Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 20:39
Just finished with the Kaplan CAT 3 and got a miserable 37 on the quant section. I opted to not even sit for the verbal section and quite frankly I now feel like crap.

The biggest problem with Kaplan is the wordiness of their quant problems. I found myself reading confusing passages that do not normally appear in OG. Still, how I could go backwards from 40 to 37 is beyond me. Once again, my problem was spending too much time on each question. I felt rushed throughout, particularly towards the end which is never a good thing.

Change of plans - I will buy the MGMAT practice exams instead and practice with those. Does anyone know how accurate the kaplan CATs are compared to the real thing? I would be very worried if 3 weeks out and I'm scoring 37.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
Another update! Less than a week to go guys..

I have kept up the momentum these last 4 weeks and did plenty of MGMAT practice tests. So far the results have been mixed - In quant I scored three 43 scores and two 45 scores. I also managed 34 and 37 on the verbal. I was initially really shocked to see such a small improvement in my quant score but upon gaining some clarification from board members, I think that 45 MGMAT score should translate to 3 points higher in the real test (potentially).

The MGMAT verbal scores baffle me a little. I scored 40 on the GMATPrep almost 2 months ago and have definitely gotten better since then in SC. Anyway I feel pretty confident with my English. In OG 12 I scored near 90% on RC and CR on all the questions and about 75% to 80% on SC (trend was interesting - I scored higher the harder the questions became). The MGMAT must have a really random sample of verbal questions. Anyway either I'm really wide off the mark and will get a nasty surprise on test date or MGMAT is once again setting the benchmark higher to f**k with us. Another explanation could be that I didn't follow the MGMAT verbal study guides at all apart from SC. I have my own ways in dealing with RC and CR (slight variations to Kaplan) and since I did fine on the OG I didn't feel the need to change.

Practiced some AWA essays in the last week and things are coming together ok there also.

I plan on getting through Kaplan advanced verbal in the next 2 or 3 days. Saturday will be a dress rehearsal and I plan on simulating the whole test experience at my office with GMATPrep 2. That leaves me with 2 more days to rehash the theory, look over my notes, and gather my thoughts. The last day will be spent just doing 10 questions of each question type to keep the mind active and focused.

One last push and a strong finish from here! The number 700 has been pounding my head so continuously...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 5

Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 23:20
If you have the opportunity, I would recommend looking into a few of the GMATClub tests. They've been a good help in certain areas (but I wish do they didn't require so much long division).

After 4-5 you kind of get the jist of what the GMATClub tests are like, so I'm not sure if you need to purchase all, but at least try the free quant one out. I was consistently missing 3-4 due to dumb mistakes (not noticing the question specified an integer, or that x was positive, etc.), and it's helped me clean up my process.

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 12:52
Good luck on test day, I've enjoyed reading your progress updates and feel they are really helpful to someone weaker in quant than verbal. Let us know how it goes!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 14:46
Thanks NewSc2 - I did take the free GMATClub test but decided not to buy the full set as I found the explanations inadequate in most instances. Nevertheless they are indeed valuable materials.

I’ll post up my GMATPrep 2 test score tomorrow and of course a full debrief upon completing the test.

Thank you all for the encouragement thus far!
Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 20:22
Took Prep2 test today and got a 670 :evil:

Overall: 44 Quant and 38 Verbal

I mucked up the last quant question (as time was expiring I got nervous) and literally 15 secs after I finished I worked out the correct answer. That's unfortunate but doesn't hide the fact that my progress in quant has been far less ideal than I had hoped. I think a 45 is about where my quant sits at the moment with a 2 point deviation. Had I avoided the silly mistakes on two of the last 4 questions, perhaps the quant score could have been 46.

In terms of verbal, while I can think a lot of negative thoughts (went backwards 2 points on GMATPrep1), truth is I feel a lot more confident today about SC than I did earlier. I still believe that I'm more than capable of pulling a 40+ score on verbal come test day. Optimistic? We'll see.

I need to remain positive and objective... the 670 score only spurs me on as I had planned to ease off a bit with studies and focus on getting the theory and mindset right but will instead ramp up the volume these last few days. I can potentially learn a fair bit from my past mistakes so plan on going through some previous questions which I found challenging.

Please feel free to comment on what you think I should do with 3 days to go.. Logic would suggest that focusing more on quant will help. I did notice that my knowledge on number properties appeared rusty so perhaps revisit the number properties book one more time?

Cheers
Re: Gmat Prep - Hit A Wall!!   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2010, 20:22