Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Math: Coordinate Geometry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 07:58
awesome stuff!!
Can't possibly thank you enough
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 08:56
hmmm. this is good work . very helpful .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 09:04
I had a question regarding this:
Q: Find the equation of a line whose x intercept is 5 and y intercept is 2.
Solution: Substituting the values in equation \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1 we'll get \frac{x}{5}+\frac{y}{2}=1 --> 5y+2x-10=0 OR if we want to write the equation in the slope-intercept form: y=-\frac{2}{5}x+2

Is that right? When you say x intercept is 5 then the points are (0,5) right? Same for y intercept is 2..(2,0).
So when you look at the equation in slope intercept form it should be
y = (-5/2)x + 5
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 14:07
echoing 'MateoLibre' - it is indeed a v helpful post. I have a DS Q....(source: GMATPrep CAT)

In the xy plane at what 2 points does the graph of y = (x+a)(x+b) intersect the x axis?

1] a+b = -1
2] the graph intersects the y axis at (0,-6)

ANY help on how to solve this would be much appreciated. thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 16:43
merci beaucoup thesfactor that was a very clear & prompt response! +1 i guess?! (sorry new to the forum :s)

oh btw ur spot on
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: C
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIM-A
WE 1: 4 yrs in finance

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 08:33
i m little confused about steepness of 2 slopes , if we compare them shld i consider their absolutes values??

Im1I with Im2I or just m1, m2

i strongly feel its their absolute values , bcoz it defines their steepness either upward or downward
clarification required

Rahul

Intern
Intern

what does a line intersecting a quadrant mean [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 07:49
Bunuel wrote:
SLOPE AND QUADRANTS:

1. If the slope of a line is negative, the line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, the line intersects quadrant I; if negative, quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin (0,0) OR is parallel to either of axis crosses only two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal it has a slope of 0, is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is x=a, where a is x-intercept.

6. For a line that crosses two points (x_1,y_1) and (x_2,y_2), slope m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}

7. If the slope is 1 the angle formed by the line is 45 degrees.

8. Given a point and slope, equation of a line can be found. The equation of a straight line that passes through a point (x_1, y_1) with a slope m is: y - y_1 = m(x - x_1)

I was going through "GMAT MATH BOOK" for Coordinate Geometry.
Came across a section(SLOPE AND QUADRANTS:) that deals with intersection of lines with Quadrants. This got me confused as it does not match with my concepts that i know of.

According to me (atleast what i followed till now) , when we talk about intersection of a line with Quadrant. I used to think that we are dealing with the quadrant with which the line forms a triangle.(using axes as other two sides)
This does not match with the above mentioned topic.

Can ne one help me with this and a few GMAT problems that deal with this would certainly help.

I just wanted to clear my understanding of certain concepts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 75

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 11:02
Good work. Really helpful.

Q: If the point (x,y) moves such that the sum of its distances from the points (0,2) and (0,-2) is 6, then the point (x,y) lies on :
1. 9x+5y + 45
2. 9x^2 + 5y^2 = 45
3. 9x+ 5y^2 = 45

Can you please answer the above question.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 03:32
Bunnel Your Posts are by far the best.........

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 13:42
Can some one validate the statement below

1. If the slope of a line is negative, the line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, the line intersects quadrant I; if negative, quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

If the point is in the 4th quadrant , x and y will have different sign. But statement 1 contradicts this belief.

If the point is in 1st or 3rd quadrant, x and y will have same sign. But the statement 2 above contradicts this belief.

Can some one help me to understand if im wrong?
Vidhya
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 06:25
[quote="Bunuel"]

SLOPE AND QUADRANTS:

Could someone please explain this further. What do you mean by "intersect" here. Oh and I just saw the same question asked in the previous post

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Math Expert
Followers: 2874

Kudos [?]: 18392 [0], given: 2348

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 07:13
Expert's post
budablasta wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

SLOPE AND QUADRANTS:

Could someone please explain this further. What do you mean by "intersect" here. Oh and I just saw the same question asked in the previous post

Intersects mean passes through, have points in common.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q48 V30

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 14:11
Thank you. This really helped me.

-If you like my post, consider giving KUDOS

Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 13

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 10:59
really great job, Bunuel!!!
i have learnt from this post more than did in school + university !
thank you for help and for your time you spent to create this stuff!
Well done!!!sincerely
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 102

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 01:14
When I have two points in a coordinate system e.g. (2,3) and (6,7) that pass through a line how do I know which number is x1 and which is x2 when calculating slope. Also, the same for the y1 and y2?

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 04:12
Wonderful! Excellent work!

A small remark at "7. If the slope is 1 the angle formed by the line is 45 degrees."
Angle formed by the line with who?
The slope of a line is a real number equal to the tangent of the angle formed by the line with the positive x axis.
For the GMAT, no need to know about tangent (trigonometry), just to understand which angle we are talking about.
If the angle is acute, the slope (tangent of the angle) is positive. If the angle is obtuse, the slope (tangent of the angle) is negative.
There is a one-to-one correspondence between angles and the real numbers representing their so-called tangent values.
So, a line with slope 1 forms an angle of 45 degrees and a line with slope -1 forms an angle of 135 degrees with the positive x axis.
If the angle is 60 degrees, the slope is \sqrt{3}, and -\sqrt{3} if the angle is 120 degrees, etc.

A suggestion: wouldn't be better to define the slope somewhere before the equations? I am sure everybody knows what's the slope of a line, just for the coherence.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 65

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 05:20
HI
I have a basic doubt , which deals with concept
Previously , I have learnt that a line that has rising slope when moving from - ve X to + ve X will have +ve slope.
But I found in the original post of BUNNUEL that a line with - ve slope will always be in 2nd or 4th quadrant. I feel that these two statements are contradictory. We can have a line with + ve slope even if it is in 2nd quadrant. Than how can we come to conclusion that whenever we encounter a slope with - ve sign , thn it must either lie in 2nd or lie in 4 th quadrant. As we can have lines in 1st quadrant with - ve slope also........
VP
VP

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 05:23
in-the-rectangular-coordinate-system-shown-above-does-the-90635.html
If the previous post of mine is true than answer to this question must not be A.

Pls help!!!!!!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3791 [0], given: 148

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 01:17
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
HI
I have a basic doubt , which deals with concept
Previously , I have learnt that a line that has rising slope when moving from - ve X to + ve X will have +ve slope.
But I found in the original post of BUNNUEL that a line with - ve slope will always be in 2nd or 4th quadrant. I feel that these two statements are contradictory. We can have a line with + ve slope even if it is in 2nd quadrant. Than how can we come to conclusion that whenever we encounter a slope with - ve sign , thn it must either lie in 2nd or lie in 4 th quadrant. As we can have lines in 1st quadrant with - ve slope also........

Responding to a pm:

A line with +slope MUST lie in the 1st and 3rd quadrant. It can also lie in either the 2nd or the 4th quadrant or it may not lie in both 2nd and 4th (if it passes through the center). But it must lie in 1st as well as the 3rd quadrant.

A line with -ve slope MUST lie in the 2nd and 4th quadrant. It can also lie in either 1st or 3rd quadrant or it may not lie in both 1st and 3rd (if it passes through the center). But it must lie in 2nd as well as the 4th quadrant.

Draw some lines with +ve/-ve slopes to figure this out.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 02:03
So for a question where it is given that slope is -1/6, Than how can be sure that line intersects 2nd quad, I found this question on GMAT prep......
in-the-rectangular-coordinate-system-shown-above-does-the-90635.html

Archit
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2013, 02:03