Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Feeling worthless

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 02:33
Hi Everyone,
I am a 30 years IT indian guy in working in singapore(PR).I started preparing from december but nothing really started till january and asusual with Kaisu mentality I scheduled exam on feb 11.there is a reason for it in GMATPrep i got 600 (Quant 48 verbal 26).So if I can get 37 or 38 I am in 700 league. I studied super hard. I realized that I have my own version of english (pun) and I needed to unlearn and learn english (like difference between has & have) so I went through some super basic books to get atleast 50% SC questions correct.That took a lot of time around a month.Then again in Feb I postponed it to Apr 2nd .I relaxed for 10-15 days and then started again.So I took a week off before exam work.All these 3 months i was just studying english -SC nothing else.

I was under the illusion that if I can reign the 13 SC questions then I can easily improve my verbal score.I took test again this time I got even lower 540.My quant fell to 41.So I actually spent the last week working on quant ,CR and SC.I took the test(MGMAT) 2 days ago.Quant was still 43 but got higher verbal and was able to maintain speed.

I studied till late night yesterday to improve my Quant.I felt more confident on quant still a lot to learn.

On real test:
========
AWA -1 I couldn't finish the first essay.I never practiced it before.Second one I think I did well.went to wash room in the break and for Quant I was 1.5 mins late.Started solving one after another.Its funny that i either got super easy or near impossible ones.I thought I screwed my Quant so was trying to make as many correct as possible and not leaving tough ones-result I had to random guess last 4-5 I got 45 had i not guessed those i am sure i would have touched 48 or above.
lesson learnt "never evaluate what CAT is doing-just concentrate on what you can do"

2nd break
=======
Next time I took break before verbal but didn't go out
I was even more determined to save the score(I didn't know that I would score 45,else I would have answered normally).I did the first 2 SC for 5 mins.Slowly I picked up the speed but I stopped looking at clock.I think most RC questions correctly.They are not the easy one all the questions were getting tough and I was happy about it.After 20 questions I checked the time.I had less than 20 mins left.I have guess around 7 or eight and could not answer last 3 questions.
"Had I known that I got 45 I would have continued normally."
I should have cancelled the score but I felt I should know what went wrong.I was slapped with 600 score.Which means I could have taken the test 3-4 months ago and it would have saved me the time , money and effort.
I think GMAC should give an option for people to see how they did in the previous section before moving on to another.

I observed few things after 30 mins in to verbal:
1)I was feeling back pain-Real pain.Tried moving backwards , front.. lots of adjustments nothing worked
2)My eyes were burning.
3)My concentration was waning(had to read 2-3 times)
4)During my preperation,eventhough I took full day off,I could not study more than 7-8 hours.Only 1 test per day
Infact I didn't have time to analyse my weakness.I reading and taking tests.I coulnd not complere powerscore bible.Its 350 page book.

My questions:
1)What is the solution to above problems(if you have faced)?
2)How many test should be taken before attempting the main test (I took 4 MGMAt tests)
3)How many hours/day is required to and months to get 720+(Please don't think I am greedy,avg.Indian guys score is 730)
4)Or I am too old for this tests.
5)Should I apply for NUS part-time with this score ?(If I am too old)

Any advice / bashing is taken positively.I wan somebody to scold me :(

Total nerd
GN
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 20

Re: Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 04:13
Hey cheer up I'm sure you will get much better in the next test.

What prep materials did you use for verbal section?
I don't think you should apply to NUS now, try to improve your verbal and take the gmat again.

How did u fare in RC and CR?? in practice tests.

Please give KUDOS if you find that my post adds value! Thank you!! :)

Question Bank Extracted from the GMATPrep Software:
857 Verbal Questions: gmatprep-verbal-question-bank-130070.html
393 Quant PS Questions: gmatprep-ps-question-bank-130073.html
436 Quant DS Questions: gmatprep-ds-question-bank-130069.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 06:14
gmatnerd wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I am a 30 years IT indian guy in working in singapore(PR).I started preparing from december but nothing really started till january and asusual with Kaisu mentality I scheduled exam on feb 11.there is a reason for it in GMATPrep i got 600 (Quant 48 verbal 26).So if I can get 37 or 38 I am in 700 league. I studied super hard. I realized that I have my own version of english (pun) and I needed to unlearn and learn english (like difference between has & have) so I went through some super basic books to get atleast 50% SC questions correct.That took a lot of time around a month.Then again in Feb I postponed it to Apr 2nd .I relaxed for 10-15 days and then started again.So I took a week off before exam work.All these 3 months i was just studying english -SC nothing else.

I was under the illusion that if I can reign the 13 SC questions then I can easily improve my verbal score.I took test again this time I got even lower 540.My quant fell to 41.So I actually spent the last week working on quant ,CR and SC.I took the test(MGMAT) 2 days ago.Quant was still 43 but got higher verbal and was able to maintain speed.

