GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 17:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022

new topic post reply Update application status  
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 03:11
Welcome all Sloan class of 2022 hopefuls. Let's use this platform to know each-other, exchange ideas, discuss app strategies, and some profile discussions may be? Give a shout out!

MIT Decision Tracker & Historical Admit Data | Add MIT Sloan to your profile

Deadlines, Essay Questions and Essay Analysis

Class Profile

• Class Size: 409 (Women: 42%; International: 38%)
  • Avg GMAT: 728 (Middle 80%: 700 - 760)
  • Avg GPA: 3.48
  • Avg WE: 4.9
  • Most Represented Educational Background: Engineering 31%
  • Most Represented Industry: Consulting 21%
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 03:12

MIT Sloan MBA Deadlines

RoundApplication DueDecisions Released
R1October 1, 2019December 18, 2019
R2January 21, 2020March 31, 2020
R3April 9, 2020May 7, 2020

MIT Sloan essays/requirements

• Cover Letter
    MIT Sloan seeks students whose personal characteristics demonstrate that they will make the most of the incredible opportunities at MIT, both academic and non-academic. We are on a quest to find those whose presence will enhance the experience of other students. We seek thoughtful leaders with exceptional intellectual abilities and the drive and determination to put their stamp on the world. We welcome people who are independent, authentic, and fearlessly creative — true doers. We want people who can redefine solutions to conventional problems, and strive to preempt unconventional dilemmas with cutting-edge ideas. We demand integrity and respect passion.

Taking the above into consideration, please submit a cover letter seeking a place in the MIT Sloan MBA Program. Your letter should conform to a standard business correspondence, include one or more examples that illustrate why you meet the desired criteria above, and be addressed to the Assistant Deans of Admissions, Rod Garcia and Dawna Levenson (300 words or fewer, excluding address and salutation).

• Resume
    Please submit a one-page resume (Times New Roman 10 point font preferred) that includes your employment history and academic record in reverse chronological order. Other information appropriate to a business resume is welcomed and encouraged, including extracurricular activities, awards, and achievements. Please REDACT your name, address, and contact information. For formatting purposes, please list the information in the following order:

- Education – please feel free to include relevant awards, scholarships, professional societies
    - Work Experience – please list in reverse chronological order and include: company name, title, results-oriented bullets that demonstrate your skill set, and dates.
    - Additional information – languages, extracurricular activities/community service, technical skills/certifications, special skills/interests (if appropriate)

• Video Statement
    Please take a minute to introduce yourself to your future classmates via video. Include a bit on your past experience and why MIT Sloan is the best place for you to pursue your MBA. Videos should be a single take (no editing) lasting no more than one minute and consisting of you speaking directly to the camera. We recommend using an application such as QuickTime or iMovie to record yourself.
    Upload the video file according to the detailed instructions within the application. We support the following file formats: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .webm, .wmv
    Should you experience difficulties uploading your file, please ensure that you're using a modern web browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) on the fastest wired internet connection available. An intermittent or slow internet connection can cause uploads to timeout.

• Organizational Structure
    Please upload an organizational chart which outlines the internal structure of your department and company. Limit to two pages.
    Note: You may choose to create your own document or redact individuals' names. However, please provide as much information as possible.
    We should be able to see your line of reporting to the top of your organization, and to easily find you, your peers, your supervisor, their peers, and your direct reports (should you have any), as well as any recommender or references from your current organization. For those in consulting, please submit an organizational chart of a current or previous project you were staffed on. Please use the sample organizational chart displayed in the application as a guideline.

Analysis of Sloan MBA Essays By: Stacy Blackman | PersonalMBACoach
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 21:33
I often encourage clients to apply to Sloan because it requires a small up-front investment, if you have done the CV correctly. Also, the deadline is towards the end of the cycle so it's a way to leverage your efforts.

Cover Letter: They believe your past is the best indicator of your future - and so it indicates what you will bring to your class/ocean at Sloan. In the cover letter, try to get clear on your brand promise: what you deliver in every setting. And then provide a couple examples that illustrate this in STAR format.

The key is to succinctly articulate what the heck is so special about you, and for you to substantiate that.

Video: This is the first time they are asking "why Sloan" in the video which requires you to interview some past and current students, but the upshot of that your interviewees are writing your essay for you, if you ask good questions!

They are asking for you to include a bit about your experience. This surprises me, because they usually like to learn about a different dimension to you in this video. However I am sure they want to see how you might present your background in an interview. Make sure to communicate this experience in simple, relatable, universal language.

