Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

79% (01:55) correct 21% (00:49) wrong based on 117 sessions
Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.
A. not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws
B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also a poet and a philosopher drawing
E. unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing

I do not have OA For this.

I went with C.

Last edited by bigfernhead on 20 Nov 2008, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: World Class Chef [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:
Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.
A. not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws
B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws
D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also a poet and a philosopher drawing
E. unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing

I went with C.

IMHO, C.

A. 'Not only' is incorrectly placed.
B. The pattern of the sentence is X is scholar .......... and a poet & philosopher who.....,
For the sentence to be parallel , there should be a "who" after scholar.
B violates parallelism.

C. correct

D. not only is not present, a hanging "but also" is used

E. unearths..., drawing ..., is not parallel.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: World Class Chef [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 01:47
bigfernhead wrote:

I went with C.

C is best .

Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: World Class Chef [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

Parallelism: who unearths....who draws

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: World Class Chef [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 15:22
Agree c

Posted from my mobile device Image

My Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: SC: World Class Chef [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 20:11
C is correct.

Florentine cooking, is an accomplished scholar--- as well as----
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 03:11
A - not only X but also Y. X and Y should be parallel and similar in construction. X - unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts is not parallel to Y - a poet and philosopher who draws his inspiration from the idyllic frescoes of Etruscan tombs.

B - ‘unearthing’ is wrong usage, gives rise to a phrase without a verb which is not parallel to what follows ‘as well as’ which has a verb. ‘who draws’ not parallel to ‘unearthing’, as well as after comma is not perfect. X as well as Y. X and Y should be parallel.

C - Seems CORRECT. X as well as Y. X and Y is perfectly parallel.

D - ‘but also’ is used incorrectly. Correct idiom is ‘not only .. but also ..’. ‘drawing’ used as adjective cause two sides of as well as to become un parallel.

E - ‘a poet and philosopher drawing ..’ changes meaning of sentence by shifting focus to poet and philosopher, while Alessi is primarily a poet and philosopher.

the subject is Alessi (sing.) not poet and philosopher. So if we asks, who draws? the answer is Alessi. A poet and a philosopher are not drawing. 'Poet and philosopher' are two things Alessi is considered.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 363 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:

I went with C.

Ans C wins hands down :)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:16
Is B also wrong because of the construction : noun + verbing

'scholar+unearthing'

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3509 [0], given: 185

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:32
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:

'scholar+unearthing'

Hi Sachin,

Choice B reads - unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws

This construction violates teh parallelism in the sentence. The senetnce says Giuseppe Alessi is a scholar and also a poet and philisopher. Then the sentence presents additonal information about Alessi as a scholar and a s a poet and philosopher. The entities in the parallel are "an accomplished scholar unearthing..." and "a poet and a philosopher who draws...". Verb-ing modifier phrase "unerathing..." is not grammatically parallel to relative pronoun clause "who draws...". This choice would be correct if "who draws..." were "drawing...".

Choice C corrects the parallelism by making both the entities relative pronoun clauses.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:38
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

'scholar+unearthing'

Hi Sachin,

Choice B reads - unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws

This construction violates teh parallelism in the sentence. The senetnce says Giuseppe Alessi is a scholar and also a poet and philisopher. Then the sentence presents additonal information about Alessi as a scholar and a s a poet and philosopher. The entities in the parallel are "an accomplished scholar unearthing..." and "a poet and a philosopher who draws...". Verb-ing modifier phrase "unerathing..." is not grammatically parallel to relative pronoun clause "who draws...". This choice would be correct if "who draws..." were "drawing...".

Choice C corrects the parallelism by making both the entities relative pronoun clauses.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Thanks for responding. :) My question specifically is about the construction: noun+verbing.. Is it right? comma + verb-ing should either act as a modifier or verbing should be used to describe the present continuous tense IMHO.

Giuseppe Alessi is an accomplished scholar unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts.

Is the above sentence grammatically correct? Kindly clarify.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 29

Premium Member
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:49
Sachin9 wrote:

'scholar+unearthing'

B is definitely wrong. Cut out the fat (if you like, the modifier) to make the sentence clearer.

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 07:58
knightofdelta wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

'scholar+unearthing'

B is definitely wrong. Cut out the fat (if you like, the modifier) to make the sentence clearer.

I know its wrong knight but my specific question is if it is also wrong because of the presence of
:
noun + verbing

'scholar+unearthing'

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3509 [1] , given: 185

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
My question specifically is about the construction: noun+verbing.. Is it right? comma + verb-ing should either act as a modifier or verbing should be used to describe the present continuous tense IMHO.

Giuseppe Alessi is an accomplished scholar unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts.

Hi Sachin,

When verb-ing modifier is preceded by a comma, then it modifies the preceding clause and takes the tense of the verb of the modified clause. When verb-ing modifier is used without a comma, then it modifies the preceding noun. This is a valid construction.

In this official sentence, "unearthing..." modifes "scholar".

You can refer to this article for uasge of Verb-ings modifiers:
usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html
verb-ing-modifiers-part-2-in-our-first-article-on-verb-ing-135567.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 19:42
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
My question specifically is about the construction: noun+verbing.. Is it right? comma + verb-ing should either act as a modifier or verbing should be used to describe the present continuous tense IMHO.

Hi Sachin,

When verb-ing modifier is preceded by a comma, then it modifies the preceding clause and takes the tense of the verb of the modified clause. When verb-ing modifier is used without a comma, then it modifies the preceding noun. This is a valid construction.

Thanks.
Shraddha

thanks a lot Shraddha :)

preposition+ noun+verbing : this must be wrong, right?

eg. : I have never heard of dogs barking.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 5

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 16:44
First look: Parallelism, modifiers, idioms.

A. not only unearthing many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts but also a poet and philosopher who draws Wrong - "Not only..but also" is an idiom that requires parallel elements; "unearthing" and "a poet...who" are not parallel.

B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws Wrong - The sentence with "as well as" requires consistency among the predicates. "Both" is also idiomatic and not used correctly.

C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws Ok - Parallel elements "who unearths...who draws"

D. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, but also a poet and a philosopher drawing Wrong - "but also" is an idiomatic construction. Furthermore, "who" and "drawing" are not consistent.

E. unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, a poet and philosopher drawing Wrong - The answer choice makes "a poet and philosopher" in to an appositive incorrectly modifying manuscripts or recipes.

IMO C

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 5

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 16:52
Sachin9 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

Hi Sachin,

Thanks.
Shraddha

thanks a lot Shraddha :)

preposition+ noun+verbing : this must be wrong, right?

eg. : I have never heard of dogs barking.

The above sentence could be correct. It depends on the authors intent. For example, the "Dogs barking" could be a complex gerund, and the "dogs" describes the type of "barking," making compound noun "dog barking." It's further proven in that only a noun can be an object of prepositional phrase.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 22:28

INCORRECT PORTIONS HIGHLIGHTED....

B. unearthing many of his recipes both from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopherwho draws
C. who unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, as well as a poet and a philosopher who draws....CORRECT
E. unearths many of his recipes from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts,a poet and philosopher drawing
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 44

Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 14:23
bigfernhead wrote:

I went with C.

i think choice C because of parallelism
Re: Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2014, 14:23