Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 3.64
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 07:58
Hi Stratus Prep

I would really appreciate if you could evaluate my profile and let me know if my Schools of choice for EMBA match with my profile? Should I be thinking about adding more Tier 1 schools to my list?

Wharton
Columbia
Darden
Cornell
Stern

GPA: 3.6/4.0 (Bachelor of Engineering from a reputed school in India)
Work Experience: 16 years

8 years in India, out of which 2 years in my family owned business (non IT related), 2 years as an entrepreneur of a software company and 4 years in an IT company

Working since last 8 years in US. Moved ranks from PM to Engagement Manager and currently working as Director of Software Development overseeing $2 million budget and managing a team of 25 resources

Volunteer work:
-Volunteered to feed the hungry in a temple in India for 5 years
-Currently volunteering to fix computers for the residents of my community
-Worked on a tax collection project for United Way, Philadelphia. Goal of the project was to allow the low income people to file taxes for free. Developed the software and installed at their sites

Planning to give GMAT in later this year
100% Company sponsorship
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 05:45
Expert's post
Hi schokhany,

Thanks for writing in with your profile. You have a good amount of work experience for getting an executive MBA, though it is really important to emphasize the number of people you supervise and to demonstrate very significant management experience to be successful at an eMBA program. I think you probably have this experience but be sure to emphasize it throughout your application.

It looks like you have some great volunteer experience, but do you have any leadership roles in your community work? If you can lead a volunteer project or manage other volunteers, that will strengthen your application; otherwise, this should not be a major focus.

Given your cross-cultural work experience in a variety of different types of firms, from family-owned to entrepreneurial ventures, I would be sure to emphasize the diversity of your experience in your applications.

Make sure you are very clear about what you want to get out of the eMBA. Even though you are getting company sponsorship, the eMBA will take up a lot of your time. Be sure your communicate the skills you hope to develop and how the degree will better position you in your career.

You should be competitive at the schools you listed above; clearly, Wharton and Columbia should be your top priorities. The Stratus Prep team and I have extensive experience with the eMBA programs there as well as the Stern part-time program. I would consider adding Chicago, Kellogg, UCLA, Michigan, and Duke to your list as well.

Best of luck with your applications!

Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2012, 05:45