Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [16]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [10]
Send PM
Re: Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Some thoughts I can offer:

LBS likes seasoned applicants. If you have less than 4-5 years of work experience, they are likely to recommend you apply to their MIM program. Would say LBS is almost similar to an executive program in that work experience is their primary concern, in the words of David Simpson, “show me the level you are working at.” Speak to budgets, direct reports, role in the organization in your CV and recommendations.

Also, they like to see a good fit. They want to know that what they offer is what you are seeking – specifically. I imagine this is for yield purposes (they probably lose out quite a bit to INSEAD and top US schools)

So make sure to speak on how LBS is special to you. Not just in terms of fun and interesting, but how it matches up with your career trajectory, future goals and legacy.

1) Articulate why you need a United Nations style MBA program – how that ties up with your goals. 2) Also good to show how appreciate the flexibility of the program term, how that is going to help you.

Both of these things are unique to LBS (aside from #1 for INSEAD) and if they know you value what makes them unique, they feel they are more likely to “get” you. This increases your chances of an admit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [2]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022! [#permalink]
Kudos
MBAPrepCoach , GMATin ,

thank you for the positive feedback, although I have to admit that the main work has been done by Narenn and I just wanted to make sure I keep his good ideas alive for this years thread. :)

I´ll get in touch with the other moderators to see if we can also get some LBS alums/students to share their thoughts and experiences to give us some food for though regarding the upcoming admission cycle. Furthermore, there are a couple of interesting YT videos about LBS available, I´ll integrate them into the first post as well.

With regards to the decrease in IB placings I´ve not yet heard of the reasons, but with the weekend coming up I´ll do some research on that topic and keep you posted.

If there is anything else you would like to see here please let me know!
I want to make this thread is worth your read.

Best regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Arro44, that sounds great. Such a post could be very impactful. Another thing I was thinking, could we have a reserved post for all past and current blogs of LBS students? I can see there are numerous such posts in the forum but combining all of them into one as a repository for future reference could be great. In case there is one such post that I missed, please do let me know.

Narenn is, of course, a star when it comes to combining all the valuable information a candidate could require on the MBA process. :)

MBAPrepCoach, thank you for your valuable suggestions. While I am already doing most of your suggestions, I always wonder if I am going overboard with alumni connect and research. However, your comments have put me at ease :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

LBS likes seasoned applicants. If you have less than 4-5 years of work experience, they are likely to recommend you apply to their MIM program. Would say LBS is almost similar to an executive program in that work experience is their primary concern, in the words of David Simpson, “show me the level you are working at.” Speak to budgets, direct reports, role in the organization in your CV and recommendations.

Also, they like to see a good fit. They want to know that what they offer is what you are seeking – specifically. I imagine this is for yield purposes (they probably lose out quite a bit to INSEAD and top US schools)

So make sure to speak on how LBS is special to you. Not just in terms of fun and interesting, but how it matches up with your career trajectory, future goals and legacy.

1) Articulate why you need a United Nations style MBA program – how that ties up with your goals. 2) Also good to show how appreciate the flexibility of the program term, how that is going to help you.

Both of these things are unique to LBS (aside from #1 for INSEAD) and if they know you value what makes them unique, they feel they are more likely to “get” you. This increases your chances of an admit.

Hey MBAPrepCoach,

Once again excellent tips, thank you! I have a follow-up. Over a few discussions, I have recently had with LBS alum, it has been pointed out that when describing the story from the point of view of a family business (I come from a family business background), a candidate must be very careful in stating short term and long term goals in essays. It seems that LBS has lately started reporting issues when people radically change their career inclination from what they wrote in essays to when they approach the career services (during their studies at LBS). This is especially the case they have noticed with candidates coming from a family business. I always believed that business schools are accepting of the fact that a candidate could very well change their goals as they progress in the program. My guess is that if at all such a trend is occurring, it could greatly impact the tone of essay analysis and interviews for a candidate from a family business.

Do you hold any merit to this opinion?
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi GMATin, wow, drama and intrigue! I had not heard about this before and thanks for the scoop. This makes me think about CBS J-term where they want to be assured you don't have to scramble for an internship should you be accepted.

Yes, it is normally understood that goals change. But I can see how it would be frustrating for them to deal with bait and switch time and time again, and how this would increase the overall pressure on OCR and career services.

One of the reasons they would accept a family business candidate over someone else is because 1.) they don't have to help you and 2.) you won't burder their employment stats which are factored in to rankings.

I have many clarifying questions. What do you mean by "reporting," what are they actually doing? What are the consequence if you need the help of career services when you stated a family business goal in your essays? Do you have to stand in the corner ? JK.

Also, what you mean by the last line about changing your tone in the essays; how exactly? What do you have in mind?

GMATin wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Hey MBAPrepCoach,

Once again excellent tips, thank you! I have a follow-up. Over a few discussions, I have recently had with LBS alum, it has been pointed out that when describing the story from the point of view of a family business (I come from a family business background), a candidate must be very careful in stating short term and long term goals in essays. It seems that LBS has lately started reporting issues when people radically change their career inclination from what they wrote in essays to when they approach the career services (during their studies at LBS). This is especially the case they have noticed with candidates coming from a family business. I always believed that business schools are accepting of the fact that a candidate could very well change their goals as they progress in the program. My guess is that if at all such a trend is occurring, it could greatly impact the tone of essay analysis and interviews for a candidate from a family business.

Do you hold any merit to this opinion?
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATin one small point - don't go overboard with HBS research because there is no way to leverage it in the application process; they have such a high yield they don't frankly care how interested you are but more focused on how interesting you are to them. For other schools, the school loses out to other programs (esp LBS - to INSEAD and top US schools) and/or alumni research informs the content you include in your application.

GMATin wrote:
Hi Arro44, that sounds great. Such a post could be very impactful. Another thing I was thinking, could we have a reserved post for all past and current blogs of LBS students? I can see there are numerous such posts in the forum but combining all of them into one as a repository for future reference could be great. In case there is one such post that I missed, please do let me know.

Narenn is, of course, a star when it comes to combining all the valuable information a candidate could require on the MBA process. :)

MBAPrepCoach, thank you for your valuable suggestions. While I am already doing most of your suggestions, I always wonder if I am going overboard with alumni connect and research. However, your comments have put me at ease :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Hi all,

I am planning to apply in R1 and currently working on the essays. I have 13 years of experience in the IT & ITES industry in India with over 4 years of International experience in UK. Although LBS has tried to talk me into taking up its Executive MBA program, I have my own reasons for taking up a full-time MBA at this stage of my career, and hopefully will be able to convince that point via the essays. Looking forward to discuss and share thoughts and experiences as the admission cycle moves along.

Regards,
Murty.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nvdmurty I am a bit concerned that they were not encouraging of your application to the full time program. How old are you, if I may ask that? As far as the argument you plan to present in the goals essay, did you discuss that with David Simpson or someone else in person? Just want to make sure you are headed in the right direction;have you considered one year programs like MIT Sloan Fellows? Maybe even Sloan Fellows LBS?

nvdmurty wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning to apply in R1 and currently working on the essays. I have 13 years of experience in the IT & ITES industry in India with over 4 years of International experience in UK. Although LBS has tried to talk me into taking up its Executive MBA program, I have my own reasons for taking up a full-time MBA at this stage of my career, and hopefully will be able to convince that point via the essays. Looking forward to discuss and share thoughts and experiences as the admission cycle moves along.

Regards,
Murty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM