Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:48

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M01#26

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 42

CAT Tests
Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 05:41
My answer is E.

1. Not sufficient
1*prime =prime
2*prime = not prime

2. Not sufficient

Same examples from 1 can be applied here.

1*prime =prime
2*prime = not prime

Together it's still not sufficient.
Considering Product of two integers also multiple of prime

1*prime =prime
2*prime = not prime

Answer is E.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 376

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 06:17
Bunuel wrote:
On the GMAT when we are told that a is divisible by b (or which is the same: "a is multiple of b", or "b is a factor of a"), we can say that:
1. a is an integer;
2. b is an integer;

Really!!!!
What if a=1.5 and b=1.5; 'a' is divisible by 'b' but 'a' and 'b' are not integers. Can someone clear my doubt because it's highly unlikely that Bunuel will respond?

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 00:10
E for me

Question: If x is an integer, is x a prime number?

Statement1: x is a multiple of a prime number --> Insufficient
Let's pick x = 2 and 4
If x = 2, 2 is a multiple of 2 (2 x 1), and 2 is a prime number Ans --> Yes
If x = 4, 4 is a multiple of 2 (2 x 2), but 4 is NOT a prime number Ans --> No

Statement2: x is a product of two integers --> Insufficient
Let's pick x =2 and 4 again
2 = 2 x 1 , and 2 is a prime number Ans --> Yes
4 = 4 x 1 , but 4 is NOT a prime number Ans --> No

If we take statement#1&#2 together, the given information is still insufficient to determine whether x is a prime number.
Let's try x = 2, 4 again
2 is a multiple of a prime number and 2 is a product of two integers (2 x 1 = 2) Ans --> Yes (2 is a prime number)
4 is a multiple of a prime number (2) and 4 is a product of two integers (4 x 1 = 4) Ans --> No (4 is NOT a prime number)

"You can do it if you believe you can!" - Napoleon Hill
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 03:33
A....is x a prime number....so according to choice A x is not a prime no and from choice b there can be no conclusion.
so correct choice is A

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 71

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 10:31
mehtakaustubh wrote:
A....is x a prime number....so according to choice A x is not a prime no and from choice b there can be no conclusion.
so correct choice is A

No.
The answer is E. Because based on the S1 you can reach to for example 3, 6, 9, ...
3 is prime but the others are not.
So A is insufficient
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 12:56
seofah wrote:
If x is an integer, is x a prime number?

1. x is a multiple of a prime number
2. x is a product of two integers

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

Statement 1: insufficient
Why?
2 is a prime number.
2 x 1 = 2 (and thus a prime number)
but 2 x 2 = 4 (not a prime number)
Conclusion: insufficient

Statement 2: insufficient
Why?
2 x 1 = 2 (and thus a prime number)
but 2 x 2 = 4 (not a prime number)
Conclusion: insufficient

Statements 1 & 2: insufficient
Why?
Same explanation as above. Even with the two statements together, I didn't notice anything new or special from it that I can form. Thus, the same two explanations from above can be used.

Conclusion: None of the statements are sufficient to solve the mystery!
Answer E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 18:28
Why not C
1. multiple of prime.. ok. 3*2... any thing not sufficient
2. product of 2 integer. 3*1, 4*1 no sufficient.

from both,Hello but see, if product of 2 integer, one of them must be 1.
from a. product of a prime. so samalest prime is 2.
so it may me 2*1. 3*1, 5*1.. hense prime.
so answer should be C.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28795 [0], given: 2849

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 04:47
Expert's post
fluke wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
On the GMAT when we are told that a is divisible by b (or which is the same: "a is multiple of b", or "b is a factor of a"), we can say that:
1. a is an integer;
2. b is an integer;

Really!!!!
What if a=1.5 and b=1.5; 'a' is divisible by 'b' but 'a' and 'b' are not integers. Can someone clear my doubt because it's highly unlikely that Bunuel will respond?

Yes.

Every GMAT divisibility question will tell you in advance that any unknowns represent positive integers, which means that ALL GMAT divisibility questions are limited to positive integers only.

Thus 1.5 is divisible by 1.5 makes no sense as far as GMAT is concerned.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern
Status: Rotterdam Erasmus; McGill Desautels UBC Sauder - Admitted
Schools: ISB, INSEAD, Harvard, Warton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 03:11
Paris92978 wrote:
Can we revisit this one?

Statement (1) says that x is a multiple of a prime number. Well, that immediately tells us that x is not a prime number because we can factor the a multiple. So now choices B, C, and E are eliminated.

Statement (2) says that x is a product of two integers. Well, we could look at the case of 2 * 3 = 6 but more importantly there is the case of 1 * any prime number. With the case of the 1 * prime number, choice D is eliminated.

Answer is A.

Agree with you Paris.. just putting in a bit more inputs..

Case 1: X is a multiple of a prime number
-> A number having any factor other than itself and 1 is not a prime no. For example: 6 (1, 2, 3,6) is not a prime no.
Please note, that "1" is not a prime number, but rather a co-prime no... so don;t confuse yourself by saying that 7 = 1*7 is a possibility in above case.

