Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PMP Certification Useful?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:26
Of course, people look for consulting, if you didn't do that they would've been chaos, right?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:29
I think you should the best training provider for your certification my friend, trust me on this one.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Management Consultant

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 18:19
I have a PMP... However, just like a college degree or even an MBA it doesn't separate the high performers from those who just got by. I have seen PMP's who were great leaders and managers, I have seen PMP's who could not manage their way out of an elevator... and I have seen great leaders and managers without PMP certifications.

Having a PMP certification does not prove you are a good manager or a bad manager... it proves that you understand the concepts of effective project management (not necessarily that you can execute).

However, the PMI concepts are very valuable. They give you insight into things that you may never think about when you run "projects." Ensuring communication within the team and to stakeholders external to the team, managing and tracking risks, ensuring that everyone understands the scope of the project, developing and managing schedules and budgets, etc.

PMI concepts are not recipes or step by step guides. They provide you with concepts to think about and take into account when you do work. Be careful with people who run "PMP" like it's "gospel" or that you have to do an MS Project Schedule... that is NOT what PMI says to do.

Also make sure to remember, as much as you plan... life will never goes as plan, so remember to revisit and revise your plan often... and that you can't plan for everything (something many PMP's don't understand or believe in)
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Management Consultant

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 18:27
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Has anyone found this certification useful pre or post MBA? In consulting, the industry I am currently in, I know people look for it. I am interested if anyone knows of it outside that consulting.

Thanks.

What industry are you in? Project Management actually stemmed from construction.

(in simple terms) Projects are any endeavor that has a defined scope (end goal) that you have to manage. Many things can be "projects" but the ones that are larger, complex, involve more people, dependencies, etc are helped the most with project management principles.

From simple things like planning a picnic, to more complex things like developing a magazine issue, developing software, building a bridge.

From a career perspective, having a PMP may get you a higher salary or qualify you for a position. (I don't always agree that should be the case ... see earlier post)... but that's the way the market treats it.

I'm not sure how MBA admissions committees view it though. I hope positively since I have one! :-D
Re: PMP Certification Useful?   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2010, 18:27