Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Business Admin.
Schools:Georgia Tech, Emory, Kelly (Indiana), Florida
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Send PM
Re: Introduction. Not your average MBA prospect [#permalink]
Very good point.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but a lot of the folks on the forum, well, almost everyone in this forum is aiming at the top 10 business schools like Sloan, Kellogg etc etc. And that's great if you have that kind of intellect and the cash but unlike you, I don't think a lot of them understands the risk they are taking when they are applying and getting accepted.

Education is great. No doubt about that. But I think too much of anything is bad for you. And that doesn't exclude education. Folks like you are rare because you understand the world more closely through experience rather than from a classroom. Mad respect for that man.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the younger folks on here. I'm 23 so I need to be aiming quite high to get into graduate school. And that's just in-state, public, state-sponsored schools. I think most of the schools you are looking for are probably gonna average around the upper 500's average. So if you score there you should be fine. Me, on the other hand, would need to score 50-70 points higher.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I mean there is nothing wrong with aiming for the Top Schools. If mom and dad or your employer can pay. GREAT. But for guys like me that bus is gone. And if you can get a scholarship, fellowship or any other type of grant that can cover the costs. Good for you.

On the other hand. If you have to loan your way through. Then it can become a headache. Yes you can get a high salary job after being at a top School. Then you have house, car, wife , kids, taxes...etc etc. Plus the loan. Talk about a business class.... "How avoid college debt"

But like everything else in the real world environment if you don't perform you'll be stuck or out. You can have all the brains in the world, but if you don't work well with others or have no common sense, you'll find yourself stuck professionally and start bouncing jobs left and right.

I wish everyone the best. If you can get as little debt as possible. GO for it...If you are going to be in the hole 60K 70K 80K...think about it hard.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
agreed.

Mommy and daddy are helping me fund for it. And I ain't trying to have my folks take out an equity on the house or reach in their retirement fund or anything like that for me you know. It's common sense. And I have enough common sense to know I ain't that bright for top league.

Instate, public universities for me =)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Actually Vdubya....

You seem to be brighter than most folks and with your feet well planted on the ground at such an early age. Common sense...that will get you far. There are plenty of great public schools, Hey UVA has a great program.

I wish you lots of success cuz luck is for mediocre types.
:-D
Retired Moderator
Send PM
well, i grew up in a not-so-good area of Virginia. robberies, ghettos, homeless so you get the idea. so i had a pretty good concept of reality from a relatively young age. you like biking?

yeah, i'm pretty much into the euro automotive scene. been here since about 9th grade (just about the time when I got my permit) and never left. love tinking with vw/audi's :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
If you can convey in an essay what you just wrote above, I think adcoms would love you.

That said, my advice would probably be to take a mock gmat as soon as possible, just to get an idea of what range of scores you're looking into. It'll be a 3 hour chunk out of a weekday evening or saturday morning, but the sooner you get this idea the more you can plan your approach w/ your applications and target schools.

i wish you all the best, thank you for serving our country.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
Kudos
Happy birthday!

I'm curious, though, if you're interested in teaching- have you considered a PhD program? I know it's a much longer and very different path, but there are a lot of fellowships out there that pay ~$30k a year while you're getting the degree, and it's required to teach as a professor at most schools. MBA + applicable experience can certainly get you a lecturer position some places, but if you think your true desire is teaching at the university level in the long term, I'd take a close look at the more traditional path.

Best of luck to you, wherever you apply!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategic Management, Organizational Behavior
Schools:GA Tech
Send PM
Kudos
Sanheck,

I am enrolled in the evening program at Ga Tech. Let me know if you have any questions. We are holding an open house for prospects on November 6th as well if you would like to come out and learn more about the program.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
ntatlmba wrote:
Sanheck,

I am enrolled in the evening program at Ga Tech. Let me know if you have any questions. We are holding an open house for prospects on November 6th as well if you would like to come out and learn more about the program.

its a small world indeed.... :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategic Management, Organizational Behavior
Schools:GA Tech
Send PM
Yep! Glad to see there are other "average, state school" people on this forum.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
ntatlmba wrote:
Yep! Glad to see there are other "average, state school" people on this forum.

true that
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thisguy310, Sailorette, ntatlmba & vwjetty

Thanks for your messages. My appologies for not replying sooner, but I was with the family celebrating my b-day. :-D

Sailorette, yes I have been looking at some Phd programs. In the Atlanta Area Emory offers a program that you can go straight to it without an MBA. I just feel that If I'm going to teach someone, I want to get my hands dirty, I've had 20 years of that. The Phd is 4 years long and yes, it is something that I am considering. Emory requests a 720 GMAT for Phd admission and they have plenty of fellowships. It is an option.
Thanks for the information.

thisguy 310- I am planning to take my mock test Using the GMAT prep on Monday, Let's see how much carnage is left. ;-) I served proudly. Those were some of the best times of my life. From the middle east to the South Pole. I really enjoyed it.

ntatlmba- Awesome, I will run it by the boss (wife) :-). I can't answer right away cuz I'm not in the area yet. I will have to fly to Atlanta. GATECH has a great program and it is very selective. Top 25 school, congrats on getting there. What is more impressive is their job placement 84% after 3 months of MBA completion only surpassed by Washington U (St Louis) 90.8% & HBS 87.3%. GATECH'S enrollment is lower, but still they seem to have a great placement program. Thanks for the invitation.

vwjetty-Small World Indeed. Thanks for the support. By the way...I love triathlons. :-D
Retired Moderator
Send PM
dude you must be pretty intense! I did like a 10K sometime ago and I was a goner by the time that was done. I play a lot of basketball so i thought it was kinda similar. Hindsight is always 20/20 man. Just because you can jump doesn't mean you can run. That's a fact =P

for anyone out there that knows a thing or two about basketball, you would know that Lebron James is gonna put a beat down on kids this season =P
GMAT Club Bot