Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.63
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 0

My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
I’ve never posted here before but I occasionally consulted the forums for information. I found them helpful and am inspired by the support that everyone shows for each other here to do what I can to help others prepare for their date with the GMAT.

I am a former collegiate and semi-pro runner. I prepared like the GMAT similar to the way I used to prepare for championship races - consistent, devoted, and varied training. My preparation lasted exactly 77 days.

I started with math and used Manhattan's 5 GMAT Math books (4th edition). After completing all 5 books, I took the GMAT diagnostic test from the 12 Edition OG and scored 21 (PS) and 20 (DS).

Then I continually reviewed and practiced math as I worked through Manhattan's 3 GMAT Verbal books (5th Edition CR, 4th Edition SC and RC). After completing them I took the verbal portion of the GMAT Diagnostic test from the 12th Edition OG. I scored 16 (CR), 17 (RC), and 16 (SC). I then purchased GMAT Prep Pack 1.

I spent 1 week reviewing all subject areas. I also read through half of Manhattan's IR/Essay book (5th Edition). Then I took the first of the GMAT Prep practice tests and scored 720 (math 47, verbal 41).

Then I spent 1 more week continuing to review all subject areas and took the second GMAT Prep practice test and scored 720 (math 47, verbal 41).

During my two weeks of dedicated review time I worked through about 300 of the 400 questions available in the GMAT Prep pack (the RC passages were out of order and therefore not particularly useful and I did not do the IR questions). I thought those questions along with the official practice tests were the most valuable part of my practice because they helped me nail down my timing and they are accurate representations of the questions you will face on test day.

Five days after completing the second practice test (today) I took the real GMAT and scored 760 (math 49, verbal 44).

In my preparations I specifically DID NOT take any practice GMAT exams produced by the test prep companies (Kaplan, Manhattan, etc.). From what I've read the questions are not representative of the real exam. Also, since the days when I studied for the SAT I've always thought that the test prep companies purposely make their exams harder than the real thing. I also think that in any series of practice tests they become gradually easier so that you feel like you are improving as you take them. Then on test day when you score higher than you ever scored on practice tests you are happy and think that the prep company tests were useful. I disagree and avoided them.

I also do not think that test day nerves are a factor when you take the exam. If anything, I felt more alert today than I did during the practice exams, and that heightened consciousness probably helped boost my score.

I hope this post is helpful. During my preparations I always wanted to know how I was doing, but I could not find much comprehensive information linking peoples' diagnostic and GMAT Prep Practice tests to their performance on the real thing. I hope others will find my experience useful.

In Sum:
Diagnostic - 21 (PS), 20 (DS), 16 (CR), 17 (RC), 16 (SC)
GMAT Prep 1 - 720
GMAT Prep 2 - 720
GMAT - 760

Best of luck.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 20:20
Holy crap, that's an amazing score. Congratulations on a wonderfully regimented study period, and congratulations on the spectacular result! Good luck with your applications.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 21:44
Hi JLM,

Congratulations. 760 is an awesome score !!

It will be nice if you could tell me what you did in last 1 week that helped you in increasing your score from 720 to 760. I am planning to take the test on 22nd Jan and would like to use the last few days of my prep most efficiently.

I had taken GMAT prep -1 on 3rd Nov and score 710. But then scored 660 in next few mocks of MGMAT that shook my confidence, so rescheduled my test date to 22nd jan (original date was 29th Dec). Hence, I tend to agree with your views on mock tests of other prep companies.

regards,
EB
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.63

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 08:58
Hi EB,

Really I don't think I did anything study-wise that boosted my score 40 points in the last week. All I did was review questions that I answered incorrectly on GMAT Prep Pack 1 and continued reviewing my study notes/Manhattan GMAT books. I think the score jump is probably attributable to an amalgam of other factors, such as:

1) My neighbors were playing loud salsa music when I took the second GMAT Prep practice exam. That distracted me and may have depressed my score somewhat so the 40 point jump may actually be false.
2) My office was closed due to the holidays in the days leading up to the GMAT so I was able to sleep more than usual;
3) Nomatter how hard you try, you can't replicate the high-stakes atmosphere of the GMAT during a practice. Your state of alertness/energy/motivation will be much higher when you take the actual exam;
4) I live on a different continent from my family so the holidays presented zero distraction;
5) Like in the days before I big race, I ate very healthy foods and avoided alcohol.

Really, just like with training for a sporting event, I think that what you do in the final days before the competition cannot help you that much (but can hurt you if you don't sleep, drink, etc.). What matters is the preparation you put in during the weeks and months beforehand.

Don't sweat the CAT exams. If you scored 710 on the GMAT Prep practice exam back in November, you are probably already prepared to do well on the real thing.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 63

Re: My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 21:02
Wonderful story! I really enjoying these stories where you have practiced with official material and nothing else :) Good luck with your applications.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2272

Kudos [?]: 8774 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 22:52
Expert's post
Wow - fantastic result! Congratulations!
P.S. Interesting take on the Tests - I can definitely see how that would help training the verbal ear but also how it could be a challenge to sit through 3.5 hrs at the test center without appropriate practice.

The bottom line is, whatever works for you, and this definitely did the trick for the 99th percentile.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: My GMAT Experience, 12/27 - 760   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2012, 22:52