Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:04) correct 23% (01:10) wrong based on 633 sessions
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 07:16
seems new question......... source?

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 07:25
B for me.

E and D don't have the intended meaning so they are wrong. C is not parallel. And A replaces on with for, so using an incorrect idiom. I think B is the best.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 17:51
B too

:-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 19:06
Straight B.
..... much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on .....
and on ....
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 21:57
Good job guys. OA is B indeed.

VC019 gave a nice explanation. It is a ||ism question.
much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on .....
and on construction and decoration of ....

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 22:28
got B too :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 10:48
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy [color=darkblue]was expended on the creation[/color] of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

:yell ~~it has to be B~~~

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined should be construction

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them is this parallel? Obviously not

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them that part doesn't fit
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 15:23
bewakoof wrote:
i m kinda inclined towards E though..

"the creating of Buddha's images accounted for"
vs
"the creation of Buddha's images accounted for"

I guess the first one is not right

I would go with B
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 16:10
Puilunchristin, can you underline your postings? Thanks

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 20:54
andy_gr8 wrote:
bewakoof wrote:
i m kinda inclined towards E though..

"the creating of Buddha's images accounted for"
vs
"the creation of Buddha's images accounted for"

I guess the first one is not right

I would go with B

yes u r right.. b it is..i dont even know wat i was thinking

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2006, 23:04
on the creation.....on.....the....

Straight (B)
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 16:01
B for ||ism and for conveying proper message.

much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 18:48
Can some one explain to me how "they" in B for sure matches to the buddha images... To me that was confusing as to whom they points to.. thats why I thought D might be ok.. even though it is not parallel?

What is OA?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 19:35
Late but joining team 'B"

B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 19:42
willget800 wrote:
Can some one explain to me how "they" in B for sure matches to the buddha images... To me that was confusing as to whom they points to.. thats why I thought D might be ok.. even though it is not parallel?

What is OA?

willget800,

'They' here points to buddha images only. There are two reasons behind this...

1) they were enshrined --> images were enshrined --> makes sense
--> local artisans were enshrined --> Does not sound logical.

2) Further, 'they' can not refer to "local artisans", because it is used to modify "creative energy".....in the form "local artisans’ "

Please correct me in case....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2006, 07:32
Quote:

:yell ~~it has to be B~~~

Correct.

I am also taking B as right option.

Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 13:55
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

The only thing that matters is what you believe.

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 14:07
I say B for ||sm

artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

A and C are not ||
D and E change the meaning
  [#permalink] 13 Jul 2006, 14:07