Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT CAT difficult question

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

MGMAT CAT difficult question [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 08:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:29) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
This is from an MGMAT CAT exam. Any help in how to arrive at the correct solution is greatly appreciated. I am uncertain as to the steps!

If the sum of the cubes of a and b is 8 and a6 – b6 = 14, what is the value of a3?

1. 7/4
2. 23/6
3. 39/8
4. 6
5. 22/3
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 268
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT CAT difficult question [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 08:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
l02g060 wrote:
This is from an MGMAT CAT exam. Any help in how to arrive at the correct solution is greatly appreciated. I am uncertain as to the steps!

If the sum of the cubes of a and b is 8 and a6 – b6 = 14, what is the value of a3?

1. 7/4
2. 23/6
3. 39/8
4. 6
5. 22/3


a^3 + b^3 = 8
a^6 - b^6 = (a^3 + b^3)(a^3 - b^3) = 14
a^3 - b^3 = 7/4
2a^3 = 39/4
a^3 = 39/8 hence 3 or C.

Whats the OA.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: MGMAT CAT difficult question [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 09:22
bangalorian2000 wrote:
l02g060 wrote:
This is from an MGMAT CAT exam. Any help in how to arrive at the correct solution is greatly appreciated. I am uncertain as to the steps!

If the sum of the cubes of a and b is 8 and a6 – b6 = 14, what is the value of a3?

1. 7/4
2. 23/6
3. 39/8
4. 6
5. 22/3


a^3 + b^3 = 8
a^6 - b^6 = (a^3 + b^3)(a^3 - b^3) = 14
a^3 - b^3 = 7/4
2a^3 = 39/4
a^3 = 39/8 hence 3 or C.

Whats the OA.


Thanks....my computer crashed and I can't retrieve OA, but will let you know when I can. How did you arrive at 2a^3= 39/4...I am temporarily brain dead.

Thanks again!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 20

Re: MGMAT CAT difficult question [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 09:31
2
This post received
KUDOS
I used the same approach:
1. a^3+b^3=8
2. a^6-b^6=14 from which (a^3-b^3)(a^3+b^3)=14 => a^3+b^3= \frac{14}{a^3-b^3}=8(from the first equation) => 14=(a^3-b^3)*8 => a^3-b^3=\frac{14}{8}=\frac{7}{4}
Now combine the two equations:
a^3+b^3=8
a^3-b^3=\frac{7}{4}

The result is:
2a^3=8+\frac{7}{4}=\frac{39}{4}

So, a^3=\frac{\frac{39}{4}}{2}=\frac{39}{8}

Hope that helps! :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: MGMAT CAT difficult question [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 13:22
Igor010 wrote:
I used the same approach:
1. a^3+b^3=8
2. a^6-b^6=14 from which (a^3-b^3)(a^3+b^3)=14 => a^3+b^3= \frac{14}{a^3-b^3}=8(from the first equation) => 14=(a^3-b^3)*8 => a^3-b^3=\frac{14}{8}=\frac{7}{4}
Now combine the two equations:
a^3+b^3=8
a^3-b^3=\frac{7}{4}

The result is:
2a^3=8+\frac{7}{4}=\frac{39}{4}

So, a^3=\frac{\frac{39}{4}}{2}=\frac{39}{8}

Hope that helps! :-D


That helped and I sent you a "kudo".
Re: MGMAT CAT difficult question   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2010, 13:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
MGMAT CAT retake question jmuduke08 1 15 Jan 2013, 18:20
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Prep CAT Verbal More Difficult than MGMAT CAT Verbal?! orid 9 27 Dec 2011, 20:19
Question about MGMAT CATs ant700gmat 2 03 Dec 2009, 06:16
How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? carriedinterest 10 29 Jun 2009, 02:36
MGMAT CAT Questions gonzoswim 0 22 Oct 2007, 18:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MGMAT CAT difficult question

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.