I studied till late night yesterday to improve my Quant.I felt more confident on quant still a lot to learn.

On real test:
========
AWA -1 I couldn't finish the first essay.I never practiced it before.Second one I think I did well.went to wash room in the break and for Quant I was 1.5 mins late.Started solving one after another.Its funny that i either got super easy or near impossible ones.I thought I screwed my Quant so was trying to make as many correct as possible and not leaving tough ones-result I had to random guess last 4-5 I got 45 had i not guessed those i am sure i would have touched 48 or above.
lesson learnt "never evaluate what CAT is doing-just concentrate on what you can do"

2nd break
=======
Next time I took break before verbal but didn't go out
I was even more determined to save the score(I didn't know that I would score 45,else I would have answered normally).I did the first 2 SC for 5 mins.Slowly I picked up the speed but I stopped looking at clock.I think most RC questions correctly.They are not the easy one all the questions were getting tough and I was happy about it.After 20 questions I checked the time.I had less than 20 mins left.I have guess around 7 or eight and could not answer last 3 questions.
"Had I known that I got 45 I would have continued normally."
I should have cancelled the score but I felt I should know what went wrong.I was slapped with 600 score.Which means I could have taken the test 3-4 months ago and it would have saved me the time , money and effort.
I think GMAC should give an option for people to see how they did in the previous section before moving on to another.

I observed few things after 30 mins in to verbal:
1)I was feeling back pain-Real pain.Tried moving backwards , front.. lots of adjustments nothing worked
2)My eyes were burning.
3)My concentration was waning(had to read 2-3 times)
4)During my preperation,eventhough I took full day off,I could not study more than 7-8 hours.Only 1 test per day
Infact I didn't have time to analyse my weakness.I reading and taking tests.I coulnd not complere powerscore bible.Its 350 page book.

My questions:
1)What is the solution to above problems(if you have faced)?
2)How many test should be taken before attempting the main test (I took 4 MGMAt tests)
3)How many hours/day is required to and months to get 720+(Please don't think I am greedy,avg.Indian guys score is 730)
4)Or I am too old for this tests.
5)Should I apply for NUS part-time with this score ?(If I am too old)

Any advice / bashing is taken positively.I wan somebody to scold me :(

Total nerd
GN

I've been through what you are experiencing now. Remember that GMAT and b-school don't define who you are. With a 600 GMAT score and a strong profile, you can still apply to some pretty good business schools in Asia and in Europe (think IESE, IE business school, RSM, Esade) ! I don't think NUS will turn down your application. They are always on the look out for people who can add diversity to the class. I know of a friend who did part-time before switching to full-time. You can consider this option too. All the best! Don't give up on yourself. You are already showing so much more courage and potential just by showing your desire to apply to a competitive graduate program and school. All the best ! : )

BTW, do consider SMU's MBA program. I heard it's coming up very strongly from behind and I wont be surprised SMU's MBA surpasses NUS /NTU in global MBA rankings in a few years' time.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
Remember:

The GMAT is designed to stratify people. Your ability is one thing, and ability to function under pressure and fairly constricted time is something else.

I would never recommend studying 7-8 hours per day nor taking more than one practice test per day. It appears you burned out in prep and this in turn caused you to burn out on the real thing.

My advice:

Take your real exam score last practice test as a benchmark. See how close or far apart they are. Begin tracking through an error log to figure out the "WHY" aspect of running into timing issues. Also, read out timing strategy thread to make sure you are always on pace to finish the test:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Best of luck

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 22:36
This is the material I used.

Grammar for Dummies(Completely)
Grammar for utterly confused(Completely)
Basic grammar & advanced grammar by cambridge press (only selective sections)
Aristotle SC grail thoroughly
MGMAT SC guide Throughly
Solved 10 th & 11th edition GMAT
Kaplan Premier

CR
Kaplan premier and
100 pages from Powerscore (didn't have time to study everything).I highly recommend this book.Next time I am going to study it completely

RC
None

Quant
-------
Did 2-3 times OG 11th and 10th edition
Kaplan Premier
Intern
Intern

Re: Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 01:06
I have settled wit NUS part-time.I think I made the right decision and will try to make most out of it.All the best for others.I think I nailed the essays and my profile with 4 countries working experience helped.
Tip: NUS essays are very tricky as there is a word limit.Never ever exceed the limit.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Feeling worthless [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 11:20
I have to second mohater for the tenth time; Gmat usually reacts negatively to the excessive "need to score high" , to long hours of study.

Cheer up, man. It was just a hard learned lesson and you are nowhere near the bottom.

Give yourself another chance.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Re: Feeling worthless   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2012, 11:20