Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 01:43
Hi,
I took GMAT yesterday and scored a 700. Can you please help me evaluating my profile?

Please find a brief description of my profile below:

Origin:Indian| Male| 26

GMAT: 700 | Q49 V37

Educational Background:

B.Tech (Engg) in Information Technology
GPA: 8.7 out of 10
I have showed strong academic performance throughout my education with 86% and 87% marks respectively in my 10th and 10+2 too

Work Experience:

I will have total work experience of 4.5 yrs by the time I join any business school next year.

I am currently working with Oracle corporation in the product development division. My work basically focus on to research and innovate new Business Intelligence products which can help Business user to take quick and informed decisions with the help of technology and data analysis.
My role requires me to be very close to the business and I will even like to stretch it to the point that this is the technological role which is closest to the business and I have fair understanding of business domains I work in.
I head a small team of 4 developers in India which works on creating prototypes for the new products.

Before Oracle, I was with ZS Associates which is one of the world's leading consulting firm and enjoys near monopoly in the field of pharma consulting.
I worked on several consulting projects for ZS including merger analysis, market segmentation etc. for top US pharma companies such as Pfizer and Daichii Sankyo, J&J etc.
My work involved using my Business Intelligence skills to enable these projects technologically. I lead a small team of two associates in ZS too. I have a very good understanding of pharma business and data as well as consulting requirements.

Extra curricular activities:

I am involved with a NGO called iVolunteer from past one and a half year and have participated in various joy giving events like such as visiting various old age homes and child care centres to spend time with them and running half marathon for sponsorship events

Among other activities I am a good orator and creative writer and have participated at various levels at school and college

Achievements:
I did a research project on Artificial Intelligence in my last year of college for Defence Research Organization (DRDO) of India and was appreciated by then president Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam

Why MBA?
I have acquired a very niche skill set of technological knowledge as well as business domain knowledge till this point of my career with the balance slightly tilting towards technology. A MBA degree will enable me to shift this balance towards business.
This shift is a necessary condition for me if I want to use my strategic thinking, data analysis skills and innovative qualities for a greater good. I want to get into the driving seat of the decision making process and I believe a MBA degree along with my business intelligence and leadership skills will be a good recipe to achieve my goal.

Questions

1. Will my average score affect my applications? Should I retake GMAT? If I put in one more month I can hope to get about 720 but I don't think I can achieve anything drastically high in just a month

2. Which colleges should I apply? I was targeting ISB for one main reason that it is very easy to get the collateral free education loan for the whole fees.
Financing my education is one of my major concern. I'm not averse to loans but I don't have much idea about the process and how difficult is it for foreign students to secure one.
If know this is not the forum to discuss finance but I will greatly appreciate if you can direct me to someone who can help me in this regard

Please let me know if any additional information is required from my side.
Thanks a lot for your help
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [2] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 02:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1. Will my average score affect my applications? Should I retake GMAT? If I put in one more month I can hope to get about 720 but I don't think I can achieve anything drastically high in just a month

There is an interesting thing about Indians and the GMAT (and maybe I am extrapolating false information), but looking at the last GMAC report, it was interesting to note than Indians are the nationality which retook the GMAT the most times. On the one hand it makes sense, because you are up against stiff competition, but I also think that something cultural must be involved too, the idea that "If I can only get xxx points higher, I will get in). But it doesn't exactly work like that, because the schools look at everything! And beyond a certain point, there are other things that are more important. And we are beyond that certain point. Which leads to to say: congratulations on your excellent GMAT score!!!!!

Now forget about the GMAT, because you have lots and lots and lots and lots of other work to do, not least of which will be researching the schools, redoing your resume, writing your applications and your essays, ensuring your recommendations are the best possible, and getting as many applications as you can before R1 deadlines!!!!!

A lot of work already!

2. Which colleges should I apply? I was targeting ISB for one main reason that it is very easy to get the collateral free education loan for the whole fees.
Financing my education is one of my major concern. I'm not averse to loans but I don't have much idea about the process and how difficult is it for foreign students to secure one. If know this is not the forum to discuss finance but I will greatly appreciate if you can direct me to someone who can help me in this regard.

