Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Georgia Tech, Emory, Kelly (Indiana), Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 12:31
Hello everyone,

As you can read from the subject line, I am not your average MBA prospect. I'm 38 years old with 20 years of work experience. Former military (10 years- 5 active 5 reserves). I have accomplished a lot in those 20 years without a degree. I've had the opportunity to manage teams and also have been a department head. I have worked very hard. And I do have a lot of experience. Now, your question probably is: "Why is this guy here?"

Simple, after I left the service I enrolled into an electrical engineering program (evening) and I was working full time. I was single and enjoyed my job and school a whole lot. Three years later I got a job offer paying 3 times what I was earning. I dropped out to follow the money. Do I regret it? Sometimes.

I was hired to create and run a training department for our Latin America Division. I traveled a lot and had great bonuses. The best job I could ask for. The joy lasted 2 years. The company went through 2 mergers in 1 year. It was devastating. The office closed and I was out of a job. The job market was not great in 2002. A year later I got married after getting an offer from a wireless carrier to run their billing department in the Caribbean. Another merger and I was out of a job because the company sold the Caribbean venture to an International company. The last 6 years have not been easy. I have worked as a Business consultant traveling all over and I think it was time to take care of some unfinished business.

Last year I decided to finish my undergrad degree in business. I enrolled in the most criticized school in any forum. The University of Phoenix. I will finish my courses in march. There is hard studying in those courses. Some of you may kick it around, but I'm busting my butt. Normally students take 1 class for 5 weeks. I'm taking 2 classes a month to finish all my coursework. It's tough specially when you are assigned to a team and some of them just sit on their butt during the team assignments and others like me have to carry the load. I don't care I just want to finish. I made that decision because I needed to finish. Speed was a factor. I have to live with my prior decisions and I'm fine with that.

I'm here to learn and I am open to receive advice. I've been around the site and I have read the great success stories and not so great success stories. Some of you may say, "Why go through this Stay in U of Phoenix." I say to those skeptics, it has been done before, I know people that did their undergrad in University of Phoenix, scored a great GMAT and got accepted to top 20 schools. I don't aim that high. I'm looking at schools in Georgia, since that is where my wife's job is taking us. I am looking at FT MBA, Evening MBA and EMBA. My ultimate goal is to become a college professor. Looking back at my career, and after a thorough self-analysis I came to the realization that I love Teaching, training and coaching. Sharing knowledge is something I really enjoy. When you look back at your former subordinates and find out that they are holding management positions and that every now and then they call you for advice. You know you did your job right.

38 yrs old (tomorrow)
3.4 GPA
GMAT in January
Schools I’m interested in: Emory, GA Tech

I hope the GMAT Club can help me in my quest.

<Sanheck steps off soapbox> :-D

Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 15:05
This post received
KUDOS
Good stuff man. the GMAT is gonna take some time. You should see about what the average GMAT score in your schools are looking for. Similarly, I too, am not looking to go to any fancy ivy league schools. In-state is good enough (hint: look at my target schools to the left of this on my profile).

You have a whole deal of experience which should carry very far in terms of getting accepted. Folks like, that are 23, young and in-experienced, needs a higher GMAT score to compensate it.

If anything, I recommend you get Manhattan GMAT series. They're really good. Helped me get from 430 to right into the 600's (hopefully i can pull it off on the 23rd when I take it for real). So they're a good place to start.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 15:12
Thanks for your reply vwjetty,

I mean, I just want to get this done. Thats all. Some of us take different paths to get to where we want to go. The important thing is getting there. I have met a lot of Ivy League and London Business School MBAs, some have been great co-workers others have been not outstanding at their duties. It comes with the territory. People have to look at ROI. You never know the curveballs live will bring.

I have a very good friend BA Georgetown MBA London Business School. Super smart, unemployed. He is lucky he finished paying off his student loans last year, after 15 years of payments.

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 15:27
Very good point.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but a lot of the folks on the forum, well, almost everyone in this forum is aiming at the top 10 business schools like Sloan, Kellogg etc etc. And that's great if you have that kind of intellect and the cash but unlike you, I don't think a lot of them understands the risk they are taking when they are applying and getting accepted.

Education is great. No doubt about that. But I think too much of anything is bad for you. And that doesn't exclude education. Folks like you are rare because you understand the world more closely through experience rather than from a classroom. Mad respect for that man.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the younger folks on here. I'm 23 so I need to be aiming quite high to get into graduate school. And that's just in-state, public, state-sponsored schools. I think most of the schools you are looking for are probably gonna average around the upper 500's average. So if you score there you should be fine. Me, on the other hand, would need to score 50-70 points higher.

Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 15:39
I mean there is nothing wrong with aiming for the Top Schools. If mom and dad or your employer can pay. GREAT. But for guys like me that bus is gone. And if you can get a scholarship, fellowship or any other type of grant that can cover the costs. Good for you.

On the other hand. If you have to loan your way through. Then it can become a headache. Yes you can get a high salary job after being at a top School. Then you have house, car, wife , kids, taxes...etc etc. Plus the loan. Talk about a business class.... "How avoid college debt"

But like everything else in the real world environment if you don't perform you'll be stuck or out. You can have all the brains in the world, but if you don't work well with others or have no common sense, you'll find yourself stuck professionally and start bouncing jobs left and right.

I wish everyone the best. If you can get as little debt as possible. GO for it...If you are going to be in the hole 60K 70K 80K...think about it hard.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 19:08
agreed.

Mommy and daddy are helping me fund for it. And I ain't trying to have my folks take out an equity on the house or reach in their retirement fund or anything like that for me you know. It's common sense. And I have enough common sense to know I ain't that bright for top league.

Instate, public universities for me =)

Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 19:17
Actually Vdubya....

You seem to be brighter than most folks and with your feet well planted on the ground at such an early age. Common sense...that will get you far. There are plenty of great public schools, Hey UVA has a great program.

I wish you lots of success cuz luck is for mediocre types.
:-D

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 19:34
well, i grew up in a not-so-good area of Virginia. robberies, ghettos, homeless so you get the idea. so i had a pretty good concept of reality from a relatively young age. you like biking?

yeah, i'm pretty much into the euro automotive scene. been here since about 9th grade (just about the time when I got my permit) and never left. love tinking with vw/audi's :-)

Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 05:49
If you can convey in an essay what you just wrote above, I think adcoms would love you.

That said, my advice would probably be to take a mock gmat as soon as possible, just to get an idea of what range of scores you're looking into. It'll be a 3 hour chunk out of a weekday evening or saturday morning, but the sooner you get this idea the more you can plan your approach w/ your applications and target schools.

i wish you all the best, thank you for serving our country.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 10

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Happy birthday!

I'm curious, though, if you're interested in teaching- have you considered a PhD program? I know it's a much longer and very different path, but there are a lot of fellowships out there that pay ~$30k a year while you're getting the degree, and it's required to teach as a professor at most schools. MBA + applicable experience can certainly get you a lecturer position some places, but if you think your true desire is teaching at the university level in the long term, I'd take a close look at the more traditional path.

Best of luck to you, wherever you apply!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: GA Tech
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 14:20
This post received
KUDOS
Sanheck,

I am enrolled in the evening program at Ga Tech. Let me know if you have any questions. We are holding an open house for prospects on November 6th as well if you would like to come out and learn more about the program.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 14:41
ntatlmba wrote:
Sanheck,

I am enrolled in the evening program at Ga Tech. Let me know if you have any questions. We are holding an open house for prospects on November 6th as well if you would like to come out and learn more about the program.

its a small world indeed.... :-D :-D

Intern
Intern
Schools: GA Tech
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 17:39
Yep! Glad to see there are other "average, state school" people on this forum.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 17:47
ntatlmba wrote:
Yep! Glad to see there are other "average, state school" people on this forum.

true that

Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 20:34
thisguy310, Sailorette, ntatlmba & vwjetty

Thanks for your messages. My appologies for not replying sooner, but I was with the family celebrating my b-day. :-D

Sailorette, yes I have been looking at some Phd programs. In the Atlanta Area Emory offers a program that you can go straight to it without an MBA. I just feel that If I'm going to teach someone, I want to get my hands dirty, I've had 20 years of that. The Phd is 4 years long and yes, it is something that I am considering. Emory requests a 720 GMAT for Phd admission and they have plenty of fellowships. It is an option.
Thanks for the information.

thisguy 310- I am planning to take my mock test Using the GMAT prep on Monday, Let's see how much carnage is left. ;-) I served proudly. Those were some of the best times of my life. From the middle east to the South Pole. I really enjoyed it.

ntatlmba- Awesome, I will run it by the boss (wife) :-). I can't answer right away cuz I'm not in the area yet. I will have to fly to Atlanta. GATECH has a great program and it is very selective. Top 25 school, congrats on getting there. What is more impressive is their job placement 84% after 3 months of MBA completion only surpassed by Washington U (St Louis) 90.8% & HBS 87.3%. GATECH'S enrollment is lower, but still they seem to have a great placement program. Thanks for the invitation.

vwjetty-Small World Indeed. Thanks for the support. By the way...I love triathlons. :-D

GMAT Tests User
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 18:27
dude you must be pretty intense! I did like a 10K sometime ago and I was a goner by the time that was done. I play a lot of basketball so i thought it was kinda similar. Hindsight is always 20/20 man. Just because you can jump doesn't mean you can run. That's a fact =P

for anyone out there that knows a thing or two about basketball, you would know that Lebron James is gonna put a beat down on kids this season =P

Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2010, 18:27