Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT vs Kaplan CAT [#permalink]
i think it's a classroom setting. some companies allow students to take a free test in their promotional events or free day of classes
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
hashemib wrote:
I am taking the GMAT again in 10 days after managing only a 620 the first time a month ago which was a disappointment.

I have taken one MGMAT CAT4 two days ago, in which I scored 730 (V:43 96%, Q:47, 73%) .

Today I went to the Pearson to take the Kaplan CAT 9 under real "test condition" and Scored 680 (Q:50 92%, V:34 69%).

Now can anyone explain how this is possible? Why is there such a big difference between the verbal and quant in each test? especially when the tests are only 2 days apart. I couldn't have improved in quant and then suddenly fall on the verbal section.

From my own experience I believe Kaplan has not made a good job in replicating the Verbal Questions, especially with CR. The questions are ambiguous whereas in the actual GMAT, GMAT Prep and MGMAT there is much less ambiguity.

On the other hand the scoring system seems to be very different between MGMAT and Kaplan.

I have 10 days till my exam and wanted to know your comments on how I should proceed.
Please tell me if you have ever experienced anything similar

In my own opinion MGMAT CAT's Verbal are a much better representative of the actual GMAT. As for quant I believe the difficulty isn't that different between MGMAT and Kaplan, I believe its mostly the scoring system....

Hi Friend,

I want some clarification from you on highlighted text. Do you mean you gave your kaplan practice test at official GMAT testing center?
I approached the GMAT testing center near me in Pune, India few days back and asked the administrator whether he can allow me to take my practice test at his test room to check my performance under real conditions. However he expressed his inability in allowing so.

Regards,

Narenn

I am not sure about other places, but in the UK depending on the type of course you take with Kaplan, it allows you to take from 1 to all 9 Kaplan CAT's under exam conditions at one of the official centres. I took the Kaplan classroom course and could have taken all my 9 CATs at one of the centres.

Originally posted by hashemib on 07 Apr 2013, 16:07.
Last edited by hashemib on 07 Apr 2013, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

Great job on the Quant! All the CAT scoring besides GMATprep/GMATFocus is suspicious at best especially for verbal. I would avoid using non-official verbal questions because as you have noticed they tend to be different than the real ones. Also, there is so much "real" verbal to practice on. If you want to have a scored verbal section than do the GMAT Paper Tests. Yes, they are not adaptive BUT I have found them to be decent predictors of verbal score.

If you want extra RC practice go ahead and work on old GRE passages. They are a great workout. For CR take a look at LSATs (skip parallel reasoning and Parallel flaw questions).

Let me know if you need more advice on this.

Happy Studies,

HG.

Thanks for the advice.
I already have the 9 paper tests but apparently alot of the question are a repetition from either the OG, Verbal, Quant or from additional questions in GMAT Prep. I tried doing a few LSAT CR questions and if anyone is out of Verbal questions from GMAC I would highly recommend to try LSATs for CR instead of non-official questions. Test Prep companies are not just able to replicate the reasoning behind these sort of questions. I would try GRE RC as well to see how it goes and.
GMAT Club Bot