Finance is complicated, but at the same time easy. It's easy because you can calculate it. Basically the way it works: If you get into a good school, you can get the money to attend. Okay, that is settled. Now question two: is it worth it??? Aha! This is a bigger and more important question, and it depends on many things (and the personal stuff, I leave you to figure out yourself), but from a purely financial perspective it is very easy to figure out. You look at schools you would have a decent shot at (say Tepper), look at the costs, calculate that against your expected postMBA salary and bonus, and voila! You have your answer. I should say that if you desire to live and work int he US, from a pure dollar perspective of course it is worth it, because just changing countries will triple your salary. Anyhow, I will let you do the math yourself. As for other schools: I would suggest looking into US schools ranked somewhere between 10-30. I feel this is about your "Sweet spot" for application. So come up with a short list based on your preferences, and we can help from there

Wish you all the best,

And get started on those essays!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 04:28
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Finance is complicated, but at the same time easy. It's easy because you can calculate it. Basically the way it works: If you get into a good school, you can get the money to attend. Okay, that is settled. Now question two: is it worth it??? Aha! This is a bigger and more important question, and it depends on many things (and the personal stuff, I leave you to figure out yourself), but from a purely financial perspective it is very easy to figure out. You look at schools you would have a decent shot at (say Tepper), look at the costs, calculate that against your expected postMBA salary and bonus, and voila! You have your answer. I should say that if you desire to live and work int he US, from a pure dollar perspective of course it is worth it, because just changing countries will triple your salary. Anyhow, I will let you do the math yourself. As for other schools: I would suggest looking into US schools ranked somewhere between 10-30. I feel this is about your "Sweet spot" for application. So come up with a short list based on your preferences, and we can help from there

Wish you all the best,

And get started on those essays!

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am sorry if my question was not clear but I am totally fine with initial investment as I see the ROI worthy enough.
My only concern is how hard is it to secure a bank loan etc. for foreign students. If you are saying that it can be arranged if I get into a good school then I will take your word for it. I just hope you meant the same. Please confirm :)

Before getting the GMAT score I had Kellogs, Fuqua and INSEAD in my mind. Don't know if I still stand a chance at them. It is easy to calculate the ratio part of the calculation, the difficult part is to calculate which colleges do I stand chances at. Can you please suggest a few colleges in 10-30 range where I stand chance? To me all of them look good in terms of brand name as I perceive them here in India.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It is true that calculating your chances is a more difficult matter. I think that you will have a chance at Kellogg, Fuqua and INSEAD, but they will be challenging (or in "normal" terms, they lie somewhere between stretch and competitive), and my first suggestion to you would be to expand your idea from Top 10 schools to Top 30. That way you still remain with an upper echelon that can most likely help you reach your goals, but you also keep your goals realistic.

As for the bank loan issue, there are many and sundry solutions and although I know the general landscape, you will have more options than you think, but it will depend on your current financial situation, etc. etc. (meaning I am neither a bank nor lender so cannot really make my own evaluation). In the best of case you are guaranteed options to get a loan, in the less good cases, you will have to look into options with less preferable rates (for example, I can't remember the name, but I know that there is an organization or bank in India which offers study loans on the collateral of property). But I wanted to assure you in that from my experience, I have yet to see someone who got into a school and was unable to come up with the funds to attend one way or another (even if you cannot get the most preferable scholarship or co-signer loans). But it is definitely something to think further about.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 682 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 03:42
Haha... Why we Indians value standardized tests so highly is probably due to the CAT(Common Admissions Test) exam which is conducted for the IIMs... Taken every year by more than 100,000 people and there is almost a solid cut-off at the 99th percentile to be eligible for IIM A.. And only the people who are eligible are sent the link to the online application..... So regardless of your profile, if you fall outside the 99th percentile, you do not even get to fill up the application form...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 700 Engineer requesting profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 03:57
Expert's post
Phew.. makes me glad I grew up int he States!...
I doubt I would make the cut...
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com