Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: MBA vs. MS Finance Compendium [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I think the biggest question is, what are the job employment prospects between both degrees?

Personally, I am more interested in corporate financial planning and analysis, which requires an accounting/finance background. I already have a CPA with an undergraduate degree in financial economics, but find it difficult to get entry level positions in any big companies. Going for a Masters in Finance will save time and costs compared to the MBA.

Please help!

- JASON LEE
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
An MSF is great for F500 work. Most companies will equate it to an MBA also so you basically kill two birds with one stone. Most of the main MSF programs have strong alumni bases and a lot of F500 recruiting. I absolutely think this would benefit you if this is what you are looking for.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Im a BTECH fresher and wanted to pursue my career in Finance and Investment.So i want to know that does admission into MSc in Finance needs Work Experience?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everybody,

I am very confused in deciding the college , I am having following Offers with me right now

1- Hong Kong University
2- Chinese University of Hong Kong
3-City University Of Hong Kong
4- Micheal Smurfits -UCD dublin
5- Peking University -HSBC college of Management
5- Audencia Nantes/Mip Milan
6-Barcelona School of management
7- University of Iceland
8- NTNU Norway
9- Aalto university Finland
10- Tampere University Finland

I had applied for Masters in SUpply Chain Management.

My Profile is like: 3 years of work Experience as ERP Analyst in Manufacturing Vertical

Please help me decide which is best among them.

Regards,
Deep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info! I am currently doing a Double Degree with MSc Applied Economics and Finance and MSc Quantitative Finance, how would you say an MBA will add "value" to my future career..? Considering a trainee-program followed by an MBA...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
GRE 1: Q800 V780
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The original post is spot-on about these differences. Having experienced a few programs, I can vouch for the more specialized programs taking less time and focusing more on hard (usually quantitative) skills.

That said, I've noticed a splitting of the types of programs. The old mathematical finance/financial engineering/computational finance programs have had some problems. A lot of this was caused by a few schools treating the program as a cash cow and letting in anyone who could pay. I won't point fingers, but there are a few well-known programs that went from first to worst. In general, the best and most successful programs have had some interaction with the business school -- so the hybrid programs and MSF.

The only thing I would correct, though, is the relationship to an MBA. When I've done hiring, we've always preferred a specialized masters to an MBA. Because the MBA focuses more on management and "soft" skills, that is coursework not spent learning say optimization, risk management, or valuing a contract with embedded real options. At trading shops, we tend to be less focused on managing people and more about process control since so much of trading is automated. Because of this, at the places I've worked an MBA after an MSF or MSFE would be perceived as a signal of weakness. On the other hand, I would think that at some firms it would be looked upon favorably.

Know what area of finance you want to go into and then see what people there value.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
This is all very nice but is a Masters of Finance the better program for me . . .

You can think of an MBA as having two major components beyond Networking: Academic Skill Acquisition and Personal Development. The Academic Skills portion would include understanding financial products, valuation, forecasting, etc. This can easily be obtained in a quality MS Finance program. On the other hand, MS Finance programs are not intended to develop leadership or management skills. In addition, you will receive little exposure to other disciplines such as Marketing.

The value of these leadership skills is contingent on your career path after finishing the program. If you intend to take a staff position within a financial services firm, your lack of leadership skills will probably not be particularly relevant. If you wish to take a line management position in a manufacuring firm, of course, the lack of these general management skills could be very important.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi. I graduated in the humanities stream two years ago. I took a break for a year and worked at a corporate firm for another year. I am keen on continuing my education. I am contemplating on whether I should go ahead with the Master’s program or if I should gain some more work experience and pursue an MBA. A few words of wisdom would really help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey! I would advise you to go ahead and do your MBA. The pros of having an MBA degree are higher remuneration, better career opportunities, better consolidated business network and a holistic perspective over the business world. You should work for a few more years and then pursue it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Well, if you ask me for my opinion, I would suggest that you do your Master’s degree. An MBA degree covers a lot of cover a lot of case studies and true examples of business issues that students should explore and the traditional way of teaching is followed too. A Master’s program, on the other hand, believes that change is constant. The focus is on constantly developing the teaching methodologies and inculcating a lot of presentations in the syllabus for better learning. It is a fine mix of combined group work and individual learning (One aspect does not get more importance over the other).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, okay. I plan to go abroad and study, preferably the U.S.A. or Australia. Could you suggest good schools which offer a Master’s degree or an MBA, please? That would at least help me in short listing colleges.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM