Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 17:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:04) wrong based on 2 sessions
Hi,

it has been 8 months that Im studying for gmat. I think that my plan for studying wasnt good and also didnt buy the good books...so i wasted 8 months of my time...anyway..

I bought Power Score books (for CR and SC) and I also bought the Manhatten book for the RC.

I realized that the CR book contains a chapter for each type of questions.
1) Must be true questions
2) Main point questions
3) weaken questions
4) cause and effect reasoning
5) strengthen and assumption question
6)Resolve the paradox questions
7) method of reasoning and flaw in the reasoning questions
8) parallel reasoning questions
9) numbers and percentages
10) evaluate the argument questions,

I'm wondering if it really worths studying all the chapters. From my studying for gmat, I realized that the more frequent asked questions are number 1, 2 , 3 and 5...I'm planning to study and focus on only these chapters...

what do you think? I dont want to spend too much time and effort on things have minor importance....as I have many materials to cover and dont wanna get bored or lazy after a couple of weeks.

what do you think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 21

Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 21:10
This post received
KUDOS
I have seen PowerScore CR Bible & it's really 'Bible'. It's very long. If you are good in CR then you don't need to read so much.

I referred Manhattan CR. It has hardly 70 pages to read but amazing strategy. It works for me like a magic. You can complete reading Manhattan CR & solving the questions of OG in 4-5 days easily.

About your strategy -
I would not recommend to estimate & stress on 'which questions might appear in exam'. You never know what's destiny holding for you. :D
Rather, figure out which questions you are weak, & spend more time on them.

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8208 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 18:41
Expert's post
This is a tough question. I don't know if anyone has approached it this way.

If want to save the most time, I would recommend that you return all 3 books and get PowerScore Verbal Bible instead - it has all 3 sections but in a condensed format.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8208 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 21:20
Expert's post
alpeshvc wrote:
I have seen PowerScore CR Bible & it's really 'Bible'. It's very long. If you are good in CR then you don't need to read so much.

I referred Manhattan CR. It has hardly 70 pages to read but amazing strategy. It works for me like a magic. You can complete reading Manhattan CR & solving the questions of OG in 4-5 days easily.

About your strategy -
I would not recommend to estimate & stress on 'which questions might appear in exam'. You never know what's destiny holding for you. :D

This is a better approach.

Also, don't spend more than 3-4 months preparing for the GMAT. After month 4, you start forgetting what you covered in month 1. :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 06:05
bb wrote:
This is a tough question. I don't know if anyone has approached it this way.

If want to save the most time, I would recommend that you return all 3 books and get PowerScore Verbal Bible instead - it has all 3 sections but in a condensed format.

It's too late now to return the book....the reason I bought 3 different book is that I already studyed the OG and Kaplan, however, my level didnt improve that much...that's why I decided to buy a book that covers each sestion, so I can learn more
Manager
Manager

Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 06:10
alpeshvc wrote:

About your strategy -

the problem is I'm not good in CR and in the verbal sestion in general.

The reason I bought the powerscore book is because it's the most recommended book in the forum, as I read in different topics
Manager
Manager

Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 06:23
bb wrote:
alpeshvc wrote:

About your strategy -

This is a better approach.

Also, don't spend more than 3-4 months preparing for the GMAT. After month 4, you start forgetting what you covered in month 1. :wink:

well, I'm thinking now if I go over the books quickly to have an overview of each one and then start doing pratice exams. Let's say an exam each saturday and then I spend the rest of the week working on my mistakes...I know that I have the fundamental of each sections, but I fell never confident

If I schedule the gmat exam end of september, that gives me the time to do around 6 practice exams.

The reason why it's taking me that long is my English
englsih-in-my-third-language-81606.html

thanks for your help guys!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 14:28
good luck. I would recommend going through powerscore cr. Even though there are ~280 pages or something, the content is pretty interesting and will get you involved. I think completing the first 5 chapters certainly helps if you are short on time.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 23:12
Well, I have also gone through the Powerscore CR bible. I read about initial 70-80 pages and got an idea of the approach of CR. So, I didn't read it further.

If you understand the approach, then you can move on to practice the questions and see if you are able to target different kind of CRs. If it works for you, then there is no need to read entire book.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Re: PowerScore - Critical Reasoning Bibile   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2009, 23:12