Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ETS = Extra Testing Stupidity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ETS = Extra Testing Stupidity [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2003, 09:20
Unfortunately for me, retaking the GMAT was a huge disaster. My perseverance in studying and preparation came to a tragic halt. I was scheduled to retake the test last Friday. Due to тАЬtechnical difficultiesтАЭ I was unable to do so. I was sent home with card to call a toll free number to reschedule. ETS apparently had problems sending tests to everyone. After hours of trying to get a human being on the phone I rescheduled for Wednesday February 26. Dallas had a freeze the night before. After many efforts to call, go online, and call Prometric (the local testing center), I showed up not knowing if they were going to be open. I had to find out from the security guard that they were not going to be open. I am a person who has never excelled on standard tests, but has performed in the real world quite well.

After going in today (reschedule #3), I had to wait almost 3 hours for them to get a test into the system for me. I was so frustrated that I went ahead and waited. I had already wasted 2 full days of work attempting to retake this test (not offered on weekends close to here). Needless to say, I did poorly on my retake. I am not passing the blame for my performance, but feel this is very unfair.

My experience has been anything but тАЬstandardтАЭ for a тАЬstandardizedтАЭ test. I feel that ETS has compromised their ability to give everyone a fair chance.

Sean
sean24_7@yahoo.com

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2003, 12:38
Expert's post
CRAP, CRAP, CRAP - that would be my feedback to them.

I had to wait for 30 or so minutes and I thought I was read to kill by the time 20 mins passed. I was very nervous and hate to wait in moments like GMAT, dentistry, or capital punishment, all having about equal impact on my distressed mind.

:? Yeah, if ETS can't help, can't they at least not stand in the way?

Did you try to complain with the GMAC?
At least if they don't cancel your scores, you may get your money back.
Of course this will probably take time and will remind more of the unpleasant experience....

The thing with ETS is that they are a monopoly, so even if they screw up a whole lot, GMAC will not drop them, for they will not have much choice otherwise. But, actually, GMAC said they were pretty happy with the services ETS provides. (I had a phone conversation with one of the representatives).
Intern
Intern

finally [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2003, 07:54
After a lot of BS I finally got through to a VP at ETS. They did give me a voucher. I am hoping to not have to use it. Just plain tired of the process.

Sean
sean24_7@yahoo.com

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: finally [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2003, 12:15
Expert's post
hawaii50 wrote:
After a lot of BS I finally got through to a VP at ETS. They did give me a voucher. I am hoping to not have to use it. Just plain tired of the process.

Wow, a VP...
They did not cancel the score I imagine, right?
(I guess that's what the comment "not to have to use it" refers to. )

I guess the important question I have for you is: Is it easy to get things out of ETS?

If I am not asking too much, how friendly are they on the phone ?

-=-
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2003, 14:18
Well let's see--
once I got a human being on the phone at ETS, she was nice. I actually had to get a REAL phone number by calling GMAC and telling them the circumstances and WHY I needed to talk to someone besides a customer rep.

It was not hard to get a voucher out of ETS given my situation. I will say the man I talked to was very polite and very understanding. It definitely made a huge difference in my opinion of ETS.

Sean
sean24_7@yahoo.com

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2003, 14:36
Expert's post
hawaii50 wrote:
Well let's see--
once I got a human being on the phone at ETS, she was nice. I actually had to get a REAL phone number by calling GMAC and telling them the circumstances and WHY I needed to talk to someone besides a customer rep.

It was not hard to get a voucher out of ETS given my situation. I will say the man I talked to was very polite and very understanding. It definitely made a huge difference in my opinion of ETS.

That's great to hear becuase usually they are percieved as an evil empire or a fortress I guess. Thank you for your reply.

Anyway, that's good it was worth it, at least gives a nice fuzzy feeling in bed.
  [#permalink] 07 Mar 2003, 14:36