GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Jun 2020, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 17:03
PS. We should set up a chat room for the decision announcement day. I’ll be happy to set one up and post the link here.

Posted from my mobile device
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 05:42

Roughly 24 hours left for the decision release. Good luck to all! You can use chat room #3 to stay connected and share decision updates with one another.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat3.php

Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: LBS '22 (WL)
GPA: 3.83
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 07:56
R2 applicants (and any R1 applicants as well!)

How do you answer the question "Tell us about your main interests and activities in your free time. (400 words max)*" on the application? Is this supposed to be an essay format or just bullet points?
Is it acceptable to mention interests like traveling and food?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.25
Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Nov 2019, 08:07
nyc20 wrote:

How do you answer the question "Tell us about your main interests and activities in your free time. (400 words max)*" on the application? Is this supposed to be an essay format or just bullet points?

I suggest you read up some guides online - this topic is covered fairly heavily.

My two cents - use this section to highlight interests and activities that would mark you positively. For example, if you lead a football team, or if you participate in something that pushes you outside of your comfort zone.

Unless your travel and food interests can be covered in a way that highlights notable qualities in yourself - don't mention them. They'll make you look like a basic b****.

Originally posted by roflpotamus on 20 Nov 2019, 08:04.
Last edited by roflpotamus on 20 Nov 2019, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 08:07
This is your opportunity to build up your application and to elaborate on how your interests tie to your goal. It’s 400 word limit.... that does not sound to me like a bullet point list. At the same time you can and should talk about travel if that fits your career goals and strengthens your candidacy and application.

Ideally you would have a measurable result or something to show that your interest is something you feel strongly about or you are better at it than other folks or you’ve gone further, etc.

nyc20 wrote:

B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 14:33
If rejected after the interview, how likely is it that the rejection was due to:

1. the interview
2. whole application package
3. something else

I felt that the interview went well - but I was also under the impression that if one was invited to interview one's package was good and the interview would make or break it.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 16:24
roflpotamus wrote:
If rejected after the interview, how likely is it that the rejection was due to:

1. the interview
2. whole application package
3. something else

I felt that the interview went well - but I was also under the impression that if one was invited to interview one's package was good and the interview would make or break it.

Many said that at this stage it is the interview that matters most. LBS trusts it’s alumni to be the most important part of the final decision.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: LBS '22 (WL)
GPA: 3.83
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 08:45
Is the question "Have you applied to other business schools" vital? Is it better to list a lower ranking, equal or higher ranked school?
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 11:23
One question if I may.

In the application, LBS asks for breakdown of GMAT score. This is followed up with a question whether we feel that the score is representative of our performance. My quant score is 47 which translates to percentile of mere 60%. Given that I passed university math classes with A, first two levels of CFA, etc. I don't feel that the quant score is representative. However, my overall score is 700, which I am comfortable with.

Would you recommend addressing this briefly in the optional essay or let it be? I am not entirely sure how to best handle this - do all admissions officers require balanced quant and verbal score? Thank you in advance.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 15:08
There is one optional essay and you want to use to address the biggest issue you have. If this is the biggest issue then I would address it.

You are a finance professional obviously and it is surprising to have a Q47. I would perhaps bring up your practice scores and address how u representative that score is. Otherwise it kind of makes you look like you are applying with minimal effort. Your optional essay can be very brief and to the point by the way. 2-3 sentences would suffice. You are welcome to write more but you don’t need to really to make it look long.

Good luck!

B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 16:28
My understanding is that a Q47 isn't that bad (percentiles are kinda skewed for the quant section). Though I could be saying that since I scored a Q47 too haha. When I spoke with the admissions during a coffee chat they seemed really ok with my score so I assume your score won't hold you back.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2019, 00:28
Thank you for the insights bb LOM19010

I will briefly address it in the optional essay.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2019, 00:37
LOM19010 wrote:
My understanding is that a Q47 isn't that bad (percentiles are kinda skewed for the quant section). Though I could be saying that since I scored a Q47 too haha. When I spoke with the admissions during a coffee chat they seemed really ok with my score so I assume your score won't hold you back.

I fully agree that Q47 does not disqualify one. As a matter of fact I have see people with Q44 V44 get into M7 programs but they did not have finance background... and I tend to err on the safe side but I can see folks applying with that score and NOT thinking twice about it.

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 12:13
It seems like LBS does not have reapplication essay? How does a candidate indicate improvement in his profile since last application?

Wharton Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 19:38
bb wrote:

I fully agree that Q47 does not disqualify one. As a matter of fact I have see people with Q44 V44 get into M7 programs but they did not have finance background... and I tend to err on the safe side but I can see folks applying with that score and NOT thinking twice about it.

I am from a finance background and got a 47 quant and I don’t think it really held me back in apps. I think the percentages are skewed because math is a universal language, so many internationals rely on higher quant scores to raise their overall scores. I would not explain it in an optional essay. What could you possibly say to explain it? The score is the score, the rest of your application should speak for itself and will show that it is not indicative of your quant ability if that truly is the case.

Just my 2 cents and what I have heard from some admission consultants.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 19:59
xprometheusx wrote:
bb wrote:

I am from a finance background and got a 47 quant and I don’t think it really held me back in apps. I think the percentages are skewed because math is a universal language, so many internationals rely on higher quant scores to raise their overall scores. I would not explain it in an optional essay. What could you possibly say to explain it? The score is the score, the rest of your application should speak for itself and will show that it is not indicative of your quant ability if that truly is the case.

Just my 2 cents and what I have heard from some admission consultants.

I think this is good advice. Also note that LBS asks if youd be willing to retake your exam if the committee asks so just check that as a yes in case.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.04

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 20:35
Hi all,

There is a question on whether a candidate has lived in an English speaking country for past 2 years (to check English proficiency)

Does India qualify as an English speaking nation? If I select "Yes", I could see many Asian countries including India. I guess English is common everywhere so do they mean a country whose native language is English? I am confused
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 01:33
xprometheusx, LOM19010

Thank you for the advice. As bb suggested, I essentially stated in 3sentences that I believe the score is not truly reflective of my skills given my finance background, grades from math courses at university and passing first two levels of CFA.

Regarding the retake, I was hoping to put "No" as I would rather focus on passing the last CFA exam. Then again I guess it could seem that I am too full of myself. Thank you again!
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 01:48
Please note that I am no expert so take it with a pinch of salt.

Pooja20 - on the first page of the application, you are asked whether you applied to LBS programme and if yes when and to what programme. I suppose you could either intertwine the message into the main essay or use the optional essay.

ganesh95 - in the English section you are asked whether English is your native tongue - if yes you can skip the entire English section. If not, I would merely explain the situation in the space given just to be on the safe side - if your education was in English I would definitively mention it.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 02:12
I just looked up and my cousin who got into LBS in R1 with a 680 and Q47, put in that his GMAT was an adequate score for him but that he was retaking it next summer after his service ended... so Q47 is clearly good enough. So I feel my comment was not well-researched :think:

Xin Cho wrote:
xprometheusx, LOM19010

Thank you for the advice. As bb suggested, I essentially stated in 3sentences that I believe the score is not truly reflective of my skills given my finance background, grades from math courses at university and passing first two levels of CFA.

Regarding the retake, I was hoping to put "No" as I would rather focus on passing the last CFA exam. Then again I guess it could seem that I am too full of myself. Thank you again!

Re: Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2020, 02:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17    Next  [ 330 posts ] 

Calling all LBS (London) MBA Applicants: (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Arro44