GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
LBS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 663
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 22:36
I can´t speak for India, but the schedule seems to be early December for most European locations.
However, as the other members have stated, the interview dates depend on the adcoms travel schedule.

Cheers,
Chris
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Location: United States (MA)
GPA: 3.51
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 09:13
Anyone interview at Sloan yet and have a report to share?
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 12:24
Just had a chat with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of MIT Sloan
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
Over represented pool might need to stand out from others of the same pool
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.
I can give you a reason but find your own.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Australia
GPA: 4
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 12:27
Businessconquerer wrote:
Just had a chat with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of MIT Sloan
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
Over represented pool might need to stand out from others of the same pool
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.
I can give you a reason but find your own.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me


Thanks for the insight!

Do you know how this changes (if at all) for undergraduate students applying for the Early Admission program?

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
UGRD Engineering/Business, Melbourne Australia
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 12:35
HWaus wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:
Just had a chat with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of MIT Sloan
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
Over represented pool might need to stand out from others of the same pool
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.
I can give you a reason but find your own.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me


Thanks for the insight!

Do you know how this changes (if at all) for undergraduate students applying for the Early Admission program?

Posted from my mobile device

Please PM me with the specific query, give me a lil detail as to what you're implying?
I can send in a detailed answer to that questions
Basic things that I tell the Early Applicants
Get a LOR from the highest ranked person from your university
Persuasion is a big power in Business world, if you can persuade a person at such a high post to write and take some time out to do so for you, you are great at persuading, in their eyes
They are down to one LOR now, so it better be the best
Keep the GMAT score above the Mid-80% range, why?
Well the business skills needed are missing at the moment, you want to show that you'll fit
And the scholarships are all need based showing how confident the b-school is about their students merit, as everyone who enters MIT is considered better than all the other B-schools, same goes for Harvard
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Australia
GPA: 4
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 12:48
Businessconquerer wrote:
HWaus wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:
Just had a chat with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of MIT Sloan
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
Over represented pool might need to stand out from others of the same pool
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.
I can give you a reason but find your own.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me


Thanks for the insight!

Do you know how this changes (if at all) for undergraduate students applying for the Early Admission program?

Posted from my mobile device

Please PM me with the specific query, give me a lil detail as to what you're implying?
I can send in a detailed answer to that questions
Basic things that I tell the Early Applicants
Get a LOR from the highest ranked person from your university
Persuasion is a big power in Business world, if you can persuade a person at such a high post to write and take some time out to do so for you, you are great at persuading, in their eyes
They are down to one LOR now, so it better be the best
Keep the GMAT score above the Mid-80% range, why?
Well the business skills needed are missing at the moment, you want to show that you'll fit
And the scholarships are all need based showing how confident the b-school is about their students merit, as everyone who enters MIT is considered better than all the other B-schools, same goes for Harvard


At the moment I don't have a more specific question. Thanks for the info!
_________________
UGRD Engineering/Business, Melbourne Australia
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 13:19
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/admissions-eve ... i=78875271

Please go through this link guys. Know more about MIT Sloan
There's more to Sloan than what you think.
Nothing unique though.
LBS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 663
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2019, 01:13
Businessconquerer wrote:
Just had a chat with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of MIT Sloan
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
Over represented pool might need to stand out from others of the same pool
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.
I can give you a reason but find your own.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me


Thanks for the insights mate!
I seem to have done it exactly wrong, could have gotten an from either a very high ranking member in the organization or the SVP of my department (MIT Alumni) but went with my direct supervisor due to the proximity. :/

Did they mention anything with regards to the interviews by any chance? :)

Cheers,
Chris

They certainly did. But I was multitasking and solving a case study on Redhook Ale by Darden so was quite distracted. I'll be going through the questions once I receive a recording from Linda Abraham, I'll upload the entire quotes and my view on what I think are they trying to cleverly hide with a clever word play.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Location: United States (MA)
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:22
Businessconquerer, I'm a longtime lurker on these forums, but I was wondering if you could clarify a point you'd made in your post, as it seems to run counter to what I've heard from Sloan.

To the best of my knowledge, Sloan much prefers a letter of recommendation from a direct, current (or former) supervisor rather than someone in a high post. While getting someone with a "VP" or "CEO" in their title to write a letter may sound impressive, Sloan is targeting someone who knows you very well and can speak to your accomplishments. This seems to be the case with every school I've looked into.

This is demonstrated on their "How to Apply" page:
A professional recommendation is preferred, from an individual who is able to speak with certainty about your professional achievements and potential.
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/how-to-apply.

It's also explicitly stated on their videos from the Admissions team: https://youtu.be/IklwEESmSZ8?list=PLLps ... xhgK9&t=26

And here again from their 2018 video: https://youtu.be/NkoAg791ov0?t=56
"Finally, if you think that the president of CEO of your company might be a good recommender and this is somebody who you bumped into in an elevator who would perhaps write a sentence or two, I'm telling you, that is not a good choice. In the end, we're looking for people to write recommendations who know you well and can speak to the contribution that you have made in an organization. We're assessing you not them." - Dawna Levenson, Assistant Dean, MIT Sloan Admissions



Just want to make sure we all have the right information :) If the content of this post is true, Arro44 I'd say you did exactly the right thing
LBS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 663
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:45
Businessconquerer ,

I think you edited my post instead of quoting it. ;)
No worries, happened to me a few times too once I got that additional function after becoming a mod.

I left my post including you latest comments the way it is so you can just copy/paste it into a new post.

warmsoupbelly

Thank you for that insight, makes me feel a little better about the choice. =)
_________________
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:52
Arro44 wrote:
Businessconquerer ,

I think you edited my post instead of quoting it. ;)
No worries, happened to me a few times too once I got that additional function after becoming a mod.

I left my post including you latest comments the way it is so you can just copy/paste it into a new post.

warmsoupbelly

Thank you for that insight, makes me feel a little better about the choice. =)

Crap I edited his too
I need to apologize to everyone here
I'm Sooooo sorry guys, please repost. I'll remove it.

But guys, it's obvious business logic- Brand Value and Negotiation power.
I don't need to explain this to you guys
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:53
If you're going to be a good businessman, you need to learn to read between the lines

A Senior Partner of a company and Managing partner of a company would never give a LOR to someone who they do not know well, would they?
Nope
They would never

Now as for the claims, "a person who can speak highly of your accomplishments"
Direct supervisors can be difficult to deal with. If your application LOR is from a Senior partner who knows you well, it will definitely carry weight for two reasons-
1. Senior Partners have a reputation to maintain, they don't just hand stuff to anyone who is willing to leave the company
2. It shows how well you can convince a guy at a position so high as to take out time for such a lower level employee

Besides, my direct supervisor and Managing partner were same people.
So it was not much of an issue for me.

Yes, an LOR from direct supervisor counts
But in a way, the senior partners must have supervised you directly or indirectly, some point in your career.
I just read between the lines and this is what I made of the "effectiveness of LOR is important"
And to those who wish to produce two LORs, go for one big name and one direct supervisor. A perfect balance of Brand Value and Knowledge
LBS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 663
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 10:12
No Worries I tried to recreate the initial posts as good as I could.

Businessconquerer wrote:
If you're going to be a good businessman, you need to learn to read between the lines

A Senior Partner of a company and Managing partner of a company would never give a LOR to someone who they do not know well, would they?
Nope
They would never

Now as for the claims, "a person who can speak highly of your accomplishments"
Direct supervisors can be difficult to deal with. If your application LOR is from a Senior partner who knows you well, it will definitely carry weight for two reasons-
1. Senior Partners have a reputation to maintain, they don't just hand stuff to anyone who is willing to leave the company
2. It shows how well you can convince a guy at a position so high as to take out time for such a lower level employee

Besides, my direct supervisor and Managing partner were same people.
So it was not much of an issue for me.

Yes, an LOR from direct supervisor counts
But in a way, the senior partners must have supervised you directly or indirectly, some point in your career.
I just read between the lines and this is what I made of the "effectiveness of LOR is important"
And to those who wish to produce two LORs, go for one big name and one direct supervisor. A perfect balance of Brand Value and Knowledge


I agree with some of your points but I´d disagree with others.

I agree that a C-level member of my organization wouldn´t hand out an LoR to just anyone.
However, my organization has more than 10bn of revenue and 10000+ employees, so even if the CXO has a pretty good opinion of me & my work and is aware of my existence, I do not interact with him on a very frequent basis.

An LoR from someone like that in my organization would have likely been written 100% by myself, he would have briefly checked the content and then signed off on it. :)
In my opinion that would have have defeated the purpose in the given case.

However, I am aware that in smaller organizations/ a consulting environment the interaction between the hierarchy levels is more frequent and fluent.

Cheers,
Chris
_________________
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 10:25
1
I would highly discourage any involvement of any kind in your LORs other than asking the person for it

It is a serious offense and you will be kicked out of the school application for doing so.
If your Managing Partner is giving a LOR, schools don't look at it with scepticism. If they do, they'll follow up.
You can see the effect of LOR in the tool that we made. The guy needs to maintain the integrity. I have never seen anyone do any such black market like job.

But, it does show negotiation power. It won't matter that much though as there are other factors but comparitively, there will be a lil more inclination to approach the guy who could convince a Managing partner to take out time to tell tales of glory of a guy who is about to leave the very firm he would have to go through an effort to hire a new employee in.
Again, it can vary from person to person, but it is what I can make of it.
I don't believe a word the Adcom says, I treat every word of theirs with scepticism and try to figure out what they are trying to hide with Clever Word Play.

Acceptance rates decrease with the increase in the number of applicants in the pool, there are so many other factors I don't wanna waster your time with. Just think practically, don't just think that they'll guess something. "They won't call you fake", quote by the HBS guru Sandy Kriesberg for HBS. Your LORs dictate that you weren't involved, at least that what the rule is. If the Adcom thinks and rejects you for that,take a sigh as it is their loss. Business is about proof more than intuition
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 11:58
1
Just completed the webinar of Tepper CMU. Posting it here too to help MIT candidates WHO MIGHT apply
The course is Quant heavy and they prefer to see either GMAT or GRE. (Opinion- They truly do, almost 22% from GRE, checked myself)
The program is STEM
Your degree regardless of concentration will be STEM
Your academic performance is essential in the review. If you are an engineer, take a sigh of relief as you can demonstrate talent to deal with quant, if your scores say that of course

Use the optional essay to describe any, ANY, thing that would raise an eye brow. Call it a asterisk as a T&C apply type stuff

Take courses on math, business math if you can to demonstrate that you can take the quant.
You may take another GMAT after applying, just mention that to the Adcom and submit that before interview deadlines.

The LORs from a person "who knows your well and is an advocate of your accomplishment" is preferred over "designation"
If your current direct supervisor cannot give you the LOR then mention that in Additional essay and use an indirect supervisor (Opinion- Prefer to take one LOR from direct supervisor and one from a person with
good position who knows you professionally well to maintain a balance of Brand value and Knowledge)
Sloan MIT School Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 577
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 06:55
2
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat6.php

This is the thread for decision of MIT Sloan DECISIONS CHAT on December 18
Feel free to connect to other students admitted
Develop connections before you get in
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 06:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 76 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne