Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly help !!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 14

Kindly help !! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 08:09
Hello Friends,

This is my first post and I must admit, it's a bit depressing.
I have spent close to one year chasing the GMAT Dream.

I gave the first test on 28th July 2012 and scored 600. Devastated. I had put in 6 months.... But came to conclusion that it needs another try and maybe my preparation was not up to the mark.
I enrolled for MGMAT online course. Took all MGMAT tests. I was scoring consistently well. Infact to boost my confidence I went ahead and took 5 Kaplan tests. I scored 700 and 720 on two Kaplan tests.
I again booked date for 4th Dec 2012. Now If I may tell you when I saw the score on screen, I was horrified.

My Quant has been extremely well in the range of 47 - 50 on all tests and the 2 GMAT's.
But my verbal - I'm shocked to see that I scored 26 in final.

I'm so devastated, I'm not sure how I'm framing this post. I've been a good student all my life.
I have already lost my chance to apply for 2nd round of deadlines, in Jan. I have already spent close to $2500 on all prep materials and courses.
Kindly advice me if e-gmat course will help me improve my verbal or may I go for the Knewton course.
My focus this time will be verbal and only verbal.

There's another problem. I have exhausted all questions from Manhattan, Kaplan, powerscore, GMAT Prep, all official guides.
I'm just planning to start afresh. Kindly help me make a choice between e-gmat for non natives and knewton

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 63

Re: Kindly help !! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 08:25
Based on reviews here, I would choose between GMAT pill or e-gmat. GMAT pill has the entire course or course can be taken in parts only verbal is around 257 (quant + verbal + IR for 357 dollars using Gmat club discount has 50 point improvement guarantee if you have taken the gmat before lifetime membership with free section wise upgrades that get added to your account for free) if you choose e-gmat has a discount at the moment 199 dollars I think which is 65% discount 3 days left (only verbal recently added new IR section) I have no experience with them and have signed up GMAT pill if you want some sample vids I could post them here see if they help you. Check out samples before you pick any course and see they suit your style of studying which is very important.

RC videos
http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... feine.html

CR videos ( this is the old verion the new ones can be accessed from the practice pill platform if you want a preview just create a free login to access them )

http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... customers/

Some SC / quant / IR sample videos here just browse down the link
http://www.youtube.com/user/gmatpill

I'm not sure about the price increases cos these prices I have mentioned might be outdated but pretty close...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 41

Re: Kindly help !! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 09:22
Hi Charu,

Sorry to hear your tale ! Well It all depends on how logically you tackle Verbal. Believe me even in SC, the logic of the sentence makes your life easier as you can eliminate 2-3 choices right away ! Grammar is only a tool whereas logic / meaning is the base on which grammar hangs. e-gmat does quite a FAB job at SC and RC ! enroll e-gmat SC and RC online courses first. Do them in detail and use their new approach in solving each OG13 question ! Believe me in case of SC, analyse why each answer choice is wrong. SC is all about making a correct decision using the assets (answer choices) given to you. Instead of relying on too much grammar or idioms try a logical approach for each OG sentence correction problem and analyse each of the answer choices. Maintain a detailed notes! Consider buying OG SC solutions from e-gmat that deals with detailed solutions of OG verbal review 2 SC problems.

For RC, go with e-gmat again !

For CR, learn about different errors of reasoning from here -> http://www.powerscore.com/crbible/flt_1.cfm . Review the powerscore CR book along with end of chapter problems. Here again process of elimination plays a great role like in SC. For topics like, boldface, evaluate question type and complete the passage types, you can use Manhattan CR 5th edition (I have gone through it and excellent, though i do not really appreciate their note taking strategy, I always only right down conc and main premise that supports the conc in a short notation and there ends my notes. Next i identify if a known error of reasoning is used in the stimulus, that comes only with a lot of practice.

e-gmat SC and RC course only cost you around < 150$
Manhattan CR costs you a mere 22 $

Try these and OG 13 questions with a new approach again. Now go ahead and buy gmatprep question pack 1. Take a set of 40 problems and try answering them in a timed fashion (Unlike OG which you go in a untimed manner). Try more sets of 40 till you reach your target hit rate.

Note: While solving OG, take a set of 10-15 at a stretch in the following manner and do them untimed in the process explained before.

This helps you to deal with all type of difficulty levels(easy, moderate and hard) within a set.

Alternative Resources:

1. Try Veritas Prep SC (2012 edition or new edition). It just rocks! Then go through Thursdays with Ron SC videos
2. Try Veritas Prep RC (20102 or new edition) and then Thursdays with Ron RC videos
3. Try Thursdays with Ron CR videos and yes do revise power score CR before along with the errors of reasoning link I gave you above.
4. OG is mandatory, so follow the process as explained before for it.

* Mail veritas prep asking for new SC and RC books and they might ship it to you. Also you will get 5 full CAT's with any veritas prep book.

Hope this helps.

This is a more cost effective but equally powerful resource collection to boost your verbal score.

* More importantly remember take a much deserved break and then make a fresh start for gmat. Span you prep across 3-4 months but make it a point to study not more 2 hours a day (maye be 3-4 hours on weekends)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 14

Re: Kindly help !! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 11:30
@nelz007 and igloo - Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 63

Re: Kindly help !! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 02:57
Whatever course you pick, make sure you try the samples they offer and see they SUIT your style. If it doesn't, don't pick the course. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly help !! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 06:54
keep going OG's and GMAT PREP! MGMT Exams!@ Keep going and understand each and e very problem
Re: Kindly help !!   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2012, 06:54