Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 07:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 650

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:47
Got a 650 (Q-49, V-31) AWA 6.0.
I am not sure how I am gonna explain that to adcom. Indian national stayed abroad most of his life.

Quant:- I thought I was getting screwed most of the way. I got several 3-D questions which I had not prepared for. 1 or 2 easy prob/combinatrix problems.

Verbal :- I am still recovering from this after math. I still do not know what went wrong. Maybe I lost focus. I was hitting bold faced question at 25th question. I knew I aced the CR and the first two RC passages which were kind of small. I think I got hammered post 25th question.

I am not sure I will give it again. Still thinking. But its kind of a major blow to my ambitions. Does anybody know how my WEIRD case of low verbal and HIGH AWA counts in the eyes of the ADCOM? Esp for an Indian national.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:50
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
I am not sure how I am gonna explain that to adcom. Indian national stayed abroad most of his life.

Quant:- I thought I was getting screwed most of the way. I got several 3-D questions which I had not prepared for. 1 or 2 easy prob/combinatrix problems.

Verbal :- I am still recovering from this after math. I still do not know what went wrong. Maybe I lost focus. I was hitting bold faced question at 25th question. I knew I aced the CR and the first two RC passages which were kind of small. I think I got hammered post 25th question.

I am not sure I will give it again. Still thinking. But its kind of a major blow to my ambitions. Does anybody know how my WEIRD case of low verbal and HIGH AWA counts in the eyes of the ADCOM? Esp for an Indian national.

First of all, good first attempt. Your quant score is great. It is great to be able to identify your weakness, which you have done.

When are your deadlines? Also what is the average GMAT for your schools? Consider these in your decision to retake. AWA does not really matter, and a low verbal as an Indian is not uncommon.

Good luck and enjoy your break,
Dawg

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:09
if it makes you any happier, what you just got is my target score on the real thing =)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:18
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

what study guides did you use? MGMAT/OG/powerscore combo? Are you planning to retake or that's it? If retake check out error logs to fix your verbal. I think most indians have high Q and low V and probably 5.0+ AWA so it is not "weird" . it would certainly be weird if you had a V 49 and Q 31 :p

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 993 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:51
What are 3-D questions?
You mean questions related to solid geometry?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 16:14
is there any other kind?

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 18:13
what were your practice tests like? i'd say retake. admissions people are going to be pretty wary of an indian guy big in quant and low in verbal as it kind of feeds the stereotype of indian IT/engineer (I have no idea if you are... if you're an aide to a member of parliament or something it may counteract that).

The good news is that there's a lot of growth area for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 20:30
Jeanette wrote:
what were your practice tests like? i'd say retake. admissions people are going to be pretty wary of an indian guy big in quant and low in verbal as it kind of feeds the stereotype of indian IT/engineer (I have no idea if you are... if you're an aide to a member of parliament or something it may counteract that).

The good news is that there's a lot of growth area for you.

I am a non-IT operations/manufacturing guy with experiences in fortune 50 companies, both my experience and education (UG and PG) come from outside of India. I hope I can use my AWA to explain my low verbal. That I am not really that bad in verbal in my additional essay. Not sure if it has worked though, no harm trying I guess :)

gurpreetsingh wrote:
What are 3-D questions?
You mean questions related to solid geometry?

Yeah these were basically questions comparing pentagons and hexagons, (forgot the details, so please forgive me for that), the 3-d shapes were a combo of normal shapes and abnormal shapes filled with liquid and various positioning. These were DS questions. Freaky, right?

shaselai wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

what study guides did you use? MGMAT/OG/powerscore combo? Are you planning to retake or that's it? If retake check out error logs to fix your verbal. I think most indians have high Q and low V and probably 5.0+ AWA so it is not "weird" . it would certainly be weird if you had a V 49 and Q 31 :p

I borrowed my friends MGMAT Num properties they help a LOT!!
OG#12 only. Notice in OG there are bunch of very tough DS from 100+ to <150+ but after that it gets easier. I suggest you have a strong look at those. Yes OG#12 is a bible, there a lot of techniques which people overlook.
For CR I guess you need several practice questions. You will be able to find a pattern.
For SC it was weird, because I had mastered the OG question types but the exam ones were not reflective of the OG types. There were a lot of questions with dashes instead of commas. So, you need to be aware of the function of a dash over a comma. Although dashes can be used in many more situations, there are situations where the dash is preferred.
For RC, I did not practice very much. This was probably the mistake. I got two small ones easy ones early on. But after my 25th question collapse I got one very long and one of medium length. VERY VERY TOUGH passages on social issues and about a tribe in South america.

study guides: OG#12, MGMAT Num props, MGMAT tests, stayed away from 1000 docs :)
My test scores
MGMAT#1: 660 (Q47, V 34)
GMATPrep#1: 640 (Q49, V 28)
MGMAT#2: 670 (Q49, V 34)
MGMAT#3: 650 (Q49, V 31)
MGMAT#3: 740 (Q50, V 43)---- Untimed just to check my conceptual understanding rather than timing.
MGMAT#3: 760 (Q50, V 44)---- Untimed just to check my conceptual understanding rather than timing.
MGMAT#3: 760 (Q50, V 45)---- Untimed just to check my conceptual understanding rather than timing.

GMATPrep#2: 710 (Q50, V 38) -- Two days before test.

** I gave only GMAT prep1 and 2 with AWA, whereas the rest were without.

I will apply to my target schools and if I get dinged I will write again. I dont agree with the suggestion that you should rewrite and then apply. Why? 1) Application process is very lengthy and you learn a lot from it, such as what careers and what options, whether you really want an MBA etc. GMAT is just a gate to this. There is a lot of self discovery to be done, a lot of questions to be answered. So, applying once will get me some experience of applying under the bag. Also I will really know whether its my GMAT which is the weak link in my application. 2) GMAT you can give anytime, but apps are only once a year, so I think I will be working against the time factor if I were to give again.

All my target schools have 670 as average or median. 80% range as 620-720. I dont want a top 10 MBA, but
I want a schools which addresses my career interests (Supply chain, ops strategy). I am anti-finance post MBA because I will be playing to my weakness. Plus jobs are hard to come by.

vwjetty wrote:
if it makes you any happier, what you just got is my target score on the real thing =)

Dont worry about your score too much, I really want to see the ad com reject people based on score. I heard normally they dont. Especially if you have a lot of experience, and if you are DIFFERENT! So, GMAT is not the only factor. Secondly, You can give GMAT as many times as you want and still get into a top school of your choice. So, dont give up.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
WE 1: Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 21:52
I really think more credit should be given to non native English speakers who can score 30+ in verbal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:51
UPGRAYEDD wrote:
I really think more credit should be given to non native English speakers who can score 30+ in verbal.

Yeah I suppose. A lot of the schools say they ONLY see correlation to first sem performance on the quant portion of the GMAT yet they continue to use the overall score as an indicator. Sad but True.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 07:38
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
UPGRAYEDD wrote:

Yeah I suppose. A lot of the schools say they ONLY see correlation to first sem performance on the quant portion of the GMAT yet they continue to use the overall score as an indicator. Sad but True.

This seems reasonable, but do you have any links to support this?
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:24
UPGRAYEDD wrote:

that would mess up the system considering most internationals are super with Quant

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:17
Where is source that quant > verbal?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 650 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:18
Dawgie wrote:
Where is source that quant > verbal?

well most int. apps are from india and china right? and most international posts here are almost always weak in verbal. since english is second language and out edu sys is sucking math is more "universal"

Re: GMAT 650   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2010, 09:18