Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 11:15
hi!
i am a fresher from chemical engineering and will be joining a chemical company. i am considering the option of doing ms in finance in the nxt yr (1 yr), get into a job thr (suppose us) and then after some work ex get into an mba programme. is this an option worth trying as i am not sure the work ex from the core chemical engineering is going to be counted as relevant work ex by top b schools abroad. is funding available for finance ms (in ms from engineering courses quite a number of my frnds hv received funding).
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 16:45
Going to do my MS in Finance this fall! Yes!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 21:33
Where at VW? PM me so we can talk. Congrats!

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 12:26
I think the biggest question is, what are the job employment prospects between both degrees?

Personally, I am more interested in corporate financial planning and analysis, which requires an accounting/finance background. I already have a CPA with an undergraduate degree in financial economics, but find it difficult to get entry level positions in any big companies. Going for a Masters in Finance will save time and costs compared to the MBA.

Please help!

- JASON LEE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 20:25
An MSF is great for F500 work. Most companies will equate it to an MBA also so you basically kill two birds with one stone. Most of the main MSF programs have strong alumni bases and a lot of F500 recruiting. I absolutely think this would benefit you if this is what you are looking for.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 00:27
Hi,
Im a BTECH fresher and wanted to pursue my career in Finance and Investment.So i want to know that does admission into MSc in Finance needs Work Experience?
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 03:07
Hello everybody,

I am very confused in deciding the college , I am having following Offers with me right now

1- Hong Kong University
2- Chinese University of Hong Kong
3-City University Of Hong Kong
4- Micheal Smurfits -UCD dublin
5- Peking University -HSBC college of Management
5- Audencia Nantes/Mip Milan
6-Barcelona School of management
7- University of Iceland
8- NTNU Norway
9- Aalto university Finland
10- Tampere University Finland

I had applied for Masters in SUpply Chain Management.

My Profile is like: 3 years of work Experience as ERP Analyst in Manufacturing Vertical

Please help me decide which is best among them.

Regards,
Deep
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 11:15
Thanks for the info! I am currently doing a Double Degree with MSc Applied Economics and Finance and MSc Quantitative Finance, how would you say an MBA will add "value" to my future career..? Considering a trainee-program followed by an MBA...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GRE 1: 1580 Q800 V780
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 20:50
The original post is spot-on about these differences. Having experienced a few programs, I can vouch for the more specialized programs taking less time and focusing more on hard (usually quantitative) skills.

That said, I've noticed a splitting of the types of programs. The old mathematical finance/financial engineering/computational finance programs have had some problems. A lot of this was caused by a few schools treating the program as a cash cow and letting in anyone who could pay. I won't point fingers, but there are a few well-known programs that went from first to worst. In general, the best and most successful programs have had some interaction with the business school -- so the hybrid programs and MSF.

The only thing I would correct, though, is the relationship to an MBA. When I've done hiring, we've always preferred a specialized masters to an MBA. Because the MBA focuses more on management and "soft" skills, that is coursework not spent learning say optimization, risk management, or valuing a contract with embedded real options. At trading shops, we tend to be less focused on managing people and more about process control since so much of trading is automated. Because of this, at the places I've worked an MBA after an MSF or MSFE would be perceived as a signal of weakness. On the other hand, I would think that at some firms it would be looked upon favorably.

Know what area of finance you want to go into and then see what people there value.
Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2014, 20:50