Option A is sufficient

Case 2: X is a product of two integers
-> Here there can be two type of number:
(i) Prime numbers. Eg. 7 = 1* 7
(ii) Non-prime numbers : 14 = 7 * 2

Not sufficient

Hence, the answer is (a)

-- Because beauty Lies in the Eyes.. So donate those eyes :) :)

KUDOS if like the post ... ;)

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28795 [0], given: 2849

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 03:28
Expert's post
WannabeTitan wrote:
Paris92978 wrote:
Can we revisit this one?

Statement (1) says that x is a multiple of a prime number. Well, that immediately tells us that x is not a prime number because we can factor the a multiple. So now choices B, C, and E are eliminated.

Statement (2) says that x is a product of two integers. Well, we could look at the case of 2 * 3 = 6 but more importantly there is the case of 1 * any prime number. With the case of the 1 * prime number, choice D is eliminated.

Answer is A.

-> A number having any factor other than itself and 1 is not a prime no. For example: 6 (1, 2, 3,6) is not a prime no.
Please note, that "1" is not a prime number, but rather a co-prime no... so don;t confuse yourself by saying that 7 = 1*7 is a possibility in above case.

Option A is sufficient

Not sufficient

Hence, the answer is (a)

The correct answer s E, not A.

If x is an integer, then is x a prime number?

(1) x is a multiple of a prime number --> if x=2 then the answer is Yes, but if x=4 then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

(2) x is a product of two integers --> the same here: if x=1*2=2 then the asnwer is Yes, but if x=1*4=4 then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) The same xample: if x=2 then the asnwer is Yes, but if x=4 then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Status: Rotterdam Erasmus; McGill Desautels UBC Sauder - Admitted
Schools: ISB, INSEAD, Harvard, Warton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 03:53
Bunuel wrote:
WannabeTitan wrote:
Paris92978 wrote:
Can we revisit this one?

Answer is A.

Option A is sufficient

Not sufficient

Hence, the answer is (a)

(1) x is a multiple of a prime number --> if x=2 then the answer is Yes, but if x=4 then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

(2) x is a product of two integers --> the same here: if x=1*2=2 then the asnwer is Yes, but if x=1*4=4 then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) The same xample: if x=2 then the asnwer is Yes, but if x=4 then the answer is NO. Not sufficient.

Bunuel I guess you didn't read the "Please note..." line i mentioned just after the case 1 in my explanation.. In order to emphasize my point that "One" is not a prime number I provide you the following links..

http://primes.utm.edu/notes/faq/one.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number

You will find the common definition of Prime Number as -> "Any number greater than 1 but divisible only by itself and 1 is called a prime number..

-- Because beauty Lies in the Eyes.. So donate those eyes :) :)

KUDOS if like the post ... ;)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28795 [1] , given: 2849

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
WannabeTitan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
WannabeTitan wrote:

Option A is sufficient

Not sufficient

Hence, the answer is (a)

Bunuel I guess you didn't read the "Please note..." line i mentioned just after the case 1 in my explanation.. In order to emphasize my point that "One" is not a prime number I provide you the following links..

http://primes.utm.edu/notes/faq/one.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number

You will find the common definition of Prime Number as -> "Any number greater than 1 but divisible only by itself and 1 is called a prime number..

Thank you for the links. I do know that 1 is not a prime number, but this has nothing to do with the question.

(1) says that "x is a multiple of a prime number". Notice that the least positive multiple of a positive integer is this integer itself. For example, 3 is a multiple of 3. Now, if x=2=prime, then it is a multiple of prime number 2, so in this case we have an YES answer to the question but if x=4 the we have a NO answer to the question. Therefore, the first statement is not sufficient.

(2) says that "x is a product of two integers". If x=2=1*2=prime then the answer is YES, but if x=1*4=4 then the answer is NO. So, this statement is also not sufficient.

When combining, we still could have an YES answer (if for example x=2=prime) as well as a NO answer (if for example x=4). Thus the answer to the question is E.

For more on check number theory chapter of our math book: math-number-theory-88376.html

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 13:08
Statement 1 is clearly trying to get us to think about multiples of a number. Let us remember that a multiple of a number, in this case a prime number, is the product of itself and any integer. Therefore, we can try to prove that this statement is not sufficient by using the following examples:

1x2 = 2 is a prime number.
2x2 = 4 is not a prime number.

Therefore, statement 1 is not sufficient since two examples that satisfy the condition presented by the statement provide two different answers.

Statement 2 is just another way to present statement 1. We could argue that statement 1 is a particular or specific case of statement 2. Therefore statement is even less specific and more general. Therefore, we could use any two integers or even use the same examples we used in the previous statement. Consequently, statement 2 is not sufficient.

Since both statements roughly present the same information, I would say that neither statement nor the combination of them will be sufficient.

E
Intern
Intern
saurav: suman
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 09-02-2014
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M01#26 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 12:31
we can solve this question very easily.
consider few prime numbers 2, 3, ....
statement 1 says x is a multiple of prime numbers= so if we take 2 as no then its multiple are 2,4,6 ,8....
is 3 then 3,6,9,12....
So this this statement doesn't give a concrete ans.
Statement 2 says x is a product of two integers
as we know product of two integers are never prime except the number and 1.
so this statement doesn't give a concrete explanation.
Now on combining statement 1 and statement 2 we do not get any concrete answer so E is the correct ans.
Re: M01#26   [#permalink] 04 May 2014, 12:31

M01#26

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Moderators: WoundedTiger, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap