and my story well through my essay, then that should apply to the adcom as well.

I am looking for people who take the R1 application seriously. If you are one of them and are interested, then feel free to send me a PM. I was thinking that each of us shares his or her essay as a google document and the other can comment on the document.

The goal is that we all get accepted and meet each other in Aldrich Hall on our first day and introduce ourselves to each other :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [2]
Send PM
Kudos