Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate candidly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate candidly [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2005, 11:08
Hi Scott & Omari,

I would appreciate if you could evaluate my profile. I am only applying to part-time programs at NYU and Chicago.

Profile:
Male, 30 yrs. Married.

GMAT:
660 (Q49, V31), AWA= 5.0

Academics
BSEE (Cum Laude) - (top 15 Eng. school) - GPA:3.66/ 4.0
MSEE - same school as BSEE - GPA: 3.56/ 4.0

Work Experience:
5 yrs with a major telecommunications vendor
Have Leadership Industry positions in Organizations - like representing my company in meetings.

Short Term Goal: Senior Management Business Development position
Long Term Goal: Open a Telecom Consultancy Firm

Awards:
US PATENT - Filed but not yet awarded (it takes a long time)
European Award on telecom Contribution - certificate
Several Scholarships from undergraduate school
High School debate champion - received two 3rd positions and one 2nd position.

Activities:
Member of a company program to mentor high-school students
Member of a Running Club
Community involvement in scheduling activities

My main concern is my verbal score V31 (62%) and few extra-curricular activities. Can you please candidly evaluate me for NYU and Chicago.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 10:43
Expert's post
Yes, I would say that your verbal score and your low level of community involvement may be a bit of a challenge. But, they're definitely not deal breakers.

A few thoughts:

1) Are you done with the GMAT for sure? Or are you asking if you should take it again? Depending on when you were planning on applying, you should have enough time to try it again. It may be worth a shot, although I don't think that your GMAT score will certainly keep you out.

2) Given your extracurricular resume, I think that your leadership experience at work will matter a lot. You mentioned that you've represented your company in organizations... But have you led workgroups or led a significant project within your company? That could help a lot in terms of demonstrating leadership potential/experience.

3) If you're looking at those two programs, how about also considering Kellogg and Wharton for a part-time MBA?

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 22:18
Scott,
Thank you for your comments. My responses below to your questions.

1) Are you done with the GMAT for sure? Or are you asking if you should take it again? Depending on when you were planning on applying, you should have enough time to try it again. It may be worth a shot, although I don't think that your GMAT score will certainly keep you out.

Yes. I have already applied to NYU's part-time program because I want to give it a try. I decided to spent more time on my essays rather than work on the verbal section - I hope this pays off. 660 on the GMAT was my 2nd attempt, on my 1st attempt I scored a whopping 480 - had a bad day!

2) Given your extracurricular resume, I think that your leadership experience at work will matter a lot. You mentioned that you've represented your company in organizations... But have you led workgroups or led a significant project within your company? That could help a lot in terms of demonstrating leadership potential/experience.

Yes, representing my company and leading projects globally is part of my job responsibilities - as a matter of fact I am writing to you from Tokyo's Narita airport on my way to China to represent my company. I've led a project in Europe that has earned me international recognition. I am also the Chairman of a group within an international UN organization that is studying an advance wireless technology - this is a global industry leadership position - I hope the admissions committee realize this.

3) If you're looking at those two programs, how about also considering Kellogg and Wharton for a part-time MBA?

Does Wharton offer a part-time MBA, I thought they only have full-time and Exec. MBA. Regarding Kellog, I'd love too but Kellog admits local residents (in and around Chicago, Ohio etc) to its part-time program.

BTW, I've read a Forbes article that states TUCK is planning to start a part-time MBA program either in Boston or NYU. Do you know anything about this?

I'd really appreciate your feedback.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 19:58
Expert's post
Yup, Kellogg does look for local people, but that's because people in their part-time program have full-time jobs, and the expectation is that they'll keep working (in their same jobs) while in school. Do you plan on staying in your same job while getting your MBA?

I don't know anything about Tuck's part-time program. And ignore my comment about Wharton... I was thinking of their executive education program! I did see this article recently... I don't know if this is where you pulled some facts from: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9006844/.

One other thought... You said, "this is a global industry leadership position - I hope the admissions committee realize this."

It's YOUR job to make sure that they realize this. Odds are that they will have never had heard of this group. When it comes to things like this, you need to make sure that you help them see why these things (and why YOUR participation in them) are significant!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2005, 02:00
Scott,
Yes, I do plan to continue my job during my part-time MBA. Regarding Kellog, I believe the school can attract more talent if they start to offer classes over the weekend. That is what Chicago and NYU does.

I've read the same article that you've posted. As a matter of fact, I have emailed TUCK about the article in order to solicit their plans for the part-time program.

Regarding my experience, I've used the optional essay to highlight my leadership role within my job. For e.g. I've stated that "I am the Chair of a group in ....... The decisions that I make will have global impact and will set the future path for the wireless tech." etc
Do you think the above sentence conveys the fact that I have a strong leadership position?

Alternatively, could you please evaluate me for Harvard and MIT (full-time).
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2005, 11:00
Expert's post
Yes, that sentence helps make clear that you're in a leadership position, but that's not enough. You also have to show what you've done. Just sayng that you've made some decisions won't impress the adcomm. Go into a little more detail about what you have done, what decisions you have made, what the results were, what challenegs you faced along the way, etc.

My comments for HBS and MIT are the same as before... Emphasize leadership, leadership, leadership!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews