Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation-need advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation-need advise [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 21:41
Hi,

I need an advise for my situation.

I have been working on the gmat for more than a year now. I took gmat 3 times so far. Got 430 , 470 and 510 (just recently).
I have been trying very hard to get a good score but have exhausted myself now. I originally planned to apply in the third round.

Here is my profile.

Male, Indian, US citizen.
Undergrad: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
GPA: 2.95
Major: Electrical Engineering

Exp:
1 year right after school at Verizon Wireless as Network Engineer.
3 and half years at IBM in data center engineer and project manager roles

I was expecting a decent score (at least btw 600-650) since I was scoring close to 650 on practice tests.

I wanted to apply to UT Austin 3rd round full time MBA. Their gmat 80% range is 640-720. Do I stand any chance with my score 510, exp., good recs and essays considering that this is a 3rd round.

I am also thinking about Texas A&M full time, SMU, UT Dallas. Do you think I have shot at these schools.

Considering my low GMAT score, I am considering part time MBA as well for the aforementioned school. Can the part time MBA at these school can be valuable for career transition? Do I have better chance in getting in to part time than full time?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation-need advise [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Dont stress yourself out, we all been in this same rocking boat. I been stuck within a certain GMAT score spectrum for a while as well.

I dont know how beneficial a part time MBA would be to your career or whether a full time would leverage your career prospects. This is a call you need to take & take it with a lot of foresight & deep introspection.

As for your GMAT, have you tried taking a GMAT coaching class? I know the blood things are really expensive but maybe its your fundamentals that need polishing. Hitting a 650 is relatively easier once you have solid fundas

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation-need advise [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 15:02
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I have taken classes before. As a matter of fact twice. Have been practice own my own for last couple of months. When I saw my score near 650 on gmat prep exams, I thought is a good time give GMAT. Really not sure what happen on the actual GMAT?

Anyway, more than it sounds painful that I have to take the exam 4th time, I think its the last(3rd round) deadlines for full time MBAs and specifically UT Austin which is on March 26th that I am concerned about.

My specific question is am I in any shape to apply for it with the score I have and other components of application as I have stated in my first post?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation-need advise [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 20:03
Hi,

According to me with a 510 you really have a tough time explaining to the adcomm why you are suited for UT Austin. Usually in R3 your profile should suit above average population of the college as most of the seats are already full.

In my opinion you should try to bell the GMAT once again & this time try to focus on where you are going wrong. Use the error log to pin point your pain areas & work really hard on them.

Further improve your applicant profile, WE will automatically improve & maybe a promotion can help you along.

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Re: Profile Evaluation-need advise   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2012, 20:03