Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I need an advice please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

I need an advice please [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 06:59
Hello everyone,

I'm stephane from belgium , I'm writing this post to ask you about a piece of advice that will help me in my applications , since i want to get into H/S/W and we all know that these schools tend to seek people with leadership background (work and extracurricular).

For my case i've got an engineer degree from a top school in europe (3.6 GPA) ,started working as an engineer ,and i can get a 760 GMAT , to be honest i didn't focus much about extraccuricular activities like associations , non-profit , my question is what can i do in 2 years (i'm willing to apply next 2 years) that will enhance my leadership experience (joining non-profit , volunteering ...) ,maybe i should apply for a fellowship within an NGO ? which path can help me achieve good leadership impact that H/S/W need to see in an application ? .

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: I need an advice please [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 08:10
Stephane,

This kind of question seems to pops up all the time about trying to manufacture a profile in advance of getting into b-school.

Rather than repeat myself, I've written something about this:

http://www.mbaapply.com/advice2.htm#forrestgump

In short, you need to build a life, not a resume. Volunteer at non-profits ONLY if you would do it regardless of b-school. Do it because you believe in it, because it'll become apparent that it's just window dressing and resume building. You can't fool anyone, since there will be others who are heavily involved in activities they believe in, and they will have level of commitment and enthusiasm that you simply can't match if your intentions are merely to build a stronger profile. Or here's another way to put it: if you're more focused on trying to manufacture a resume to get into H/S/W more than you are focused on being the most accomplished person you can be in areas of interest that are most meaningful to you -- you won't have a chance of getting in.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: I need an advice please [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 08:27
Thanks for your answer sir , that was exactly what i was looking for !
I need to believe in something before doing it.

I founded a year ago a small non-profit (with 4 members) that gives free consulting about creativity and team-building to some schools and organisations , since i've got 2 years to go i guess this non-profit will be successful if i give it full commitment. i was wondering if it does bring a good leadership experience to the table ?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need an advice please [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 08:33
Expert's post
thetennisball wrote:
Thanks for your answer sir , that was exactly what i was looking for !
I need to believe in something before doing it.

I founded a year ago a small non-profit (with 4 members) that gives free consulting about creativity and team-building to some schools and organisations , since i've got 2 years to go i guess this non-profit will be successful if i give it full commitment. i was wondering if it does bring a good leadership experience to the table ?

Oh, only time will tell that! But if you love it, and you give it your all, I truly believe no bad can come from it. The nice thing about such ventures, is that even FAILING them can give you amazing stories and amazing leadership experience (although it still is better if they succeed :) )

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: I need an advice please   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 08:33