Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [2]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Calling all Oxford SBS MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2021)! [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SBS hopefuls…my 2 cents on the essay question.

What is the unique contribution you would make to SBS? What would make them want you - in order to make the class complete?

A value proposition consists of two items - desirability and exclusivity. Something is more valuable if it is desirable, and also, if it is rare. Uncommon. Unrepeatable. This is your competitive advantage, and it's worthwhile to take time to figure it out.

It would be something related to the unique perspective you offer, acquired through your experiences. What you have done in the community? What is an experience that developed a specific aspect of your leadership and teamwork skills?

So sit with the question for a while. What sets you apart from other people with your profile, in a way that would be useful to your peers at SBS?

What would be a reason to select you out of a highly competitive pool?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Oxford SBS MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2021)! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I am excited to announce that nvdmurty will be the Oxford Said moderator and lead the discussion.

He is applying to Oxford and a few other schools this year. We look forward to seeing new initiatives being taken by him for the prospective Oxford applicants.

Please join me in welcoming the new Oxford Said Class of 2021 moderator! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Some short answer/essay questions included within the application this year. Just to give an indication of the effort involved in submitting an application.

If you choose post MBA plans as Employment

1. 'How does your preferred sector in your preferred location recruit MBA talent and what do they look for in a candidate? Describe the research you have done so far.'
2. 'Reflecting on your answer above, how do you meet these requirements?'
3. 'What do you plan to do between now and starting your MBA to prepare and maximise your chances of success?'
4. 'Should you not be successful in securing your first choice of role, what is your alternative?'

If you choose post MBA plans as Entrepreneurship

There is no word limit specified for the above questions.
1. Describe your business idea including details of your business plan and the steps you have taken so far to develop or launch your business idea
2. How will the MBA help you start, or further develop, your own business?
3. What do you plan to do between now and starting your MBA to prepare and maximise your chances of success?
4. Should you not be successful in developing or launching your own business, what is your alternative?

If you choose post MBA plans as Other (inc. family business)
1. Describe your plan after graduating from the MBA
2. How does the MBA fit in your plans and how will it enhance your short-term direction?
3. How will you develop your career goals before starting your MBA?
4. What research have you already conducted? What further research will you do?
5. How will the MBA help equip you for the future?

If you choose Return to your current employer
1. Describe the role you will be returning to and provide any other pertinent information

Cheers..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Is there any word limit on post-MBA plans essay questions? If no, what would be the desirable word limit that a candidate can maintain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anukdas wrote:
Is there any word limit on post-MBA plans essay questions? If no, what would be the desirable word limit that a candidate can maintain?

No, there are no word limits to the post-MBA plans essays. I would say that 250-500 words is a good limit for these questions. This gives you enough space to answer the questions with detail without writing too much and overwhelming the reader.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks RonaAydin.
Also, Has anyone yet completed the online assessment section introduced this year in SBS application?
As per the SBS official site, there are to be 5 questions- 4 spoken and 1 written. The responses have to given via Kira Talent. I understand that there is growing trend among b-schools introducing video assessments in place of written essays.
I would like to know more about the Kira Talent video assessment tests, how they are framed, how much preparation is required and any other relevant details.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anukdas wrote:
Thanks RonaAydin.
Also, Has anyone yet completed the online assessment section introduced this year in SBS application?
As per the SBS official site, there are to be 5 questions- 4 spoken and 1 written. The responses have to given via Kira Talent. I understand that there is growing trend among b-schools introducing video assessments in place of written essays.
I would like to know more about the Kira Talent video assessment tests, how they are framed, how much preparation is required and any other relevant details.

Since it is still well before the deadline, there might not be that many people who have completed this portion of the application. I wrote a blog post on how best to prepare that might be of interest to you and other prospective applicants:

https://www.orieladmissions.com/single- ... ent-Advice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Data from previous years on Said admissions show that R2 and R3 has better odds than R1. Is it true?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
washubschool wrote:
Data from previous years on Said admissions show that R2 and R3 has better odds than R1. Is it true?

Not sure about this, but if you are completely relying on odds to secure an admit then maybe it makes sense to dig further. However, better to trust the quality of your application more than the odds.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Any idea about the online assessment questions oxford introduced this year?
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
For reference, this is what I have found from their website
Quote:
You will need to complete five questions via our online assessment platform.
To virtually meet you, get a sense of your personality and see how you think on your feet, you will need to complete an online assessment as part of your application:

Two motivation-based questions - all candidates will answer the same questions
Two competency-based questions - these will be randomised
Written response - this will be randomised and light-hearted to show us how you can think on your feet!
The motivation-based questions give you the opportunity to demonstrate your motivations for undertaking an MBA and why the Oxford MBA is the right programme for you.

The competency-based questions let you demonstrate the skills and qualities we look for, such as decision-making, problem-solving, influence, leadership and strong communication skills.

After submitting an application for either the Oxford MBA or Oxford 1+1 MBA you will see a link in your application status portal. This will enable you to register with Kira Talent, our online assessment platform, and complete your assessment. You can complete this any time before the application stage deadline in which you wish to apply.

You will be provided with preparation time and practice sessions before going live with your real responses. The whole online assessment should only take up to 30 minutes for you to complete. All you need is a desktop or laptop computer with a functioning webcam, microphone and internet connection.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nari44 wrote:
Any idea about the online assessment questions oxford introduced this year?

Nari44

Also, see if the following topic is of any help

https://gmatclub.com/forum/compilation- ... 86246.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
All right people. I just now completed my video assessment and pretty sure tanked it. There are 5 questions in total, as already informed by Oxford. The first 2 questions give you a time of 1 min and 30 seconds to record your responses and the next two are of a minute each. The written question asks you to write a response to a random question in about 250-500 words. The time limit for that is 5 minutes.

The questions are deep and thought provoking and you are given a time limit of 45 seconds to prepare a response for each of the video questions. For the written response there is no preparation time.

I have now submitted my application and hopefully the video responses do not have much weightage this time ;).

Edit 1 - Forgot to add that for the written response I managed to write about 90 words in the 5 minute window. The topic was unusual and took me a while to think and write a response. Not sure if it's a very bad thing. If anyone does hit the 250-500 word limit in the 5 minute window, do let us know on this forum.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I have discussed with the director of my company about my intentions to pursue an MBA. They are very supportive of it. I am not keen ask for sponsorship because of the bond. In the application I have stated that I will return to my current employer. Would this put me at a disadvantage?

The question that I have fill in is "Describe the role you will be returning to and provide any other pertinent information".

I have a rough description of my "new" responsibilities after my MBA that I got from my discussions with my company. Is that enough?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Everyone

What format are you referring to for the one page CV that needs to be submitted?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10016 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
cordaxerim wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have discussed with the director of my company about my intentions to pursue an MBA. They are very supportive of it. I am not keen ask for sponsorship because of the bond. In the application I have stated that I will return to my current employer. Would this put me at a disadvantage?

The question that I have fill in is "Describe the role you will be returning to and provide any other pertinent information".

I have a rough description of my "new" responsibilities after my MBA that I got from my discussions with my company. Is that enough?

I could be wrong but as per my understanding, BSchools are generally cautious about the employability of their students after MBA because lower placement rates tend to affect school's ranking badly. So if anyone is returning to his/her employer - which also means his/her post MBA employment is certain - could be a good thing from bschools perspective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
akshita957 wrote:
Hello Everyone

What format are you referring to for the one page CV that needs to be submitted?

You can use this template provided as a guide on the website.

https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/ ... mplate.pdf
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts