Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 12:24
Hi guys I need some advice,

I took 2 MGMAT CAT exams since the past 2 weeks -

CAT1 - 660 (Q47,V36)
CAT2 - 630 (Q39,V37)

Am I this dumb...how can everybody score in 700's in MGMATCATs. Mt biggest problem both the times was (I am shameful to tell this) I was unable to complete the math section. I am able to complete only up until about the 26'th or 27th questions. The first CAT exam though, I guessed a C for all the remaining 10 questions. For the second CAT though, I ran out of time so badly that I did not even have the chance to guess from 28th question onwards. In other words, I just left all the 10 questions blank.

Please let me know if this is atleast normal to some extent to run out of time on quant questions....?
Secondly, how can I improve my speed?

Please help guys !!!! I am the verge of quitting !!!

Last edited by sdrandom1 on 04 Jul 2009, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 17:07
Quote:
how can everybody score in 700's in MGMATCATs

Everybody?! No, you probably took other people scores from GMAT Prep. Scores above 700 on MGMAT are rare, I've never scored that much and yet took 720 on the real deal.

Before start freaking out and asking yourself were you stupid (and you are certainly not), you have to take GMAT Prep. That is the only way to know your current performance - MGMAT scores mean nothing. The fact that you haven't answered on last 10 or so questions on MGMAT also means nothing. That is perfectly normal, their questions are so insanely difficult and long that average 700+ test taker struggles to even read them under two minutes, not to mention to answer them.

Just don't worry and do GMAT Prep. And yes, don't forget to post your results here.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 06:52
Hi sdrandom,

It seems you need to work on time management. If you're getting the quant problems right, but spending too much time on each problem, you probably need to work on the approach and problem setup. Are you trying to stay in the 2 min per problem time constraints?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 08:12
Considering you guessed on quite a few questions, you scored decently. Just work on your timing and keep practicing.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 12:18
Hey, sdrandom,

Don't worry that much about MGMAT scores...they are really really difficult exams. I Scored 710 twice on GMATPrep and got 720 (Q49 V40) on the real exam but my MGMAT score was in the 670 (Q45 V36)...so you are right on the money if you want to go over 700 in the exam.

Work on time management issue. Sometimes it is more reasonable to give up a battle in the Quant in order to win the war...if you find that you are behind pace and you have one question that is keeping you stuck, give it up...you'll catch up later. I was able to do that in the quant but in the verbal I was 10 seconds short of answering the last question...
Re: MGMAT - My Quant Experience - Please help   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2009, 12:18