Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

help selecting schools!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

help selecting schools! [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 12:12
Apologies if this is the wrong thread! I just wanted to start looking at the best match between competitive schools that I can realistically attain and decent safety net to ensure enough $$ and acceptance rates.

profile International Central Asian/Former Soviet bloc

ugrad 2.9 from private liberal arts college, accounting and finance

gmat 730 (q 45 v 44) (this is probably for another thread but retake is definitely on the cards. got mildly sick a couple of days before the exam - great timing right? didn't sleep too well the night before, did not practice AWA until the night before, perhaps explaining why i lay staring at my ceiling for 3-4 hours. didn't even prep for IR - i think i finished grand total of 5 questions in a manhattan mock, and 10 minutes skimming manhattan IR guide. i was surprised at the verbal score. was late 3-4 mins for both sections after the breaks, throwing up in the bathroom and trying to brush my teeth so i could chew the sugary snacks)

full-time experience 1 year in non-profit research

age 24

should i target specific ranges in MBA rankings? or should i go more into humanities side (management/entrepreneurship/international etc?) based on my gmat? or is a masters of accounting better bet?

also, how important is the focus on regional schools? for example, i had a full-ride to undergrad, and the college is known for being ridiculously tough compared to similar schools or even mid range public schools. perhaps nearby schools (same state or relationship based on distance) know this reputation and be more forgiving of the low GPA? this is a school in kentucky so i included UK gatton, vanderbilt and purdue in the free reports on GMAT software.

thanks, and sorry for the amount of questions!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: help selecting schools! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 23:29
Hi,

Firstly, you should be clear on your post-MBA goals and need to retrospect that why MBA now. How an MBA will help you to achieve your goals? What have been your achievements at work place? May be Masters could be a better option. Your GMAT is good, so need not to re-take. GPA is not an issue. So, think over it again, get in touch with alumni and current students to get some more insight on MBA or masters. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/b-school-selector.php

Regards
Erina

mavelous wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong thread! I just wanted to start looking at the best match between competitive schools that I can realistically attain and decent safety net to ensure enough $$ and acceptance rates.

profile International Central Asian/Former Soviet bloc

ugrad 2.9 from private liberal arts college, accounting and finance

gmat 730 (q 45 v 44) (this is probably for another thread but retake is definitely on the cards. got mildly sick a couple of days before the exam - great timing right? didn't sleep too well the night before, did not practice AWA until the night before, perhaps explaining why i lay staring at my ceiling for 3-4 hours. didn't even prep for IR - i think i finished grand total of 5 questions in a manhattan mock, and 10 minutes skimming manhattan IR guide. i was surprised at the verbal score. was late 3-4 mins for both sections after the breaks, throwing up in the bathroom and trying to brush my teeth so i could chew the sugary snacks)

full-time experience 1 year in non-profit research

age 24

should i target specific ranges in MBA rankings? or should i go more into humanities side (management/entrepreneurship/international etc?) based on my gmat? or is a masters of accounting better bet?

also, how important is the focus on regional schools? for example, i had a full-ride to undergrad, and the college is known for being ridiculously tough compared to similar schools or even mid range public schools. perhaps nearby schools (same state or relationship based on distance) know this reputation and be more forgiving of the low GPA? this is a school in kentucky so i included UK gatton, vanderbilt and purdue in the free reports on GMAT software.

thanks, and sorry for the amount of questions!

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: help selecting schools! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 06:31
Expert's post
If you are aiming for Top 20, the potential scholarship will mostly depend on how unique you will be perceived and valuable to a particular school/program.

Your GMAT Score is good; GPA is a bit on the lower side but sounds like the scale may be off and you can explain/justify it. Experience sounds interesting but you have not mentioned why you are looking for the MBA and what is the point of it besides just getting an MBA. Top 20 are highly competitive - you need to have your crap together to get through. Sounds like you are pretty smart but you will need to put a ton of time into applications with a clear goal why.... the rest often comes naturally.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: help selecting schools!   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2013, 06:31