Kudos on demonstrating leadership capabilities through extracurricular activities!
It is good that you are preparing early. There are many things you can do right now to help improve your chances of getting into a top school, starting with the GMAT. I would recommend studying and taking the GMAT to get that out of the way first.
Meanwhile, take on leadership opportunities at work, start thinking about who you may want to ask to write your recommendation letter, and get really clear about what your post MBA career goal and your long-term career vision, and how you think an MBA will help you get there. Research the schools to narrow down 4-6 schools to apply to.
Are you quitting your current job to switch to work your father's company? Title does not matter as much as what you would actually be able to accomplish within the new role.
I would be happy to speak to you further to provide you with more specific feedback if you are interested. Please feel free to email me your resume, and we can set up a time to talk. firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!
I'd appreciate it if you could provide some application tips...I am going to apply for Round 1 next year.
1) Female, 3 yrs in top Engine Manufacturing Company based in Midwest. In Financial Rotational Program, have been to Accounting, Plant Manufacturing Costing, high level reporting and analysis, and Engineering Finance a total of 4 functions with each half an year. Going to apply next Year for first round.
2) 680-710, going to target 750+ before first round next year
3) College info: IUB Kelley Bschool, 3.84, Finance 3.93, Accounting 3.79. In addition, another college degree slightly before this one in China, 3.3 in sociology major. Graduated from Kelley in 2011. Only Undergradute degree.
Co-Founder and Co-President, Chinese Business Association at Kelley School of Business. Now with 300+ members. Received "2011 IU Student Org honorable Mention" Award. Now I am sitting as Alum Committee Chair at this club.
Founder and President, Chidren's Mentor Network (post university club). A club targeting children living in poverty are in china. Raised funding to help them get back to schools, and set up one-on-one mentoring service for 30 children (selected). Volunteering to teach them classes during Christmas. Advocated this program through local TV Station and newspapers and secured a few corporations for funding.
Event Co-Leader, Women's Affinity Club (in my current company). Will be holding several mentoring events next year.
Will-be Vice President of whatever title soon. At my father's company (200+ employee medical appliance manufacturing corp). I am looking forward to seeking for business in North America for this company.
5) CPA all exams passed. CFA Level 1, might take level 2 next year
6) MBA Goal: Top 10
7) Career Goal: Entreprenuership or VC
8）Others: 2nd place in women's basketable 3v3 game in 2008 in a Chinese University campus tournament
member in golf club
play a few other sports, not outstanding tho
Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
http://marveladmissions.com/ | Marvel Admissions Blog