Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Melbourne VS Hult

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Melbourne VS Hult [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 13:11
Hello everyone, I got accepted at both schools on the topic. I'm Portuguese and I'd like to know which of the schools is best for me.

I started my gmat adventure in order to go and live in australia but the visa regulation there are not very mba friendly, they'l give u a student visa but not a working one afterwards, killing my dreams sort of speaking. Hult appeared because its the only one that I could apply at the present time and they have a really cool campus rotation in sao paulo, san francisco, ny, boston, london, shangai and dubai.

My profile is 29 years with a 640 gmat.

5 years of work with a very unique and wide experience, handling with several company divisions and international branches, since Im a financial analyst in an IMF interventioned bank, working in the team assigned to develop the bank strategy and secure its capital funding.

Undergrad 60% and a Msc in Business of 65%.

Should I accept any of the offers stated above or should I wait and apply in future rounds of other universities?

Thanks in advance.

Allt the best, Nuno
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Melbourne VS Hult [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 20:31
Expert's post
nunoalbarran wrote:
Hello everyone, I got accepted at both schools on the topic. I'm Portuguese and I'd like to know which of the schools is best for me.

I started my gmat adventure in order to go and live in australia but the visa regulation there are not very mba friendly, they'l give u a student visa but not a working one afterwards, killing my dreams sort of speaking. Hult appeared because its the only one that I could apply at the present time and they have a really cool campus rotation in sao paulo, san francisco, ny, boston, london, shangai and dubai.

My profile is 29 years with a 640 gmat.

5 years of work with a very unique and wide experience, handling with several company divisions and international branches, since Im a financial analyst in an IMF interventioned bank, working in the team assigned to develop the bank strategy and secure its capital funding.

Undergrad 60% and a Msc in Business of 65%.

Should I accept any of the offers stated above or should I wait and apply in future rounds of other universities?

Thanks in advance.

Allt the best, Nuno

Nuno,

I don't know enough about these two programs to advise you, and I don't know anything about you or your reasons for pursUing an MBA. What do you want to get out of the MBA? Which one does a better job of helping you to accomplish those goals. Look at career placement, the curriculum, and extra-curricular activities as you attempt to evaluate the schools. Much of the info can be found on the schools' web sites, but go beyond that and talk to recent alumni and current students.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Melbourne VS Hult [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 01:28
Hi Linda,

I'd like to school that could provide me a industry shift to marketing and that could provide me international mobility. Also, I want to be a part of a company which its mission statement is not for-profit, or with a clear sence of social responsibility in their modus operandi.

Both schools are good in their stats, although Melbourne stats are clearly overrated with their migration policies. Most of their students have a permanent residence visa in australia , even though they are international, which almost grants them a job with a great salary. An mba doesn´t grant even a temporary working visa in australia, one needs to be sponsored by a consulting or a mining company in order to work there. I really don't want to work in those industries.

Hult is really good in international mobility, ranked at 8th place in the FT ranking. They have a placement of 80% (after 3 months) of their graduates, with 50% of their graduates changing countries.

The big issue of Hult is their brand recognition in the job market. Their brand only have 10 years old. Although, they have done a really great job so far since they're mba is already ranked 57 world wide on FT and 31 on the economist.

Is there a better school, of your knowledge, for me to apply or do you think hult's lack of brand awareness is not an issue?

Thanks,
Nuno
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Melbourne VS Hult [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 18:47
Expert's post
nunomiguelalbarran wrote:
Hi Linda,

I'd like to school that could provide me a industry shift to marketing and that could provide me international mobility. Also, I want to be a part of a company which its mission statement is not for-profit, or with a clear sence of social responsibility in their modus operandi.

Both schools are good in their stats, although Melbourne stats are clearly overrated with their migration policies. Most of their students have a permanent residence visa in australia , even though they are international, which almost grants them a job with a great salary. An mba doesn´t grant even a temporary working visa in australia, one needs to be sponsored by a consulting or a mining company in order to work there. I really don't want to work in those industries.

Hult is really good in international mobility, ranked at 8th place in the FT ranking. They have a placement of 80% (after 3 months) of their graduates, with 50% of their graduates changing countries.

The big issue of Hult is their brand recognition in the job market. Their brand only have 10 years old. Although, they have done a really great job so far since they're mba is already ranked 57 world wide on FT and 31 on the economist.

Is there a better school, of your knowledge, for me to apply or do you think hult's lack of brand awareness is not an issue?

Thanks,
Nuno

Can you ask for alumni names so you can talk to them about the brand issue at Hult? Did they have a problem finding work? changing jobs?

You may also want to consider programs like Rotman or Ivey in Canada, which I am told has a fairly open immigration policy and healthy economy.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog