Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If 5 noble knights are to be seated at a round table, then how many di [#permalink]
Thank you for the explanation VeritasPrepKarishma. I do understand what you're saying but my issue is with the wording of the question: "how many ways can the knights be seated" is not as clear as "what is the # of possible arrangements of the knights relative to each other". I believe that a proper gmat question should be crystal clear so that even a person who has never laid eyes on the exam would know what the question is asking. As OhThatMBA said, "perhaps they're fighting over who faces the king" or over who faces the window or whatever!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: If 5 noble knights are to be seated at a round table, then how many di [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
suesie970 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation VeritasPrepKarishma. I do understand what you're saying but my issue is with the wording of the question: "how many ways can the knights be seated" is not as clear as "what is the # of possible arrangements of the knights relative to each other". I believe that a proper gmat question should be crystal clear so that even a person who has never laid eyes on the exam would know what the question is asking. As OhThatMBA said, "perhaps they're fighting over who faces the king" or over who faces the window or whatever!

Yes suesie970, I absolutely agree. If the questions clearly states "The seats are numbered" or "different arrangements relative to each other", great! If it doesn't, don't worry. An accepted connotation of 'circular arrangement' is 'arrangement relative to each other'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.84
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
If 5 noble knights are to be seated at a round table, then how many different ways can they be seated?

Fix a knight in a spot to arrange the rest. The formula is (5-1)!, or 4!

The correct answer is E.

Why is the answer 4! and not (5!)?

I can't wrap my head around that.

When I see 5 people, 5 empty spots, I automatically think - ok

5x4x3x2x1 = 5!

1st seat can have any of the 5
2nd seat will have one of the remaining 4...etc etc etc.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618671 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
Five noble knights are to be seated at a round table. How many different seating arrangements are possible, given that two seating arrangements are considered different only when the positions of the people are different relative to each other. ?

A. 120
B. 96
C. 60
D. 35
E. 24

• The number of arrangements of \(n\) distinct objects in a row is given by \(n!\).

• The number of arrangements of \(n\) distinct objects in a circle is given by \((n-1)!\).

Why this difference? In a row, if you shift all objects by one position, you get a new arrangement. But in a circle, this shift results in the same relative arrangement. That's why the number of distinct arrangements for a circle is:

• \(\frac{n!}{n} = (n-1)!\).

For 5 knights, that is:

\((5-1)! = 4! = 24\).

Therefore, there are 24 different seating arrangements for the knights.

Answer: E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Paras: Bhawsar
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Five noble knights are to be seated at a round table. How many different seating arrangements are possible, given that two seating arrangements are considered different only when the positions of the people are different relative to each other. ?

For a circular arrangement, the no. of arrangements = (n-1)! = 4! = 24

Hence E
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92893 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts