Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plastic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 373
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Plastic [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 11:39
At an enormous research cost, a leading chemical company has developed a manufacturing process for converting wood fibers into a plastic. According to the company, this new plastic can be used for, among other things, the hulls of small sailboats. But what does the company think sailboat hulls used to be made of? Surely the mania for high technology can scarcely go further than this.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the author’s conclusion?
(A) The plastic produced by the process is considerably lighter, stronger, and more watertight than wood.
(B) The wood used in producing the plastic is itself in increasingly short supply.
(C) The cost of the manufacturing process of the plastic increases the cost of producing a sailboat hull by 10 to 15 percent.
(D) Much of the cost of the research that developed the new process will be written off for tax purposes by the chemical company.
(E) The development of the new plastic is expected to help make the chemical company an important supplier of boat-building materials.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plastic [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 15:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
TomB wrote:
At an enormous research cost, a leading chemical company has developed a manufacturing process for converting wood fibers into a plastic. According to the company, this new plastic can be used for, among other things, the hulls of small sailboats. But what does the company think sailboat hulls used to be made of? Surely the mania for high technology can scarcely go further than this.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the author’s conclusion?

The premise of the author is that the new process is only for the sake of higher technology. There are no other advantages to using this process.
Quote:
(A) The plastic produced by the process is considerably lighter, stronger, and more watertight than wood.

Directly weakens the author's claim that the new process was invented only for the sake of higher technology by showing that there are other benefits from using the newer technology.
Quote:
(B) The wood used in producing the plastic is itself in increasingly short supply.

This puts the new process in jeopardy as well. Since there is nothing mentioned about the new process extending the life of the hull, does not weaken the author's argument.
Quote:
(C) The cost of the manufacturing process of the plastic increases the cost of producing a sailboat hull by 10 to 15 percent.

Irrelevant.
Quote:
(D) Much of the cost of the research that developed the new process will be written off for tax purposes by the chemical company.

Irrelevant

Quote:
(E) The development of the new plastic is expected to help make the chemical company an important supplier of boat-building materials.

The author mentions that this is only one of the many uses of the process. Also, we don't know the current status of the company in the boat-building material production arena. Cannot be inferred.

Quote:
OA is A. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with option E.


Please don't include the OA in your question. The goal of most users is to challenge themselves too. By providing the answer in the question, you are eliminating the incentive for them to attempt your question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Appearing for GMAT
Joined: 23 May 2011
Posts: 134
Location: United States (NJ)
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plastic [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 16:07
Thanks anandsebastin for great explaintion
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Re: Plastic   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2011, 16:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Researchers are studying plastics that dissolve execnitinsharma 0 05 Sep 2014, 03:20
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Plastic beverage containers manufactured from GMATPill 12 18 Sep 2013, 12:48
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Researchers are studying plastics that dissolve at different btg9788 3 20 May 2013, 20:35
Researchers are studying plastics that dissolve at different anandsebastin 15 17 Oct 2006, 07:03
Researchers are studying plastics that dissolve at different gayathri 7 14 Jan 2005, 18:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Plastic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.