One minute is not a lot of time, maybe about 130 words. But do squeeze in a bit that helps them get to know you as a person, where you are from, maybe a bit about family (or not) but definitely your hobbies. You want to come across as energetic, interesting and well-rounded (not a boring robotic engineer.) Someone who you would enjoy speaking to at a cocktail party. That is the threshold.
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 09:45
Ok so MIT Sloan gets the award of the slowest thread this year! What is happening? Who are you all? I applied last year and interviewed. Had a great experience and converted a waitlist in July :)

Ended up going to Michigan, but happy to answer questions! Come on over here!
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 01:16
I have a question regarding TOEFL requirement. I did my undergrad from IIT Madras. Do I really need to write TOEFL prior to applying?
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 04:14
supriyam wrote:
I have a question regarding TOEFL requirement. I did my undergrad from IIT Madras. Do I really need to write TOEFL prior to applying?

As per the information given in US News rankings, TOEFL is not required, but, check with the school once again.

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 05:42
supriyam wrote:

TOEFL is not required for Sloan, as clearly mentioned on their website.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 03:02
Hi all,

Myself Nitesh, Following is my profile -

GMAT- 730(Q49, V40)
GPA- 7.77/10 (MECH. ENGG.)
U.G. College - BIT Mesra
Work Exp- 3.5 years(Not a big name employer, but the quality of work ex is good)
Nationality - Indian
Gender- Male
EC- not exceptional, but overall fine

I am planning on applying for the LGO program through MIT Sloan. I am a little worried since my GMAT seems to be 20 points less. What do you think should I go ahead and apply for the course or is it too much of a stretch.

Thanks in advance
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 11:56
nitesh1357 wrote:
Hi all,

Myself Nitesh, Following is my profile -

GMAT- 730(Q49, V40)
GPA- 7.77/10 (MECH. ENGG.)
U.G. College - BIT Mesra
Work Exp- 3.5 years(Not a big name employer, but the quality of work ex is good)
Nationality - Indian
Gender- Male
EC- not exceptional, but overall fine

I am planning on applying for the LGO program through MIT Sloan. I am a little worried since my GMAT seems to be 20 points less. What do you think should I go ahead and apply for the course or is it too much of a stretch.

Thanks in advance

nitesh1357

Please post your profile evaluation question in the following link. This topic is specifically for application-related questions. In the following link, you can also see how other profiles got evaluated so that will give you an idea of how your profile compares to them.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-are-my- ... 04980.html
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 14:21
Fellow Sloanies- who are you choosing to write your recommendation letter? I'm asking a colleague/senior level individual who I done alot of work with.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '22 (II)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 10:27
Can anyone tell me whether we need to submit an official GMAC score report ahead of Oct 1? It doesn’t seem to say explicitly anywhere in the application.

Are we fine self-reporting for now?

Posted from my mobile device
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 13:59
Hi 770Q48V51,

MIT Sloan requires that applicants submit a self-reported and an official test score by the deadline. So please do request your scores be sent to MIT Sloan ASAP.

Good luck!

Susan

770Q48V51 wrote:
Can anyone tell me whether we need to submit an official GMAC score report ahead of Oct 1? It doesn’t seem to say explicitly anywhere in the application.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 15:13
Curious how others are tackling the employment information. I've been at the same employer (large consulting firm) for 5 years and unsure if I should create separate entries for each promotion or only have one for the entire time?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '22 (II)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 21:37
Thanks so much for the heads up! I feel like an idiot not having realized that. Fortunately, their FAQs said it’s okay if they receive the scores shortly after the deadline.

SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi 770Q48V51,

MIT Sloan requires that applicants submit a self-reported and an official test score by the deadline. So please do request your scores be sent to MIT Sloan ASAP.

Good luck!

Susan

770Q48V51 wrote:

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 23:02
chestud13 wrote:
Fellow Sloanies- who are you choosing to write your recommendation letter? I'm asking a colleague/senior level individual who I done alot of work with.

If it helps, we recently published a video on this topic - Getting a Strong MBA Recommendation Letter.
Here is another video on MBA recommendations for entrepreneurs or those coming from family businesses - Best Recommenders if You are an Entrepreneur OR working in family business

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
LBS Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 07:29
I also submitted on Tuesday, now it is on to crossing fingers and hoping for the best. Especially the video was something that caused me quite a bit of headache :)

Does anyone know what percentage of additional references roughly get called?

Best regards,
Chris
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 07:20
Wonder if the one person in the tracker with an interview invite accidentally hit the button or if they actually got one.
LBS Moderator
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 10:24
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 10:56
Hi fellow R1-ers, has anyone had one of their references contacted by Admissions yet?
LBS Moderator
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 11:06
eddievh wrote:
Hi fellow R1-ers, has anyone had one of their references contacted by Admissions yet?

They did not contact any of mine yet (hope this is not a bad sign).

Cheers,
Chris
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2019, 11:06

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 68 posts ] 

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer