Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP! Must go from 600 to 730

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

HELP! Must go from 600 to 730 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 16:35
First I will say I am new to this website and I am excited that I found it. I can't wait to get to know the members here.

I am aiming to have a success story like Hemantsood (570-->760). Here is the deal I recently gave the GMAT on 6/23/2010 I scored a mere 600 (V34 Q: 39) I was devastated I didn't even want to hear the words GMAT ever again let alone retake it! I plan to apply for a PhD in Business (Marketing-Consumer Behavior emphasis). But after extensive research on Marketing PhD programs I found that in order to get into any of the programs I was most interested in I must retake the dreaded GMAT.

So here I am pushing 3 months later (I have not even looked at a GMAT book since then) and I need to retake it. I feel that I am starting over. Here is a little overview of my first attempt: I took a Kaplan course in classroom and I attended every class and paid close attention. However for the first 3 weeks of the 9 week course my online material was not available (apparently system glitch) so I was behind with taking the CATs as well as important study material I was missing although I did eventually catch up I don't feel that it was as effective as it could have been... I must admit I did not put enough time in self study outside of class until about 3 weeks before the test (By then it was too late) So there are a ton of things I feel I could have done differently. I cannot afford to retake the class (they do offer a free retake but within 30 days of the class ending so I am too late.)

So this time I purchased the 8 MGMAT strategy guides and I already have the OG 12. I have exactly 11 weeks before I have to take the test (Duke is one of the schools I am applying to and their deadline is Dec. 8 which is my earliest deadline, so I want to take it by Dec. 1-the PhD coordinator confirmed that it is ok if my official score is not there by the deadline.) I plan to go through one MGMAT strategy book a week (order: Number properties, Word translation, geometry, Equalities inequalities & VICs, Fractions decimals & percents, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and lastly sentence correction). I will take a practice CAT at the end of each week (6 come with the guides, 2 GMATPrep, and some from GMAT Club) in the last three weeks I will review math one week, then verbal the next week, and in the last week I will review strategy. I also plan on using an error log to efficiently target my problem areas.

So my questions are:
1) Is this a good study plan?
2) Is the order I plan to use the MGMAT books in a good order, is that strategy even using them properly?
3) With the period of time I have how many hours should I study per day (I have a very flexible schedule)?
4) Is this goal realistic (600-730 in 11 weeks)?
5) Any suggestions, advice, comments, words of inspiration etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any information you can offer.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: HELP! Must go from 600 to 730 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 10:05
Error logs, Knewton, MGMAT, Veritas, or Kaplan.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: HELP! Must go from 600 to 730 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 11:44
PurposeDriven wrote:
First I will say I am new to this website and I am excited that I found it. I can't wait to get to know the members here.

I am aiming to have a success story like Hemantsood (570-->760). Here is the deal I recently gave the GMAT on 6/23/2010 I scored a mere 600 (V34 Q: 39) I was devastated I didn't even want to hear the words GMAT ever again let alone retake it! I plan to apply for a PhD in Business (Marketing-Consumer Behavior emphasis). But after extensive research on Marketing PhD programs I found that in order to get into any of the programs I was most interested in I must retake the dreaded GMAT.

So here I am pushing 3 months later (I have not even looked at a GMAT book since then) and I need to retake it. I feel that I am starting over. Here is a little overview of my first attempt: I took a Kaplan course in classroom and I attended every class and paid close attention. However for the first 3 weeks of the 9 week course my online material was not available (apparently system glitch) so I was behind with taking the CATs as well as important study material I was missing although I did eventually catch up I don't feel that it was as effective as it could have been... I must admit I did not put enough time in self study outside of class until about 3 weeks before the test (By then it was too late) So there are a ton of things I feel I could have done differently. I cannot afford to retake the class (they do offer a free retake but within 30 days of the class ending so I am too late.)

So this time I purchased the 8 MGMAT strategy guides and I already have the OG 12. I have exactly 11 weeks before I have to take the test (Duke is one of the schools I am applying to and their deadline is Dec. 8 which is my earliest deadline, so I want to take it by Dec. 1-the PhD coordinator confirmed that it is ok if my official score is not there by the deadline.) I plan to go through one MGMAT strategy book a week (order: Number properties, Word translation, geometry, Equalities inequalities & VICs, Fractions decimals & percents, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and lastly sentence correction). I will take a practice CAT at the end of each week (6 come with the guides, 2 GMATPrep, and some from GMAT Club) in the last three weeks I will review math one week, then verbal the next week, and in the last week I will review strategy. I also plan on using an error log to efficiently target my problem areas.

So my questions are:
1) Is this a good study plan?
2) Is the order I plan to use the MGMAT books in a good order, is that strategy even using them properly?
3) With the period of time I have how many hours should I study per day (I have a very flexible schedule)?
4) Is this goal realistic (600-730 in 11 weeks)?
5) Any suggestions, advice, comments, words of inspiration etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any information you can offer.

1. yes
2. depends on your problem areas. i go with weakness first
3. depends but 3-4 is good
4. yes.
5. why do i feel i saw similar thread around ?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: HELP! Must go from 600 to 730 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 14:31
@shaselai - you have seen this before. I posted in another forum. I am new to this website and was not sure exactly where my post would fit so I posted in three forums... Is that bad? I am actually new to forums in general this is my first time participating in one. I am sorry if I did something wrong. Please let me know if I am not supposed to do that so I don't do it again and get embarrassed again. :oops:

Thanks
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: HELP! Must go from 600 to 730 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 16:26
PurposeDriven wrote:
@shaselai - you have seen this before. I posted in another forum. I am new to this website and was not sure exactly where my post would fit so I posted in three forums... Is that bad? I am actually new to forums in general this is my first time participating in one. I am sorry if I did something wrong. Please let me know if I am not supposed to do that so I don't do it again and get embarrassed again. :oops:

Thanks

No worries buddy!

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 336

Kudos [?]: 1361 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: HELP! Must go from 600 to 730 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 17:17
Please refrain from posting in multiple forums. Thank you.
Re: HELP! Must go from 600 to 730   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2010, 17:17