Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Problems with Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Problems with Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 00:54
Hey Everyone. I am having trouble with Data Solving and Data Sufficiency problem.
1. I take too much time.
2. Accuracy rate is low.

Please suggest some measures so I can work on it

Regards
Vadehra

AMAT VICTORIA CURAM
Victory loves Prepration.

+1 kudos if you think I have helped you.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Problems with Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 05:46
DS questions are mostly to find a value or yes/no type. Be clear with what is being asked, if its find a value then we should get only one particular value there cannot be more than one, if its yes/no - it should be either one and not both. You shouldn't start solving the problem with all the information in the question and the statements. Try rephrasing the question first. It is more important to know what is asked and what is needed to solve. Be clear with what you are supposed to find, write it down on the scratch pad. Go through the statements one by one and rephrase them as well then try to solve. Follow the A D, B C E order. While solving problems make flash cards for shortcuts like if x^2 < x then 0 < x < 1. For percentage increase/decrease you need both the original and the increased value. Is x < y - we need to know the signs of both variables. For absolute value problems you have to split up the eqns. So the statements should have something related to this. You will learn a lot of these shortcuts when you review a lot. So try to follow the AD BCE approach and review a lot to learn more shortcuts. If you have MGMAT strategy guides, check the strategy for DS it will be enough to get a basic understanding of how to approach DS problems. Hope this helps !!

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Problems with Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 05:50
The problems you describe are very common for DS, that's why DS problems are set up that way :)

First, are you brushed up on general math skills? Good quant problem solving skills are necessary to be able to look at a problem and know/figure out what the first step is.

Second, have you read the strategy on DS (see strategy link in my sig and also this gmat-math-book-87417.html)? When you're dealing with DS problems that are roughly ~650 level score and below, you can use the DS strategy fairly effectively. Once you get into more difficult problems, it becomes less useful.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Problems with Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2012, 05:50